Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

How bad is Spuats on the knees?

SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/05/02, 05:01 PM
I have always heard that it's easy to blow-out a knee with Squats but I don't know just to what degree of easy they are referring to. Right now I'm at 365 lbs and I am sort of getting curious. 4 months ago I started at 135 lbs (I am pushing it a little hard - they told me Tues. that my legs turned blood red while I was squatting that 365). The employees at the gym I go to have been to colege (I can't remember the titles to their degrees, sorry) and the gym is owned by our local hospital. Tuesday one of the girls that works there was watching me squat. I had warmed up with a set of 12 @ 205 lbs. Then I hit 225# (10 reps), 275# (10 reps), 315# (10 reps), and then 335# (10 reps). When I stacked on 365 lbs she said, "what in the world are you trying to do, kill yourself?" I told her I had bird leggs and was trying to improve them. Then she said, "Your going to blow a knee out if your not carefull." I said maybe not and she replied "how are you going to know if you do?" I made a light hearted wise crack about hearing it snap when it goes and brushed it off like it wasn't a problem but she did worry me some. Can/would someone mind to tell me at what weight I would need to start thinking about the knee problems? I've heard of power lifters wrapping their knees before squatting, maybe I should be doing this? What kind of knee problems can I watch for, will it be something obvious like the knee snapping and falling out from under me? I sure would appreciate any opinions and thanks ahead of time for any help.
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/02, 05:09 PM
Rev8ball?? This seems like your kinda question.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/02, 05:15 PM
Wow for your knee to just snap or fall out from under you would probably be amazing but most likely unhead of.. I don't powerlift but I remember reading something on I think drsquat.com about wrapping your knees and so on.. actuall this article should tell you a lot about what your looking for ->

http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=5

but also wait for rev8ball if he has exp in this area...
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/02, 05:16 PM
I just figured since he was our resident power lifter he would know.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/05/03, 04:24 AM
thanks for the compliment, cainsands...

squatting and what it COULD do your knees is just like any other excercise and the joints involved respectively. for example, i have actually seen the result of a guy who tried to go too heavy on a preacher curl, snapping the right arm bicep connective tissue at the elbow, making his bicep roll up like a baseball up at his shoulder. or im sure you've all seen the photos in your favorite muscle mags of a torn pec.

the point is this: you need to work up gradually in any excercise. a major mistake that many people do is that they are so concerned over the size and shape of a muscle, they forget about the connective tissue, such as tendons and ligaments. squats have kind of a bad rap for "blown knees" because a person can really pack on a lot of pounds to do this lift. you may be tempted to this, but take your time.

in regards to wraps: dont use them. you need to strengthen everything in your legs, and wraps will only give you a false sense of security. they should only be used in competition lifts as a safety device, not a "crutch." even then, your legs better be strong enough to handle the weight, and you will only get that way by smart training.

as far as your gym "experts" go: when a person attempts difficult lifts like the squat (in my opinion, its hell on earth...LOL), you will always have the nay-sayers who can do nothing but criticise that person, because they dont have the cannolis to even take a shot at it. in all of my years of powerlifting, i never once injured my knees; and i always had the wanna-be fitness gurus telling me i would never get "toned" (i hate that word!) and i was going to hurt myself throwing all that weight around, as they said it.........don't believe them.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/03, 09:47 AM

============
Quoting from rev8ball:

i have actually seen the result of a guy who tried to go too heavy on a preacher curl, snapping the right arm bicep connective tissue at the elbow, making his bicep roll up like a baseball up at his shoulder.
=============

OMG.. what did this guy do.. I've never seen anyone in the gym hurt themselves that badly.. I think you need surgery to reconnect the muscle when that happens.. don't you?.. Can people that have that happen get back to lifting what they were ever again...?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/05/03, 01:03 PM
oooo ya, he needed surgery! if done correctly, a person's rehab can allow him back into lifting with this type of injury or worse. how the injury occured, severity at the site of the injury, and the quality of rehab would be the main items impacting the level of training that person can reattain.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/05/03, 10:03 PM
that qualifies as one of the most horrifying stories I have ever heard
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/04, 01:16 AM
Yes about the biceps injury. Well, I have a friend who had this very horrifying accident with his biceps breaking the connective tissue at the elbow some years ago.
His doc just told him to rest....... BUT that was the worst thing he could do 'cause he actually needed instant surgery.
Today it's just too late. He still has this weird biceps "ball" sitting up next to the shoulder and it hurts when he uses too much his arm.

If he had a surgery straight after the accident, his arm would have been okey today.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/04, 09:20 AM
Wow what kind of doctor was that.. i'd never go back to him.. thats like breaking your leg and them telling you "don't worry just stay off it for a few days.. it'll be fine"