Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

military workout

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/12/02, 05:13 PM
I was interested in what kind of results a military workout routine will give me, i.e no weights but plenty of crunches, pushups, chinups...
HugeSpider52
HugeSpider52
United States
2005/01/15, 10:39 PM
Hi Froshman ... Are you interested in joining the military or do you just want the benefits. I am a six year active duty veteran of the U.S. Army (BTW). Military physical training is only designed to prepare soldiers for the rigors of combat (could you imagine if we had a bunch of overweight troops over in Iraq or Afghanistan?) Because of the helpful benefits exercise gives us ... keeping us healthly, it lowers stress, etc., etc ... so to make sure soldiers are in good shape they are given a physical fitness test four times a year (at least in the Army and two of them are for the record). This test consists of two minutes of push ups, two minutes of sit ups, and a two mile run!! Now to prepare for this ... the only thing that will improve push ups is push ups, but they must be done right ... no going to your knees and keep your body as a single unit, all going down at the same time ... you can probably access FM 21-20 via the internet and that will give you more ideas ... if you want more information I can give you a sample program that had me doing 76 pushups in two minutes and I could have done more ... and running a 14 minute two mile .... ttyl.

--------------
Tim

"Do or do not ... there is no try."
-- Yoda (Always wise and venerable)
2005/01/16, 02:11 AM
military workouts are quite a bit incomplete....I suggest you do bodybuilding/powerlifting style workouts and maybe incorporate military stuff in conjuction....Military workouts build muscle endurance but not really muscle....what are your goals?....similar to taking 5 lb dumbells are running 5 miles...hoping to get 20 inch arms...
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/16, 09:37 AM
Menace, I challenge you to put on a 70lb pack and walk for 25 miles and then tell me if a military workout is incomplete. Your workout may be considered incomplete. How is your cardio conditioning? Just because you are big and muscle bound doesnt mean that you are in great physical shape. Can you run five miles without pulling one of your muscles or passing out? I take offense to your statement.

--------------
I agree with everything asimmer says.
chisled
chisled
Australia
2005/01/16, 09:29 PM
I'd be interested in that program
2005/01/17, 05:11 AM
hec I had a feeling someone would take offense to what I said...but once again...you didn't prove anything I said wrong and merely restated what I already said...if you want to build muscular and cardio endurance go right ahead and run marathons.....will that make you look like ronnie coleman? NO....even come close? no....

I went hiking before as a kid with probably close to 50+ pounds strapped to me in camp for 10+ miles(in Yosemite)...so I hope grown men can carry 70 and go for 25....so those military 'workouts' don't intimidate me....once again I am not putting it down....all I am saying is for the purpose that guy was interested in military workouts are not the best choice nor are they complete in bodybuilding/powerlifting sense....if you think you can get to 300 bench by doing 20 lb for 1000 reps go right ahead because that's what you're suggesting with a pack and walk for 25 miles....once again you're questioning my cardio conditioning when the original question had nothing to do with cardio ....

And yes I have run long distances...on HS cross country team I ran in practice 8 miles several times a week....I wasn't fast but I built up my endurance ....Now I play basketball coupel times a week for 3+ hours at times....so my cardio conditioning is great....thanks for asking....
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/17, 07:53 AM
OK first of all you dont even know what the guys goals are, you just assumed because you are a big muscle head that everyone else wants the same goals as you. Secondly you said that military workouts were incomplete. How are they incomplete? They get a person ready for war, so tell me how that can be incomplete? Thirdly dont tell me what I am suggesting. I never said that lifting 20 lbs 1000 times would get you a 300lb bench. Here is a suggestion for you. I would suggest that you read the original question much clearly before you respond with your muscle bound answers.

--------------
2005/01/17, 07:50 PM
'workout routine will give me, i.e no weights but plenty of crunches, pushups, chinups...'

^^^^that is a question about anerobic exercise....am I wrong?

'Thirdly dont tell me what I am suggesting. I never said that lifting 20 lbs 1000 times would get you a 300lb bench.'

