Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

i need personal advice

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/11, 04:37 PM
ok. well i have been hanging out with a group of friends for about 2 years now. i actually hung out with them a couple of years before that but only a few times during those years. they were actually originally my brothers friends but my brother started taking me out with him and we became friends. anyway i feel like they are not actually my friends. they very rarely call me and when i call them they sometimes dont return my calls. also, when i ask them to go places they say no but when my brother asks them tehy say yes. i mentioned the other day that it was going to be my birthday soon and they didn't even say anything. they showed no indication of caring. they are not the best people to be hanging out with as they are recreational drug users and they don't acknowldege favors. however, i have accept that and i like them as friends anyway. the big problem is that i am "too young" I am going to be 17 in less than 2 months and they are 18,19,and a couple just turned 20. i personally do not see age as a factor of friendship but apparently they do. Today i called one of them to go to the gym (I got him to sign up) and he told me "I'm 20 why would i go to the gym with a little kid." I guess one of the reasons I like hanging out with them is that they are more mature then the kids my age that I know. I consider myself to be mature too. For instance i don't make jokes about genetalia, I don't disrespect rules or laws, etc. I am trying to be their friend but I don't think they are accpeting me even after knowing each other for years. I can't decide if I should ever hang out with them again. I am feeling upset, angry, and confused all at the same time.

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/02/11, 04:43 PM
My guess is since they are 20-ish... they can likely do things you aren't allowed to yet... go to the bars, clubs, etc....

Maybe it's time for new friends.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/11, 04:47 PM
Yeah, sounds like a bunch of guys you don't need.

make osme friends at the gym with guys your age, there have to be other mature 17 year-olds out there.

--------------
Accept your limitations and they are yours.

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/11, 05:13 PM
alright thanks alot. yea i guess your both right. i have friends at school but they are smart and all they do is play video games and stuff like that. which i don't like to do. i play tennis with a few of them sometimes though.

--------------
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/02/11, 05:19 PM
Maybe convince them video games aren't the be all end all.... take 'em to the gym.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/11, 05:32 PM
lol. actually one of them goes to the same gym as me. i see him there sometimes but I work out with my brother so I don't work out with him. Although, somtimes he'll join in.

--------------
magic26
magic26
United States
2008/02/11, 06:03 PM
Dude, I still make jokes about genetalia and I am 26, Im confused is this bad? Haha. AND I play video games wow my character has been insulted in this thread :cool:

I still go to school and work full time and hit the gym up every day. Im not a bad person :dumbbell::laugh:
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2008/02/11, 08:58 PM
lol no... im talking about how for example someone will say can i borrow a pencil and they'll say "i'll ur gross." thats just one example. and i mean my friends spend their friday nights playing video games or having video game tournaments. its fine to play occasionally.

--------------
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/12, 01:09 PM
Maybe try working out with that guy from your school, or invite him to join in more often. Maybe it will link you into a new group of friends. Are there any group sports or anything that you enjoy? Like football or baseball? Not sure why I think you look like a baseball player (aside from the hat), but anyway, maybe a team sport would help you make some new friends.
And besides, if you do continue to hang with this group, when you are 28 and they ask you to go out and party with them, you can say "I'm 28, why would I want to hang out with an old man?" Good luck. Being a teenager sucks. You couldn't PAY me to go back there.
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/02/12, 05:25 PM
They have no respect for you

next time you see them go about your own business. When one of them tries to bother you tell him you've had a bad day and don't want to be bothered, when he tries to bother you say look man i was serious about not wanting to be bothered, next time he tries you break his fucking nose. They might like you they might not but after this they'll respect you
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/12, 07:22 PM
I'm going to pass on the best advice I've ever received.

YOU ARE THE AVERAGE OF YOUR FIVE CLOSEST FRIENDS.

Think about what you want to be, and then choose carefully.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2008/02/13, 08:30 AM
I have heard that before..show me who your friends are...and I will show you who you are.

never settle:)
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/17, 11:28 AM
I've always heard... 'you are the company you keep' and 'known by association'. Always remember that a true friend is someone who will always be there for you no matter what. Another good thing to keep in mind is that you are your own person, and I believe it's bb1fit on here has a tag pertaining to this stating 'stand for something or fall for anything'. You stick to your beliefs and convictions you will find true friends along the way who will respect you and fill your life with happiness. As for those guys you were talking about, guaranteed in 10 yrs. most of them will be the same guy they are today, without progression through their life.

