Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

I am getting afraid

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/02/26, 04:54 PM
Awhile ago I became very anxious about something going on in life and I absolutely could not put an ounce of food in my mouth and ended up loosing about 6 pounds which isn't healthy for me. I weight 116-188 and I am 5'5". I am getting frustrated because I want to loose those 6 pounds again but in a healthy way and I cannot seem to do so. I eat 5-6 times a day and healthy and I do cardio and lifting 5-6 times a week. I gained back those 6 pounds but I am getting afraid that I might start to not want to eat again to see results. Any advice?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/02/26, 05:00 PM
Since you already have it in your mind that that is not the healthy course of action, I hope that you will listen to yourself. You should never be in a hurry to lose unwanted weight as the healthy way takes time, patience and perseverance. You will also find lots of motivation and encouragement here!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/02/26, 09:42 PM
I have been on this site for over a year now and I am feeling very frustrated because I have hit that typical plateau and I cannot seem to shake it. I don't want my mentality to turn the wrong way but it is frustrating.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/02/27, 03:30 AM
But how do you look in the mirror?
It has been ages since the last time I weighted myself, the balance just make me frustrated.
If you have been training for one year now maybe those extra 6 lbs are lean muscle mass....?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2004/02/27, 11:31 AM
Lucy, Philia's advice is really great. It's easy to focus on the numbers when they really aren't an accurate measure of results. I'm terrible about doing that so finally I got the scale out of the house. Now I feel a lot better. It's hard for me to use the mirror as a guide, so I try to go by how my clothes fit.

My sister is going through a divorce right now and has lost a lot of weight by not eating, and I actually have been able to watch her LOSE definition as her muscle mass decreases. That was a real motivator for me to continue a healthy program.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/02/27, 04:26 PM
My clothes don't really feel any different all, that is what is so frustrating. I am not too sure what to do anymore.
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2004/03/08, 08:27 AM
Not sure but isnt 5-6 times a day a bit too much eating? Unless your trying to gain mass. I struggle to eat 4 times a day.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/08, 08:32 AM
I eat at least 5 small meals a day and have lost 25lbs while adding some size to my biceps. It is possible to loose eating that much. each meal only needs to be 300-500 calories....good protein and some complex carbs! Alos drink a lot of water about 1-2 gallons a day

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/03/08, 08:58 AM
Small meals do help a bunch. I start the day with my list of healthy foods which totals up to about 1000 calories. Sometimes it takes me literally all day to eat everything on my list. I'm constantly paying attention to whether or not I am hungry and then forcing myself to respond. It's hard, and it is scary, but I'm not gaining weight and I know pretty soon I'll start losing. My goal is to lose 10lbs and work my way up to 1200 calories a day.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/09, 07:14 PM
Okay, I added more protein to my diet. Now my diet is this:
Breakfast:oatmeal with bran and coffee.
10am snack: celery with peanut butter and chamomile tea
Lunch: can of tuna with hot sauce and a banana
3pm snack: pretzels and a pear
Dinner: meat and a veggie.
I drink at least a half gallon of water every day.

I am still at the same weight, what am I doing wrong?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/10, 06:53 PM
Protein at breakfast - add some.

Add some veggies or wasa crisp at lunch

A few sticks of low fat string cheese at 3 pm snack

You don't eat enough, your body won't give up fat that way. Your body will burn muscle and slow down your metabolism to conserve. Trust in me and eat a little more.

Stop weighing your self and get your body composition taken with calipers once a month. You will see whther you are gaining muscle (desired) losing fat (desired), getting no change (need to adjust diet or workout) or gaining fat(no good) and losing muscle (moving backwards).

If you want change you have to trust people who know how to get it.

Let me know if you need help.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/11, 10:50 PM
I am trying. I just am feeling so down because I have been doing this for like a year. But I will continue to try and add some more protein.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/12, 08:48 AM
If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting.

I don't hear anyone on this site saying they love their diet, they follow their diets because they work and are necessary. Suck it up and shove some more clean calories.