^^^^^that was an analogy to your suggesting me that I need to put on 70lb pack and go walk for 25 miles to prove my fitness when the original question quite clearly was asking for anerobic suggestions....

You don't need to be especially strong to go to war....you need to be 'genereally fit'...not to be able to bench press 300 lb or run a marathon(That vet up top said you have to run 2 miles in 14 minutes....I was by far the worst person on my team and run it in 13 in HS...which doesn't say much for standards)....or deadlift 500 or whatever else is a good measure of strength or cardio.....you just need to be in avg shape(although with avg american overweight...this is quite cleary a misnomer...good but not great shape?)

-i'll censor myself here on what it takes to go to /be prepared for war so that I don't offend other people with my rant

finally I had people like in the original post ask such questions many times before with similar phrasing in order to get strong and gain muscle....so perhaps I assumed to a degree....but it still quite cleary dealt with weight lifting/anerobic training....
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/17, 08:43 PM
I didn't have problem with you saying that the military workout would not get you anerobic gains, I also know that to be a fact. I had a problem with you saying that the workout was incomplete. The workout is not incomplete because it serves a purpose, and that purpose is to keep you in peak condition for war. You would be best not to even consider trying to tell me what it takes to get prepared for a war, and I think that you need to show a little more respect for the men and women who fight hard to defend our freedom. The guy who was talking about the 14:00 for two miles was talking about the army standard, which to be blunt is not as high as the Marine Corps standard, but I wont get into that. Let me just say that it takes alot more mental conditioning than physical conditioning to be in a war.

--------------
2005/01/17, 10:14 PM
Thank God for the marines. Thank God the marines have the navy to drive 'em around.

--------------
Dances with humans

Charlie
2005/01/18, 02:06 AM
Let me rephrase so you understand me better....military training is useful for the purpose it's designed for...ie military purposes .....however when you try to extend this training to other areas like bodybuilding/powerlifting it doesn't work very well....it's incomplete in that sense...

alhough I respect people willing to sacrifice their lives for their country and applaud their bravery.....I do not see them fighting for our freedom.....this is not WWII and you're not a jew living in Berlin so don't tell me things you don't comprehend yourself...American freedom was never in danger; not even during WWII......it would be best to research the issues before repeating the same rhetoric fed by the government and the media......but then 51% of Americans voted for bush....so there that goes....

also by what you said....since it takes more mental than physical training to prepare for war....and military training is good at preparing soldiers for war...then so it follows that military training is better at preparing soldiers psychologically/mentally for war than physically.....
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2005/01/18, 08:31 AM
Oh man Hec be Nice please

--------------
If you can itch your nose after arm day...do another set!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 08:34 AM
Yep, I think it's going to be ugly too Mutt.

--------------
Anni

Quoting Michael: Your future is beckoning, pay attention to the call.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 09:43 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 09:50 AM
Moderators, please delete my last post. I got hot under the collar and I got personal. Menace is entitled to his views and beliefs. Lets just keep it to the subject, he is correct a military workout is not going to get you anabolic gains. I only had a problem with his initial statement that a military workout is incomplete, which I believe is false. Menace sorry I got personal, I dont even want to get into this subject.

--------------
oldschool
oldschool
United States
2005/01/18, 10:46 AM
Hi, I'm in the U. S. Army as well. The military workouts works ok but it is quite easy to hit a wall. Doing a lot of pushups and situps imo has a lot more to do with muscle memory. I agree with hec about the having a ruck on your back and doing 28 miles or more.Just like everything else you have to work up to that point.
On the other hand I agree with Men. It works wonders for me just to add those exercises to my existing workout sched.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 10:49 AM
Sounds to me like you are picking a fight with me cocksucker. No offense.

============
Quoting from baskey:

Hecdarec all you do is pick fights on this board.
People come on here all the time to do that. but you are a FT proffesional, why would you pay for the membership and behave like you do?
If I were a moderator I would kick you off for good.
No offence by the way.

