Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

How Can I Get A Six Pack

mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/02/10, 07:09 AM
Hi. Right, first off, I'm new to the board so sorry if this has been posted in the wrong forum section etc. If it has been, please notify me as to where it has been moved.

OK, I am 15 years old, and have a 33" inch waist. Concentrating on my diet, I am a vegetarian, and I haven't eaten any sweets, chocolate, crisps etc for over a year. I'd like to know what specific foods would help my progress in my quest for a six pack.

Also, I use 10lb weights at least four times a week, and have been doing so for just over a year. I play football (you may know it as soccer), practically every weekday, and as well as using rowing machines and treadmills about twice a week, I usually perform around 80 crunches per night. However, despite all this training, I can only very, very vaguely see the outline of my abs, and I was wondering if there are any more specific excercises I could perform that would help me gain a six pack.

Thanks for reading my message. Hopefully you've got some good advice for me!

Jamie.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/02/10, 07:12 AM
Welcome to FT, Jamie...

First off, a six pack is made in the kitchen... it's all about the diet... you can do crunches till you're blue in the face, but without the correct diet, you'll just have a six pack under some fat.

There are numerous posts regarding this most desired quest... use Fit Buddy (the websites search engine) located at the bottom of the page and you'll find plenty of information.

t

--------------
This donut has purple in the middle, purple is a fruit. - Homer (Simpson)

mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/03/29, 03:14 PM
Hi Tim. Sorry for the long period of time it's taken me to reply, thanks for yours!

OK, I am still no further to achieving my goal. Here is basically a low down on what I do...

Diet - I have read everywhere that this is a crucial key to gaining a six pack, but I feel I have this area sorted. Being a 15 year old, my mum and dad prepare my dinner, and all my meals on weekends, but I still manage to have about four fruits per day (grapes, apples, bananas, one of those X 2), and have salad, peas, potatoes, carrots, brocoly, all on a regular basis. As I mentioned, I haven't eaten any sweets, crisps, ice cream for about a year and a half. I am a vegetarian, and keep in mind that I am 15, but are there any meals that I could ask my mum and dad to make me, or if there are any foods/meals I should steer clear of? Thanks.

Overall Ab Training - I work my abs 5, sometimes 6 times a week. I have read over and over again that they can be worked only three times a week and you will still see results, but I'm only human, and surely it will do no harm anyway, since this has been the case for me for almost a year. Anyway, what sickens me the most is that I am regularly doing double the recommended amount of crunches, reverse crunches, press-ups etc per week (6 instead of 3 as I mentioned), but I am getting NOWHERE. I can see my abs VERY, VERY SLIGHTLY, but by that I mean only the way I am positioned in front of the mirror and depending on how the light hits it. Anyway, I perform 100 normal crunches, 50 reverse crunches and 30 press ups around 6 times a week. Any tips on how I can speed up the six pack process?

Body Fat Loss - I play football (soccer) four days out of five, sometimes five. I am an attacking midfielder which means I am darting up and down the wing, and I am usually tired, but far from exhausted, at the end of each game. I can only visit my school's gym once a week, where I usually go on the treadmill for 25 minutes (advancing the speed by 2.0 every 5 minutes, and by the 20th minute I am on the highest level), I use weights about 5 nights at my house and I go on the rowing machine at the gym as well as going on my stationery bike in my room every weekday for 30 minutes, and occaisonally going for runs and goign out on my actual bike.

Basically, I'm at the point of despair. It certainly sounds like I'm overworking my body, but that's just because I'm seeing NO results whatsoever. Every article I've ever read has said that anyone can get a six pack, but I'm beginning to lose heart and I'm not really enjoying my excercise too much anymore, just because I am not getting what I so desperately want, in a six pack.

Sorry for the long, unparagraphed message, but any help, little or large, would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jamie.:)
mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/03/29, 03:16 PM
Oh, and I drink lots of water each day, since I hear that is a good thing to do.

Jamie.
mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/03/31, 12:54 PM
Cmon guys and girls, even if it's something small, I need your help!

I've tried the Fit Buddy also, but it's really one on one stuff like this that I require.
mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/04/08, 12:03 PM
Thanks a lot.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2005/04/08, 12:08 PM
Hey... Jamie... keep in mind, your abs are just like every other muscle in your body... they need rest.... muscles grow during the rest period... a six pack take a LOT of time... you can't expect this soon... it's a combination of an EXTREMELY clean diet and exercise, which in turn creates a very low body fat.. I've heard you need about 8-10% body fat to show off that six pack...

t

--------------
This donut has purple in the middle, purple is a fruit. - Homer (Simpson)