I'm an anorexic but I don't want to be. When I ask for help and someone takes the time to give me advice, I take their suggestions and advice and then I make myself do it. If you know you are doing something wrong, doing it harder won't make it work any better, no matter how much you complain. If I can do it, so can you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

--------------
Anni

Never pet a burning dog.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/12, 08:21 PM
If you are taking other suggestions and advice, then why anni313 are you anorexic?
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/12, 08:38 PM
I'm here trying to get well and so far my progress is fabulous. Anorexia doesn't go away, it's always there waiting for you. The best thing I can do for myself is to stay with this site because the people here show me every day that food isn't my enemy. I spent the last 4 years eating less than 800 calories a day, slowly starving to death. Since I came here I'm not doing that to myself anymore. I feel so much better and I look better too. Anorexia gave me a way to control what I perceived as chaos, this lifestyle let's me control the chaos without risking my life and I'm happy. I have to do the work every minute of every day, but I think I'm worth it.

--------------
Anni

Never pet a burning dog.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/12, 10:51 PM
You are worth, we are all worth it! Lucy, don't get snippy. Anni is trying to lead by example - it takes a huge effort to turn away from disordered eating.

The gods don't make trash.

--------------
konary
konary
Canada
2004/04/13, 12:37 AM
Lucy, you have been doing the same routine for a year. Your body have probably adapted to your routine as a result. If you are not seeing any results it's time to change things. Let your body know that it can't rely on your routine any more. Change your workout and diet routines. Change intensity, duration and the machines that you workout with normally. Change the diet as suggested by experienced people. And stick to it for one month.

You certainly have the will power and motivation if you can stick to a program that didn't give you any results for a year. I, myself, will go crazy for a couple of weeks than change my routine again if I don't see any results in a month. Just try the new routine for a month and if nothing changes, you can always go back to your old routine. But I think it will work, if you follow through. :love:
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/13, 10:24 PM
I wasn't getting snippy. But if someone is going to tell me that I am complaining and not taking advice, they need to first think about their own life and actions before making a judgement or call about me.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/14, 11:51 AM
I think you are taking things too persona;;y. Anni was simply trying to help by exposing her own disorder and giving an example of needing to take advice and not continue in the same rut that got one into the place they are.
No one is here to judge you. You can do that enough on your own.

We are here to help you, give you advice, tell you how we apply the advice given to us.

Application of knowledge is the biggest missing factor in most people's quest for success. i can't even count how many of my clients begin our consultation with the sentence "I know what I should be doing/eating".

Knowledge is powerful, applied it is unstoppable.

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/17, 10:29 AM
That's the whole thing, I know what I should be eating and doing in terms of exercise and I am applying it. I just don't know how I can possibly eat any more. I keep receiving advice to eat more and I eat 5-6 times a day, I am not too sure how much more my body can injest and that's why it is so hard to apply everyone's advice. I am going to buy some protein mix and mix it in with my oatmeal for breakfast since that isn't something that is totally solid and filling.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/17, 10:52 AM
Try adding a low carb Slimfast shake somewhere in your day. The vanilla has 190 cal, 9g fat, 7g carb, 5g fiber, 20g protein. I had to add one shake and one meal replacement bar because I just could NOT eat enough. The shakes are good and they don't make you feel full like food does and take just a few minutes to drink. They are helping me a lot and I'll bet they will help you too. If you have a Sam's Club in your area you can find a case of 15 for $16.95. Keep pushing!

--------------
Anni

Never pet a burning dog.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/17, 11:20 AM
Yes, in another post anni stated that she has lost 3 lbs since geting her calories up. This is someting I see with my clients all of the time, once they give their bodies what they need, they drop the stored weight.

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/19, 10:49 PM
Should I replace a meal with the shake or add it to like my regular breakfast?
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/20, 07:20 AM
Don't replace a meal with the slimfast, the idea is for you to increase your calories, not decrease them. Slimfast, for you and I, is not a good substitute for green leafies and high quality protein. It is however a good addition, loaded with vitamins and good protein and calories. Just add one to your day, sometime before 3pm.