=============

--------------
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 10:51 AM
Oh and I changed my signature so I could be cute like you.

--------------
Baskey is a cocksucker.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 10:52 AM
Oh and please tell your alter ego CBAS that I said hello

--------------
CBAS and Baskey are cocksuckers.
crispy01
crispy01
United States
2005/01/18, 10:53 AM

What are you doing right now Baskey? Sounds like to me you are tryin to pick a fight. You are criticizing Hec for doing the exact thing that you are doing. It seems to being that you are being a hypocrite, and then trying to act like the better person by saying "No offense." How is not going to take offense?
============
Quoting from baskey:

Hecdarec all you do is pick fights on this board.
People come on here all the time to do that. but you are a FT proffesional, why would you pay for the membership and behave like you do?
If I were a moderator I would kick you off for good.
No offence by the way.

=============
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 10:55 AM
I didnt pick a fight, I simply disagreed with a statement that was made. CBAS/Baskey does not like it when anybody disagrees with him because he is a cocksucker.

--------------
Did I mention that CBAS and Baskey are cocksuckers?
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 10:59 AM
Are we allowed to say cocksucker?

--------------
Anni

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 11:01 AM
Only if you are a proffesional member. Apparently that gives you a whole lot of slack.

--------------
I wouldnt call you a cocksucker if I didnt truly believe that you were a cocksucker. So if I accuse you of being a cocksucker, you must really be a cocksucker.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 11:05 AM
American Express was right, membership really does have privileges.

--------------
Anni

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 06:17 PM
See? Even menace loves a good Puffin story. I mean who wouldn't?

We should make the Puffin the official FT mascot.

--------------
Anni

Dances with Puffins
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 06:21 PM
Puff 'n Stuff?

--------------
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE AND USE FIT BUDDY!!!!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2005/01/18, 06:23 PM
Huffin & Puffin. We'd need to get an official Freetrainers Puffin song (altho sure a few people on here could come up with a wee limerick to sing). Also need to think about clothing. Spandex! Bright pink! Lovely.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 06:32 PM
A wee limerick? Well here ya go lassie!

There once was a Free Trainers Puffin
His face with sea bass he was stuffin’
It wasn’t a fluke
That he finally puked
And switched to a diet of muffin.

--------------
Anni

Dances with Puffins
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2005/01/18, 06:33 PM
Just read one of the other threads. We've got our mascot a song.

Altogether now . . .

============
Quoting from howdiekat:

i'm a little puffin short and stout
here is my beak, we'll call it my snout.
when i lose my coffee cup i shout,
"anni take your boobies out."
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 11:55 AM
Dude... you have a lot of time on your hands...

--------------
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle
2005/01/18, 12:02 PM
Get a life cbas. It's obvious the only reason you and all your personalities are here for the sole purpose of disrupting and to argue. Nearly every post you make is pugnacious and argumentative. Why not just leave?

--------------
Dances with humans

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 12:04 PM
Nice use of 'pugnacious!':big_smile:

--------------

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 12:05 PM
can you believe that this person has pro created?

--------------
I agree with everything that asimmer says.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 12:07 PM
Pugnacious! That really was outstanding word use. I had to look it up, it's on the same page as Puffin, one of my favorite birds.

--------------
Anni

2005/01/18, 12:07 PM
I would have said he was a pugnacious little shit but that's bringing personalities into it and frowned upon by management.

--------------
Dances with humans

Charlie
2005/01/18, 12:10 PM
Hec my fault was that I didn't clearly express myself at the very onset....I didn't mean military workouts to be incomplete in the purpose they were designed for....overall fitness...which is great

however, the guy in the original post was leaning more towards getting gains in anerobic exercise....and since army military training has great reputation...the guy concluded that would be a great way to get strong and get muscular....however....in that sense it's incomplete....you will not become like Arnold doing it...this is merely what I was saying....just look at the guy that set world record for push ups....4,500+ in an hour?

we have very different views on the military and politics...so lets just keep our talk fitness related....unless you decide to move to west coast/san fran and become a liberal...:)

Cbas explain to me the need to paste the whole thread? it's visible to everyone....also why get involved in something that was between hec and I?
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 12:14 PM
Glad we could clear the air in an adult manner menace. Perhaps some others could learn a lesson from us.

