Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

How do I keep motivated - Lots of Stress

Rurede
Rurede
United States
2002/10/30, 12:08 AM
I am a workaholic. This is my second attempt to remain dedicated to my 12-week program. I start in earnest, then as the stress goes up with my job, my diet and workouts go down. I'm a 54 year-old woman, was very heavy into body-building since 1978 and have seemed to put it on the back-burner since my job started in 1995. I want to regain the motivation and work at the level I did pre-1995. Any suggestions?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/10/30, 01:15 AM
Well you hopefully know what you do so you'll need to know what you really want!!!!
We only got one life and one body so it's NOW (and not in 15 years when you'll be retired) that you need to take care of yourself.
With the training you'll actually have more energy (and sleep better) so your days will be fuller.
It's your choice, but we will be in here to help you all we can!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/10/30, 07:34 AM
Yes, it is hard to get motivated to go. I think many people have started programs and then stopped. AND, yes, starting over has it's drawbacks but rewards as well and the rewards is what you need to think about. One thing, that I know for sure...is I always feel better after working out. Its a natural drug that makes you feel better and relieves stress. You take your mind off things when you put your efforts into raising more weight, watching your form etc. I find, now, its a little "tuffer" to loose weight (44 years old) and that bothers me but the fact that I'm working out and doing someting about it versus complaining about it....what more can I say? I sure as hell don't want to be that old woman who has a hard time getting out of my chair..or my wheelchair :o) -- I've seen elderly people whom I know work out and they look much better than someone who has lost all their muscle tone and strength and have decreased their physical attributes. Ok, man am I rambling but....working out....does the body good!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/10/30, 12:22 PM
I think you have to set priorities. That is not to say you can't have more than one, but you can have an order of them. Base your day around the number one priority, get it done, and do number 2, etc. You may want to choose working out as your number 1, for the mere reason it will help you to deal with the stress your job creates. One, you will feel better about yourself, two, you can go into the gym and imagine anyone or thing who has been giving you stress and put that towards your workout intensity. And remember, as workingoutgirl says, the older you are and longer you wait, the harder it will be to drop that weight you may accumalate. As each day passes, you think to yourself, if I would have only started yesterday, how much farther along I would be now. You know that someday you are going to want to do this stuff, and each time you will just be starting over. Make a journal, start with one week workout, when you finish it, write in another week and do it. Do this each week at the start of the week, and give yourself a gold star for each day completed, or some kind of reward. May sound childish, but surprising how it works.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/10/30, 06:20 PM
That is the problem today. Most of us our materialistic and continue to chase the Almighty $$ and we forget about looking after ourselves. I don't say this in a derogative way. If anything getting into a training routine will reduce your stress. It also teaches us to manage our time.
Think of your health down the road.
Even if you have to force yourself to hang in there well then, force yourself.
Its like trying to get that stuck lid off that sugary jar of honey. You force yourself to twist it off or force yourself to think of another way to get that lid off.
You can do it.
We are here for you, and welcome to FT.