So always believe in yourself and strive to do better day in and day out, and though it doesn't seem to make a difference today when you look back in 10 yrs. you will be so glad you moved on to bigger and better things and hopefully you can use amyksmith76's advice.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/17, 11:34 AM
When I said 'hopefully you can use amyksmith76's advice.' I meant the last bit, where you would throw it back in his face about being an old man.

As for what olibobwa said, I think that's the worse advice I've ever heard. Why would you want to pick a fight with someone? It takes a real man to be smart and avoid confrontation. By this I dont mean cowaring away, I mean standing up for yourself and using your brain and mouth to outsmart a threat and avoid a fight. However if it doesn't work by all means you must stand up for yourself, but that doesn't mean trolling for a fight.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/02/17, 08:46 PM
I found that the friends i was attracted to were different than me, our diffences were what actually pulled us together, sorta like the breakfast club.... I was lucky as a kid, i was funny and smart and well liked in school, thus i had many " Friends " throughout school, some where older, some where younger, i took from each person what i enjoyed about them and applied myself, be it at the gym with my football friends, or the arcade or computer class with my geek friends or at a party with my stoner friends, and i had hella fun......

Today i have a close knit group of those very friends, lets say about 10-15 of us stay in touch regualry, family outings, pool parties, kids b-days and such, but the thing is some of us are 40+ and some in their 30's. Some are Cops and Air marshalls, some still grow their own weed hydroponically in their cellar, some such as myself have spend time in the navy and played football and boxed and play the piano, and some of us draw cartoons for DC comics and one of us works for the boston aquarium feeding and taking care of rock hopper penguins, but we all have one thing in common, thats is the need to be near one another to get that special part from each other we are missing in our own lives...... dood, you are almost 17, you wont have to look far to find a close friend, its ment to be it will be, you should'nt have to force a friendship, if you do, than its not what you are looking for.....

1 last thing, never, i mean never let a girl come between friends, girls come and go but friends are there forever. i mean, ya sure fall in love and such, have 10 kids and all but dont forget poker night at jay's, or the cookout ay my house on the 4th, or tina marie's 11th birthday, catch my drift ?

--------------
How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget.. you dont expect an easy answer
When something like a soul becomes
Initialized and folded up like paper dolls and little notes
You cant expect a bit of hope
So while youre outside looking in
Describing what you see
Remember what youre staring at is me.
----------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Bill

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/02/17, 10:19 PM
Bill's last paragraph really makes sense! Not to say all of it didn't.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/18, 12:59 PM
So what krupica? The rest of my advice wasn't good? ha ha.

============
Quoting from krupica:

When I said 'hopefully you can use amyksmith76's advice.' I meant the last bit, where you would throw it back in his face about being an old man.

=============
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/18, 03:12 PM
well... the rest of it was ok too I guess;)

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/02/28, 02:20 AM

I've tried that way before, more times than I'd like to remember. I find my way makes me feel a lot better the next day...despite the broken fingers and black eyes
============
Quoting from krupica:

As for what olibobwa said, I think that's the worse advice I've ever heard. Why would you want to pick a fight with someone? It takes a real man to be smart and avoid confrontation. By this I dont mean cowaring away, I mean standing up for yourself and using your brain and mouth to outsmart a threat and avoid a fight. However if it doesn't work by all means you must stand up for yourself, but that doesn't mean trolling for a fight.

=============
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/28, 10:17 AM
You find that trolling for a fight makes you feel better? You sound like a real stand up guy. I'm wondering what it is that you feel you have to over-compensate for?

As I said, if you HAVE to fight, then by all means. But why cause it?

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/02/28, 03:08 PM
look man read slower this time. My advice was to tell them he didn't want to be around them and to make sure they understand that he doesn't want to be around them...and if they persist to bother him to stand up for himself
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/02/28, 04:58 PM
Play nice boys.