Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Home Gym

vikrampriya
vikrampriya
Canada
2008/12/26, 09:22 AM
Hey everyone
I am going to be making a sort of home gym in my basement, and I was wondering what type of relatively inexpensive equipment I should have. I already have an elliptical.
P.s=> my workout routine consists mainly of strength and muscle building exercises just in case it matters.

Thank you in advance =D

returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/12/26, 11:02 AM
Dumbbells first and foremost. Maybe a set of those fancy adjustable ones. Also a combo bench(features incline and decline settings) with leg extensions. Depends on how much you have to spend on equipment. for $200-300 and a Walmart, you should be able to get set up pretty well. If you only get to pick one thing, definitely make it dumbbells; they're the most versatile piece of equipment you can get other than just doing body weight exercises.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/12/26, 11:06 AM
I'm on a kettlbell kick right now.... you can get one or two and have one of the most complete workouts ever. $100 will get you one for sure (depeding upon weight) and away you go.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/27, 10:05 AM
I think a set of weight plates, a barbell and a decent bench will get you the most mileage for your money.You can squat, deadlift, bench, do bentover rows, curls, skullcrushers, etc. Having a decent power rack/squat rack is also nice but not necessary...you will probably decide as you progress that you want one. I also like to supplement with resistance bands, which are fairly inexpensive and can do most things you would do with a cable stand.

Check your local want ads and craigslist for used sets of weights and equipment. Especially in about february/march when the new years resolutioners have given up and are selling their new equipment.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/31, 11:14 AM
Also when working out at home get creative.. You more than likely have things you could use to help you that you don't even know about! look around!

For instance - My pull up bar is the overhang on my staircase... works excellent.. There are also probably heavy objects you can use to lift.. just be careful with size.. an altered grip could be bad news.

& for my tri dips i use the back of my shower/tub.. Always has seemed to work for me. Seen other people even use cars to do them... Don't know how efficient that one is though.

Asimmer is definitely right though.. If you are on a tight budget then hold off with the pricey equipment for a while & check your listings around late feb. to march.. There will be plenty of cheap goods from people who have either given up resolutions or are hard up for cash.

good luck!
Steveski
Steveski
United States
2009/01/05, 06:00 PM
I bought an inexpensive "home gym" unit about two years ago and loved it...BUT, my money would have been much better spent on a used power rack since I already had plates, dumbells, etc. A pipe anchored to the ceiling works for pullups. Good Luck...as I resume my search for a power rack!!!