Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Guys please answer!!

Lauren18
Lauren18
United Kingdom
2005/06/16, 01:12 PM
This might sound like an odd question but i am 17 years old, almost 18, and i dont know anyone my age who works out regularly and seriously. I go to the gym at least 5 times a week and do an hour cv and an hour strength. Occasionaly people i know will come in or people my age but they all dont do anything which might create a sweat and wont even think about lifting more than 1Kg weight! I know they only go to impress the guys...i am sure you guys will know the type i mean. I do walk into the gym lookin ok but after about 10 mins, that look has kinda gone lol! The only thing that annoys me is i seem to be odd in that i do do it seriously and i've become friendly with a couple of guys who work in the gym and they have their mates and they all train together. As there seems to be few woman full stop let alone anywhere near my age working seriously in the gym, its kinda lonely. I dont go for the social scene but its nice to have a mate helping you or encouragin you. I have become friendly with one woman who is nice but she is bout twice my age!!!

so couple of things..

- is it my gym that is odd in that there are no young girls who work out and those that come to pose say ' how can u sweat infront of the guys' or are most gyms like that?
- What does a guy find more impressive...the girls who look hot n do nothing or the ones that work hard butsweat and dont look that great?

If you know of any young person that trains a lot and is female let me know , i wont feel like i am the only one doing it then!!!! lol!

Luv
Laurenxx
PoolMaster1990
PoolMaster1990
United States
2005/06/16, 05:19 PM
-I dont think that it's "odd" per say that you are the only girl in the gym. Not many of my female friends work out only about 2 or 3 of them do. "Working out" is more of a male thing but there are females that do it!
- With the thing about what a guy likes more... I dont base it all on looks.. i need a personality too. If i like a girl alot and she aint all that hott.. you know what? I dont care I'd rather be happy.

--------------
~If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/06/16, 05:27 PM
poolmaster1990- you have the intelligence many adult men never have.

Leslie
Lauren18
Lauren18
United Kingdom
2005/06/16, 06:05 PM
poolmaster...thanks, i just find it intereting that v few girls seem to bother about their fitness, there are more older woman who go and do it seriously though. Even the girls that work at our gym , only about 2 of them workout a couple of times a week if that. I'd mucyh rather get a decnt level of fitness at a young age than try and do it later in life when working etc, i imagine my goal then to be maintainance but hopefully just carry on improving. Just its a year i have been doing it and have yet to meet anyone near my age in the gym who comes on a regular basis. I'll carry on doing it though even though it did amuse my male mates who work out as well that i do weights!
As for the guys that work there that i know, one has offered to spend time with me each week doing diff cv stuff like kick boxing n stuff so i am lookin forward to that as it will be a change from my usual routine. They did think i was older though purely cos i work out n they agreed there is no one near my age really in the gym...maybe they feel sorry for me and thats why one has offered to train me lol!!

luv
Laurenx
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/06/16, 06:26 PM
Lauren.....why do you care what guys find impressive? thats not why your their is it? To impress or find a boyfriend?

It may surprise you.......but 75% of the guys are their to workout.....not looking or paying any attention to you or other female gym goers. If the girls are wearing somthing skimpy, yeah I look...but I go on about my way and finish up and leave.

At different gyms you will find different kinds of people......some "gyms" are more like spas....very clean, nice shiny machines......soft music playing.....uslly older crowd, or middle age people.

Golds gyms, powerhouse etc.....are usually more 30 and under.....younger generations.....usually more gym than "spa". But sinc eyou have younger crowds.....you have egos in the weight room with you....which kinda sucks

then you have the YMCAs and private gyms......which will be an assortment.....although private gyms will have less kids running around.

If your there to workout .............then freaking workout! Don't worry about not having friends, or somone isn;t talking to you......its not a church or school.....were your popular and everyone knows your name.....WORKOUT.

BUy some headphones.......get in and get out.....its not a cafe'................cause peopel that talk ....aren't working out.......and if you not working out.....your in somones way that wants too.