Make sure you get the low carb version, not the regular.

I'm really proud of you!:love:

--------------
Anni

Freud was WRONG!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/20, 10:03 AM
Thank you for your encouragement. I goofed and could not find the low carb slimfast. I drank it with my oatmeal for breakfast instead of coffee. Does that sound reasonable?
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/20, 12:55 PM
I think it's totally okay since your calorie intake is so low to begin with. It makes for a pretty high carb breakfast, but it's at the beginning of your day so you will surely burn em up. Next time you buy it though, be sure to get low carb that way you can have it later in the day if you want to. How did you feel for the morning?

--------------
Anni

Freud was WRONG!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/20, 06:36 PM
My stomach was royally messed up from the Slimfast. I think there is too much sugar in it. I felt a little bit more full and didn't feel too hungry for my next meal which scares me a bit.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/20, 07:11 PM
Lucy, it only has 2g of sugar in it, not enough to mess up anything. For a frame of reference, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter has 1.5g of sugar. I'm thinking combining it with the oatmeal was too much fiber for you. Have your shake about 2 hours after breakfast, it should work better for you. It's really good that you are trying, keep it up.

--------------
Anni

Freud was WRONG!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/28, 10:55 AM
ARgh, I am drinking the Slimfast, adding more protein, eating tuna and nuts and I am gaining more weight. How long will this take before I stop gaining and start loosing?
michelle34
michelle34
United States
2004/04/28, 03:40 PM
What is your exercise routine? Lift weights, it doesn't have to be a strenous workout, but lifting weights will not only define muscle, but burn calories faster. I don't know if that helps, but good luck.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/28, 04:11 PM
I lift weights every other day and then do cardio on the alternate days.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/28, 11:14 PM
Why don't you post your current diet so we can analyze it. This is where your problem lies. You must be well above maintenance in order to be gaining weight while doing weights and cardio every day, or you are eating too little and your metabolism has slowed in response. The body is smart, it does not care about looking good at the beach, it is programmed from early on for survival. This means retaining fat stores for fuel. For the activity level you are doing, you should be able to tap into your fat stores, therefore, diet needs to be checked.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/29, 08:40 AM
bb1fti: I have been trying to post my diet in the diet tracker but some of the portions are totally off and it is a hard determiation:

Yesterday my diet was this:
7am: oatmeal with bran and green tea (I am trying to find a good protein mix to add in and just can't seem to find the brand I am looking for)
10am: celery with peanut butter
lunch: yogurt, banana, dried fruit, 20oz water
3pm: orange, almonds
dinner: 1 egg, tuna on a wrap with a glass of skim milk.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/04/29, 10:15 AM
Right off your diet is bad. Not enough protein and way to many sugar carbs. breakfast is good. For the 10am one more protein is needed. lunch you would be better with a piece of chicken, can of tuna, and like a salad and or 1 cup of brown rice yams etc. 3 pm almonds are ok but add tuna, and veges or something like that. Dinner def not enough food! especialy if you are workingout hard! BB I am sure will have more to say.....hope this helps!

--------------

Shakkai
Shakkai
United States
2004/04/29, 10:27 AM
WOW. I realize that I probably don't eat healthy enough, but even at my healthies, there is no way that I could life on your diet, Lucy. I agree with Mutt in that if you are working out, you need more food... otherwise you are burning muscle mass (not fat) cause their ain't nothing else to burn.
One of my dearest friends once told me that I will look like my family. While, I hope COMPLETELY look like them, some of my body shape does lend itself to my family. And you know what?! That's ok. That's life.
Man o man. Live a little! I realize that the hard core body builders in here only eat as a means of intake but for those of us who aren't body builders... enjoy the food! If I had to go a day in my life without having Fettucini Alfredo or Chicken Fried Steak once in awhile, I think I'd die. :laugh:
I hope I don't sound harsh because I really don't mean to be... but if you are concerned with your weight, work out as much as you do and keep this diet that you have in place, I don't understand how you could not burn muscle mass, as Jessica touched on (good to see you Jessica, btw).
Beings that you are concerned is a good thing. Keep after it. Know that people in here are concerned for all and want to see them succeed.:love:
Good luck.