--------------
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 12:16 PM
Look up, I can see every post that I made except for the one that I asked to be deleted. All the posts from CBAS have been deleted because he is fucking retarded and retards are not allowed to post on this board.

--------------
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 12:18 PM
Excuse me, but I believe the topic has been turned to Puffins. Surely someone has a tale of Puffin heroism or something personal they can relate regarding the wonderful Puffin.

--------------
Anni

2005/01/18, 12:19 PM
Look again cbas. Menace aint a pro member. And just go away.

============
Quoting from hikat:

wow here come the pro's sticking together as predicted.
=============

--------------
Dances with humans

Charlie
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/18, 12:19 PM
you are going to give yourself cancer. please refrain from using any screen name that resembles mine as i have had no part in any of this.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/18, 12:27 PM
Once upon a time in the northern regions, there were several see birds with black and white plummage, and verticall flattened, brightly colored bills. These birds came to be known as puffins, and they all lived together in a happy community. One day a new puffin joined the group and he was slightly different from everyone. He would throw fits whenever the other puffin's did not agree with him. Often times he would superimpose himself as another puffin to cause panic and distress. One day while he was in the middle of one of his puffin tirades, a sexy puffin with a bunch of tattoos came over and ripped his brightly colored bill off. This caused happiness and joy throughout the puffin community. Before he knew it all of the female puffins (dfly puffin, howdie puffin, anni puffin, amy puffin, and princess puffin) wanted to carry hec puffin's puffin eggs and hatch them to create more great puffins. Poor CBAS puffin was banned to his own island where he was forced to hear stories from NEOV puffin, and godlike puffin, and CBAS2 puffin, and paskey puffin, and top moderator puffin. And so goes the story of the puffin community. The end.

--------------
CBAS is my mortal enemy.
morpheus1
morpheus1
United States
2005/01/18, 12:27 PM
um, no, I can see that one.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 12:30 PM
Applause! Hec, what a great Puffin story. I just love Puffin stories. Did you know that a puffin can fly 48 to 55 mph (77 to 88 km/hr). The puffin beats its wings rapidly to achieve this speed reaching up to 400 beats a minute. Not everyone can do that.

--------------
Anni

2005/01/18, 01:19 PM
god can't believe a small misunderstanding grew to 50+ posts ....or whatever it says now...

It must be nice online to just create 10 alter egos all to agree with you...can you imagine in real life you say soemthign ourageous and then talk in 9 other different voices pretending to be some1 else in order to say how much you agree with your first alter ego...

darechec when 2 guys are fighting do you get between them and lean in with your jaw to see where that takes you? just wondering....
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 01:24 PM
Do you think puffins eat sea bass?
============
Quoting from anni313:

Applause! Hec, what a great Puffin story. I just love Puffin stories. Did you know that a puffin can fly 48 to 55 mph (77 to 88 km/hr). The puffin beats its wings rapidly to achieve this speed reaching up to 400 beats a minute. Not everyone can do that.

=============

--------------

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 01:28 PM
Adult puffins mostly eat small fish, such as sand eels, herring, hake and capelin. Puffin diets vary from colony to colony because of the variety of fish around the breeding islands. During winter puffins may also eat crustaceans, but their preferred food is fish.

I'm guessing that if sea bass are available and of the right size that Puffins eat them. A Puffin can hold up to 10 fish in it's mouth at one time. Not everyone can do that.

--------------
Anni

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm.. there is apparently about ten different types of sea bass today....

--------------

howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/18, 01:32 PM
i prefer chilean sea bass. it has a light, flaky texture. unfortunately, it is about $17.99/pound.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/01/18, 01:34 PM
Well, I've never really been a big fan of a lot of sea food... my desire to taste sea bass is waning...

--------------

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last