--------------
gravity is not a law, only a obstacle
Lauren18
Lauren18
United Kingdom
2005/06/16, 07:04 PM
ok, i realise that i walked into that one. Fair enough points, i do listen to music all the time when doing cv as i can never breath so talkin not gona happen anyway plus i hate my cv being interupted. I know what ur saying bout ppl who arent working out are those who are talking cos i see it myself and they piss me of when they sit on the machines and do nothing so i am being hypocritical saying all that.

My gym is a private one, kinda odd mix, and yes there are huge egos in the weights room who give u lovely looks implying is that all u can do. School age guys are worst for it i noticed...often thought it helps if they can lift the weight of the rack before they try and do bicep curls with it but hey who am i to judge :laugh:

I never gone to gym with intention of impressing the guys or finding a bf but i just find it kinda crapy when every other girl looks a million times better. If i cared that much i wouldnt work out when i go to the gym n i still do. Infact those girls piss me of a lot, but yes i admit now its probably best i stick to myself and stay with working out rather than try and fit in and become one of the very people that piss me of!

cheers for the reality call i needed! Stuff the pretty girls, i'd rather be fit!! :big_smile:

luv
Laurenx
PoolMaster1990
PoolMaster1990
United States
2005/06/16, 07:28 PM
thanks leslie.,, i think

============
Quoting from leslieherr:

poolmaster1990- you have the intelligence many adult men never have.

Leslie
=============

--------------
~If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/06/17, 07:45 AM
theres alot of girls who are under the impression that they need to lose weight and get in shape BEFORE they go to the gym to workout.. whats up with that ?!?!? and around here, as i am home in pembroke for the summer, most girls rely on smoking and cutting out food to stay "in shape". its a small town up in canada, which has a totally different perspective than my university in hamilton. i see tons of girls sweating their brains out in the city gyms, pursuing an active, healthy lifestyle.

i have absolutely no idea where i am going with this, but im glad lauren that you arent at the gym to check out boys or show off your stuff.. the gym is where we go to work our bodies into the shape we want, and getting stinky and sweaty is part of that process :big_smile: so kudos to you and all the other women out there in this position :love:
PoolMaster1990
PoolMaster1990
United States
2005/06/17, 11:40 AM
Bropie.. u lost me guy sorry lol

============
Quoting from bropie:

theres alot of girls who are under the impression that they need to lose weight and get in shape BEFORE they go to the gym to workout.. whats up with that ?!?!? and around here, as i am home in pembroke for the summer, most girls rely on smoking and cutting out food to stay "in shape". its a small town up in canada, which has a totally different perspective than my university in hamilton. i see tons of girls sweating their brains out in the city gyms, pursuing an active, healthy lifestyle.

i have absolutely no idea where i am going with this, but im glad lauren that you arent at the gym to check out boys or show off your stuff.. the gym is where we go to work our bodies into the shape we want, and getting stinky and sweaty is part of that process :big_smile: so kudos to you and all the other women out there in this position :love:
=============

--------------
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/06/17, 02:49 PM
try to keep your competition/ego in check when you goto the gym. So many girls get intimidated by each other while in the gym because they are both on different stages of the weightloss/fitness path.
When it comes to my opinion about what a guy likes more.... there are too many girls out there to settle for one that doesn't have some personality, drive, spunk, and some looks to boot.
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/06/17, 04:21 PM
Ahh, come on gangstershoes...having a brain and knowing how to use it is a good thing to.:big_smile: just ask my husband.

Leslie
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/06/18, 01:48 PM
Lift with the guys!!!! They will be able to spot you, keep you motivated and be more hard core than most girls, anyhow.

I think you see more older ladies at the gym working out because they have realized that it is necessary as their metabolisms slow down and as they realize that they are mortal and should be taking care of their bodies. many young people think they will always be young and healthy, or at least youing and able to abuse their bodies.

Good for you for taking your health seriously and not letting what other 'airheads' think bother you.