--------------
Life moves pretty fast... if you do not stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. -Ferris Buller
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/29, 12:10 PM
Yikes! About 6 months ago I realized that I was eating way too much sugar because I started having stomach problems. So that is why I dedicated myself to eating fruits and veggie and less Alfredo (my favorited Shakkai!)and pasta. Now I guess I should start incorporating those foods again. I am off to go grocery shopping now for some string cheese and veggies and some dips and some protein mix, how does that sound?
Shakkai
Shakkai
United States
2004/04/30, 08:44 AM
YAY.:love: Don't overdo it, but you should be intaking more than your outputting... and I don't think that was your case. Just treat yourself once in awhile.
There's also healthy ways to enjoy like steak fajitas and casseroles and stuff like that. Don't be afraid to eat a bit more.
Keep after it Lucy and good luck!

--------------
Life moves pretty fast... if you do not stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. -Ferris Buller
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/30, 08:49 AM
Thanks Shakkai. I went shopping yesterday and bought some low-carb Slim Fast shakes for my inbetween meal snacks and some cheese sticks and I am going to make some pudding.

I had a 2 hour volleyball game last night and I ate a hoagie before and then afterwards I came home and made an omelette. So I felt good about making myself eat more at each meal.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/05/07, 09:02 AM
Okay, I done with this. Since I have started eating more, I gained 2 pounds according to my doctor when I had lost 7 and I am beyond frustrated. I am giving up this eating more because it is not benefitting me. i cannot see how it is muscle weight when I haven't tremendously changed my routine. Thanks for everyone's advice though.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/05/07, 10:10 AM
I think you are overreacting with just 2 lbs I gain that much just eating thru the day. Stop using weight as a scale of improvement. Measure yourself and go by that. fat takes up way more room then muscle. Are you clothes fitting tighter or better? that is the way i do it. I weigh 290 and look like I weigh 250.

--------------

lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/05/07, 10:21 AM
That's the problem,I just put on jeans this morning and they were tight. I only have like 10 pounds to loose, that is why I am upset about 2 pounds.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/05/07, 10:39 AM
Lucy, Mutt told you 9 days ago that your diet was bad (just like we all have) and he also told you what changes to make. Even if you have done what he suggested, it's way too early to see the results.

If you are expecting instant gratification, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You already know that what you were doing doesn't work so why are you running back to it over 2 measly pounds that could easily be water retention?

--------------
Anni

Have you hugged your EFAs today?
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/05/07, 11:58 AM
Because this has become a sort of obsession with me now. I got so upset at my doctors office, and I realize that it could be the time of day or that I might have drank water before my appointment but all in all, I don't feel right. I look at my body and I saw stretch marks and almost cried. My clothes don't fit right, I am quite afraid of eating more. I am eating right though. Today I had my oatmeal with bran and decaf coffee. 10am snack I had carrots, a cheese stick and cucumbers.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/05/07, 12:44 PM
You aren't eating enough and I don't know why you keep asking for help and then refuse to apply it.

So far today you've managed to shove maybe 250 calories, about 60% of which are CARBS, maybe more. Keep it up for the rest of the day and you might hit 800 calories. But then, you already know that. As you have been told repeatedly, you won't lose weight if you don't give your body enough food to come out of starvation mode.

You need to spend less time checking your body for flaws and trying out for drama queen and spend more a little more time reviewing the almost 100 posts dedicated to helping you.

When you are done reviewing them, make a reasonable plan and then stick to it and don't expect the changes to happen overnight or even quickly. You are starving yourself and you are doing it on purpose.

Keep it up or have the courage to change.