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

froshman
froshman
United States
2005/04/08, 12:45 PM
Jamie- use weights when you do crunches. You want to bulk your midsection you need resistance. 1000 crunches is a waste of time. Hold a weight plate on your chest when you do them. Also, what about protein? As a vegetarian, you might not be getting enough. You should get some whey powder which is a milk derivative. IF you're a vegan, try soy powder. Also nuts are good in moderation too.
mingbob
mingbob
United Kingdom
2005/04/08, 04:24 PM
Yes, I hear protein shakes are good. And walnuts in particular? Thanks guys.
froshman
froshman
United States
2005/04/09, 05:32 PM
Yeah. You can throw walnuts into your salad- it goes pretty well. Good luck.
damilah13
damilah13
United States
2005/06/15, 12:08 AM
:cool:i wanted great abs for a long time
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/06/15, 03:28 AM
Six packs are made from sqauts, deadlifts, presses, rows and pulls. Cut the sugar and processed crap. Don't waste too much time on the crunch, but when you do make them intense. That means heavy and low reps.
sportygurl
sportygurl
United States
2006/02/12, 07:47 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
james422
james422
United Kingdom
2006/02/21, 02:19 PM
hi,
i am 16 and have been going the the gym for over a year and i cant seen to get a six pack. i can do 150 crunches and my stomach wont even hurt. i just seem to keep going . can i get some advice wot to do,
james422
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/21, 02:48 PM
Sure...stop doing 150 crunches and do 10 with resistance...and read through the rest of this post as well as other posts.
Joah
Joah
United States
2006/02/25, 01:22 PM
i like to do alot of decline bench situps with weights for low reps.i usually do 5 sets of 10-15 reps
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/25, 03:19 PM
Do you have any muscle? Not a slam, but this six pack thing is a media driven frenzy to sell stuff. There was a time when a big chest, big arms meant something. Now, everyone wants a six pack. My point being, a six pack looks pretty silly on a guy with twig arms and no chest. To get a six pack, you have to be happy with your current muscularity. You will not gain any with the diet it takes to get a six pack.

============
Quoting from james422:

hi,
i am 16 and have been going the the gym for over a year and i cant seen to get a six pack. i can do 150 crunches and my stomach wont even hurt. i just seem to keep going . can i get some advice wot to do,
james422
=============

--------------
Strength and Honor!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/25, 04:51 PM
Yea, I know I'm not the biggest guy in the gym, but whats with the metro-sexual craze to look like a sucked down 125lber? They tell me thats what a guy should look like?

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
jasetheman3
jasetheman3
New Zealand
2006/03/01, 02:17 AM
Diet is the key. Keep the carbs down to a minimal. but dont cut them right out of the diet altogether. 5-6 small meals a daty with a serving of carbs and a serving of protein,whioch is equivalent to the amount of food you can hold in the pal of your hand. Do at least 3 cardios a week at roughly about 20 mintues going from high to lowish intensity. And rest up heaps too, these days are important for growth. Drink at leat 2 liters of water a day and train first thing i the morning on an empty stomach, this has been shwon to increase the effects of fat burning by up to 300%. Dont do 1000 crunches...lol Do only 10 and if it is easy then have a weight on the stomach as you are pefoming the exercise. be sure to keep a weekly log of what your exercise sessions consist of as well, this will keep track of progress.

Good luck buddy.
argoedlegend
argoedlegend
United Kingdom
2006/03/08, 06:25 PM
Hey guys can anyone please tell me the best exercises to do in order to gain a 6 pack?

I do not come online that much but I do check my email everyday so if you can please email the answers to me that would be superb!!

Argoedlegend@aol.com

Thanks guys

--------------
Remember, you are never 10 points down, you are 11 points from victory.
deus
deus
Canada
2007/03/10, 01:56 PM
here is the easyist way to do it if in the gym were you work out there is a chine up bar go upside down on it so you legs are where your hands usally are the do sit ups like that it burn but i got my six pack in 3 weeks doing that:dumbbell:

--------------
pain is only weakness leaving the body
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/03/13, 02:43 PM
I have a six pack...I can feel it there. My wife can feel it but it's still covered by a thinning layer of adipose. Looks more lie a three pack when I work out. Still working on getting leaner. The love handles are almost gone!

Most of my ab routine has been crunches (lumbar stabilization) if you have seen my comments elsewhere. But overall, a lot of it has to do with what I do with my gut when I lift and do other exercises (I suck it in). Better to tone and strengthen the muscle concave rather thatn convex...looks better.
jividenr
jividenr
United States
2007/03/21, 06:09 PM
i know they say you should eat more throughout the day then one big meal at dinner, but what type of things should you be eating. like as far as snacky things and lunch?
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/21, 06:50 PM
use the search function at the button, food plans etc

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
Yankees009
Yankees009
Thailand
2007/07/21, 01:28 AM
Hi i'm new to ft so bear with me...i'm 15,n i go running alot,n do crunches n situps n other exercises to try to get a six pack,but i dont know what other exercises I should do and I'm having a difficult time in trying to achieve my goal...if somebody could reply to this and motivate me and give me some tips on how to achieve my goal,i would greatly appreciate it,thank you
wruml4
wruml4
United States
2007/12/07, 09:43 PM
im new to this site but so far it looks pretty cool. i am 49 years old and am a pro skateboarder as well as a fairly good surfer. i am currently doing abdominal work as well as heavy cardio pretty much everyday. my goal is to get well defined abs and have been working on it now for only 4 weeks. i can see a little change in the mirror but by feel i can fell the muscle under the thin layer of a fat blanket. how to get rid of that?? i am doing 20 minutes cardio as a warm up on a cross trainer on random at level 20...then 4 reps of crunches 25 @ 80 lbs) and 2 reps of 50 @80 lbs) then floor excercises...using a ball, and then reverse crunche for lower abs one rep of 50...then cardio again for 10-15 minutes (im told that the second cardio workout will be burning fat as the first one and weight cruntches are burning carbs) then im eating a protien shake with lots of aminos and muscle builer (whatever that is)...the other thing im doing, which i would love feedback on, is using a product called slendertone abdominal belt....which basically is like electric stim. it contracts your ab muscles and retracts them and is FDA approved. i did a lot of research before purchase and` read a lot on non promo reviews. 90% were in favor and had good things to say about the product...any feedback from the post site here would be great thanks, WR4
tommyboi2k10
tommyboi2k10
United Kingdom
2010/07/30, 08:45 AM
hay am new to this trying get a sixpack could anyone help me to do this plzss
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/07/30, 01:43 PM
Read the above.