--------------
Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist but the ability to start over. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/06/20, 09:30 AM
Leslie, I guess having a brain does count, but ONLY in the long term relationships. :)
asimmer you know the older ladies are really just there to battle osteoporosis. :)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/06/20, 02:45 PM
As an "older lady" in the gym I have to tell ya, I'm there to check out all the good lookin' male bods and maybe get a little exercise while I'm there:big_smile: Certainly gets my heart rate up!!!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
dvelswk
dvelswk
United States
2005/06/20, 05:23 PM
Usually there aren't too many women that go to the gym that are 18 or younger. I dont think any go to my gym. There's one lady that's 20 something that works out a lot but mostly all of them are young guys, and older women. So don't be surprised when you don't see many girls your age there.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/06/21, 10:12 AM
FOTW, is going to make me have a different opinion of the older ladies at the gym. I'll feel VIOLATED. lol...
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/06/21, 05:26 PM
gangster...I was thinking the same thing about FOTW.

The older women at my gym work out harder then the younger women and harder then some men there. As long as I can keep pace with them then I feel good about my workout.
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/06/22, 11:11 AM
FOTW,

Maybe they have a webcam at the gym and I can check'em out on the net:laugh:

Leslie
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/06/22, 11:29 AM
Oh Oh....did I say that out loud, I think I've given y'all too much information 'bout me....Sorry if I made gangershoes and sstump1 nervous about going to the gym, I'll try to be more subtle next time:)....by the way...where is your gym located:laugh:

leslie..I would take in my cellphone with the camera, but not surprisingly they don't allow them in my gym..probably a good thing...
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/06/23, 12:42 PM
I can't tell you where I live FOTW. You might stalk me like the other women around here. :)
2005/06/23, 12:51 PM
My address is in your inbox FOTW along with phone #

--------------
Sometimes life is as easy as herding cats.

Charlie
josmit
josmit
Canada
2005/07/27, 09:50 AM
Go to a gym at a university if you want other younger females arround. Thats were they all are..hehe
Soheykaw
Soheykaw
United States
2005/07/27, 12:39 PM
age is a meaningless concept, look at the individuals at your gym as if you want to gain knowledge, wisdom, and skills. What are you going to learn from someone your own age that you yourself probably already know. Don't be ashamed or feel you have to "FIT" in, you already "FIT" in just by being there!!
Soheykaw
Soheykaw
United States
2005/07/27, 01:57 PM
that is my quote but anyway, everything is usually learned through trial and error right? So why not give yourself a boost by possibly learning from someone elses mistakes, or errors. Again "age is a meaningless concept" soak in all you can from those who are around you that you will benefit from :big_smile:
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/07/28, 12:23 AM
Going back to the original question, I think it that a girl that takes the time and effort to care about her body is far more attractive then one that was born with it and does nothing with it. Besides, how will these girls look in 10-20 years, while your still fit and in shape.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/08/03, 02:18 PM
couldn't agree with you more wrestler125.
marthinus
marthinus
South Africa
2005/11/25, 05:06 AM
hi.Working out has never been a male thing!-maybee thats just been the excuse for most woman not to lose the weight and to follow a healthy lifestyle.......mmmmmm....then again what has gender got to do with gym?....like rasism....it not exceptable.......:angry::big_smile::love:
TeresaMalia
TeresaMalia
United States
2005/11/28, 05:16 PM

============
Quoting from flyonthewall:

As an "older lady" in the gym I have to tell ya, I'm there to check out all the good lookin' male bods and maybe get a little exercise while I'm there:big_smile: Certainly gets my heart rate up!!!

=============
HaHa! Your not the only one! I just think of them as motivation! I guess I'm an "older lady" too, at 24. Anyways, from my "observations" 95% of the time the guys are too busy looking at themself in the mirror to notice anyone else.
I can't speak from a guy's point of view but out of all the girls at my gym, the ones who are in the best shape and really workout are the ones that catch my attention and I am jealous of. My husband and his workout buddies seem to mention the same girls I noticed.
If I wear makeup it is always smeared, running, and looking horrible when I leave. Why both? Mascara and lipgloss look so much better in the end!!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/29, 12:33 AM
And you need make up to work out why????