--------------
Anni

lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/05/07, 03:15 PM
Wow, I didn't expect another harsh response. I didn't even finish writing what else I ate today. And all of the postings say to eat more vegetables and that is what I am doing. Asimmer said cheese sticks and that is what I did and I have been drinking the low carb Slim Fast shakes that YOU recommended. I would never intentionally starve myself, if I was, I would not be taking everyone's advice. I thought this would be a good support as a website but I see I might have better luck elsewhere. And you anni313 are the most harsh, thanks for helping turning me off to this site! I don't need a lecture, I need support and you telling me that I am starving myself is a lecture! You are not me, so who are you to tell me what I am doing with my life. Don't worry, you won't be reading anymore of my 100 posts/responses. What a huge disappointment this was!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/05/07, 03:31 PM
Well lucy we are here to help and I know Anni came across kind of harsh at times (LOL). But really form you other posts you are starving your self. I am not a doctor but I think with the level of activity you say you are doing what you are eating is not enough. If you eat 1000 cals a day I would be surprised. most women just to maintain their weight need at least 1500-1700 cals. a sample diet you could follow might be:
meal 1 1-2 cups oatmeal, skim milk fruit.
Meal 2 3egg white and 1 whole egg
meal 3 60z chicken breast 1 cup cooked brown rice/yam 1-2 cups vege
meal 4 can of tuna and fruit
meal 5 chicken breast rice/yam and veges.
Drink a gallon of water at least. I hope you read this. in starvation mode you body will actual gain weight as it slows down to save on cals being burned. After a while you will loose...muscle and end result is or illnesses and death/ so please stay on and try this loner then a few weeks or even months. It may take a year of more to get it right.

--------------

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/05/07, 04:10 PM
You're wrong Lucy, I am you.

And yes, I am the most harsh. I'm an anorexic, just like you, the difference is that I care about you and you don't. I know what you see when you look in the mirror, I know what you think when look at food, and I know how and why you punish yourself.

I also know that holding your hand and begging you to eat isn't going to work. If I thought that strapping you to my back and carrying you around all day would fix this, I'd do it without hesitation.

You may be angry with me and you can even hate me if you want to, it's all good. Some truths are just plain ugly but what you heard today will stay with you and eventually that voice will be louder than the others.

I know you didn't like it, but you did need to hear it. I know you can win and when you know it too, everything is going to be so much better.

--------------
Anni

enjcmn
enjcmn
United States
2004/05/07, 04:17 PM
Go Anni...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/12, 10:48 PM
I think folks are trying to help from all perspectives. Don't get discouraged and leave, it hurts noone but yourself. You have great support here with us, and keep throwing out the concerns and we will keep giving advice and help. We do care about you, please care about yourself.

============
Quoting from lucyladybug:

Wow, I didn't expect another harsh response. I didn't even finish writing what else I ate today. And all of the postings say to eat more vegetables and that is what I am doing. Asimmer said cheese sticks and that is what I did and I have been drinking the low carb Slim Fast shakes that YOU recommended. I would never intentionally starve myself, if I was, I would not be taking everyone's advice. I thought this would be a good support as a website but I see I might have better luck elsewhere. And you anni313 are the most harsh, thanks for helping turning me off to this site! I don't need a lecture, I need support and you telling me that I am starving myself is a lecture! You are not me, so who are you to tell me what I am doing with my life. Don't worry, you won't be reading anymore of my 100 posts/responses. What a huge disappointment this was!
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
jcannuck
jcannuck
Canada
2004/05/15, 01:31 PM
I thought I'd pop in and see how Lucy was doing. It's a shame to see she has left (although I'm betting she's reading these). Lucy, back on April 10th, we started suggesting you eat a little more. It is now May 15th. It's a free world, you can post here or choose not to, your life. Consider this, there have been several people representing various levels of experience with this subject, all from different walks of life, all tell you the same thing. Are we all crazy, or might it just be you that might want to make a few changes?

I think Anni was right on, but that doesn't mean you should stay away. It would take courage for you to start posting here again, I would respect you if you did. I actually opened up this thread to see how you were doing, don't give up now, we actually do care.
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last