Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Pain in forearm while doing curls

irezumi
irezumi
United States
2002/07/31, 12:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this like I am. I have been working out for roughly 5 months with no problems other than the sore spot here and there, but in the last month or so I've noticed when doing my preacher curls the bone in my arm is in pain, not bad, bad, serious pain, but it does hurt pretty good. This only occurs while doing the curls, once finished they do not hurt at all. I know that sounds kinda weird but it does not feel like the muscle on my forearm at all, it actually feels like the bone itself is what is hurting. It is the thinner of the two bones in the forearm and is the one facing inward while doing my curls. Also I should note that there was no difference in weight or how I performed the curls between the time it did not hurt and now, so I don't think it's a result of too much weight or changing how I do the curls because I have not. Any insight would be appreciated as I'm the type who won't go to the DR. unless I'm coughing up a lung, but if it needs looking at then I'll go. Thanks in advance!

----------------------------
IREZUMI

only a fool tastes buttermilk in hopes of tasting real butt.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/07/31, 12:59 PM
It might be a strain, or the dreaded tendonitist...get it looked at

--------------
"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" LIFT HARD AND OFTEN!!!!!!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/07/31, 01:11 PM
Yes, I have had this for 12 years. It is similar to elbow pain and certain tricep exercises. Find alternatives. Whenever going heavy on straightbar bb curls, I feel it in both forearms, on the inside. It sucks! I have never ridded myself of it, just worked around it. I have not been inhibited by it as you say in any other exercise, or in life. I would back off the weight, try doing one arm db concentration curls instead. Basically don't do that which causes pain. Pretty simple. I am sure if you check out many of the other bicep exercises you'll find some that give you a great pump minus the pain and inflamation.
Good luck. Let us know what you discover.
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/31, 01:44 PM
You should definitaly get it looked at by a doctor. In the mean time, try reducing the weight and wearing wrist straps for support.

--------------
Anything can be done
billygoodnick
billygoodnick
United States
2002/08/09, 06:12 PM
I had the same thing for about 6 months. It always felt worse after doing lat pull-downs on a machine and I realized that my grip was too tight and I'd get a stabbing pain the in muscled about 2 inches below my elbow (on the "front" side. My remedy was in 3 steps and now I can do it all with some maintenance stretches. 1) moderate amounts of ibuprophen, 2) deep (to the point of almost hurting) massage into the slight "valley" between the two muscles in the meaty part of the forearm. This included using my thumb to perform accupressure-type massage. It seems to let the muscle release, 3) two stretches gently pulling the muscle--the first is to hold your arm out straight, fingers pointing down, then use the other hand to grasp your above your knuckles and gently pull back toward you. This will stretch the top surface of your arm. Then rotate your arm so the underside of your forearm is facing up, aim your fingers toward the ground, and pull them back toward you with the other hand. I did this about 20 times a day and in about 2 weeks, all the pain released. Now I just make sure I do these stretches frequently while I'm working out so the stiffness doesn't have a chance to build up and compound itself. Hope this helps.

--------------
The farthest journey begins with a single step.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/08/24, 12:04 AM
Have you given forearm tendonitis any thought? I have this periodically, and it is very painful. It will get so painful it feels sometimes like it is in different parts of the arm! I found and anti-inflamatory and some blue-ice you can buy anywhere really does wonders. But the only thing that really works is rest, and I just try to get through till between contests and then try to rest it.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/24, 01:26 AM
After 5 months of training you have progressed right? And you need to take heavier now to feel the burn in the biceps.
Maybe your forearms simply cannot follow you.

A very good idea is to stop doing ANY curls for a week or two but concentrate hard on strengthen your forearms (lots of different wrist curls....).

You'll see, when you'll go back to doing normal curls, you'll be ten times stronger.

Now this could be one reason, also bb1fit could be right about the tendinitis so do be careful.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.