--------------
Yes I realize my shins are bleeding. And its called a deadlift. Any other questions???

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
2005/11/29, 02:04 AM
I wonder the same thing seeing women in the gym with make up.....apparently some women have a hard time distinguishing between a bar, club, or a place to meet people with the gym. I have way more respect for some women in my gym who come in in sweats and no make up and get to business...many of these women are pretty but they realize that they come there for a purpose and it's not to flirt with guys or look at themselves in the mirror...
TeresaMalia
TeresaMalia
United States
2005/11/30, 03:37 PM
Being blonde I need mascara. If I don't have it on I constantly get asked if I'm sick because I look "pale" "sick" "washed out" etc. Every girl wants to look her best. The problem is every girl does not understand that more makeup does not equal more pretty.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/30, 07:47 PM
im lucky in that. i have very light blonde hair, but i can usually do without mascara.

--------------
If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
2005/11/30, 08:46 PM
lol wrestler....yep, I am very white and I never been called 'pale' for not wearing mascara....

I think it just stems from insecurity for some people...who gives a crap whether people perceive u a certain way....that just shows insecurity more than anything else on your part when you start caring and changing how you are....
TeresaMalia
TeresaMalia
United States
2005/12/01, 05:31 PM
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

im lucky in that. i have very light blonde hair, but i can usually do without mascara.
=============
That's because of your naturally rosey cheeks!

Maybe it is insecurity but when I think I look good I workout harder. I think a lot of girls think this way. It has very little to do with how other people think I look and a lot to do with how I feel. I'm not one of those girls who wears tons of makeup and skimpy clothes though. I go to the gym because I want to be healthy, and get into the shape I want to be in, not to pickup guys. Thinking about it... part of that was a lie...I do want to look good for me but part of it is also for my hubby. I do care what he thinks. I want him to be happy with me.
Illinifirefly
Illinifirefly
United States
2005/12/01, 10:43 PM

============
Quoting from TeresaMalia:

Maybe it is insecurity but when I think I look good I workout harder.
=============

Same here.. When I look good, I feel good, I try harder :cool:

/Doesn't wear makeup during workout
//But didn’t really need that new tank top :big_smile:

--------------

Irish

--------------

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left...
2005/12/02, 04:54 AM
Alright I'll give it a try....before my next big max deadlift...I'll put on mascara, foundation, lipstick, and whatever else u ladies use...and see if that helps...
Illinifirefly
Illinifirefly
United States
2005/12/02, 04:23 PM
Nah.. you don't necessarily need makeup to look good.. you can always do you hair in a cutesy way :big_smile:

--------------

Irish

--------------

Illinifirefly
Illinifirefly
United States
2005/12/02, 04:39 PM
oops your* :surprised:

--------------

Irish

--------------

michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/12/04, 10:18 PM
I'm going to jump in on this post and give my two cents. I usually do go to the gym with makeup on but that is only because I go in the evening (after work or running errands) However, if I have a day where I don't leave the house, I go to the gym in my natural state. No makup. I allways work out with the guys at my gym because I find that they encourage me to work harder. I can try for one more rep on the bench press because I'm being spotted by one of the guys. They say encouraging things like "c'mon Michelle one more rep...etc" Not once have they ever commented on my not wearing makeup. Not once have they ever ignored me or paid less attention because I didn't come down in full makeup reeking of perfume in a little skimpy outfit. In fact, I've heard negative comments about the women who do come down to "work out" in full costume by my male lifting partners. And menace, I think a nice wine color for the lipstick would compliment your complexion.
2005/12/05, 06:49 AM
My lips are bright red to begin with..I have been actually asked if I use lipstick or some other thing...forget what they called it....lol

michelle u noticed something that's very straight forward....serious guys/men don't give a crap about make up on women in the gym...they actually respect women much more who come as they are and give 100% effort and pay attention to what they are doing....women should save the make up for when they go out....and michelle if u coming from work then u got a very good reason...and u sound like u come there with a purpose...I was mainly referring to women who just mess around and don't do anything while drowning in make up and skimpy clothing while flirting with guys....
YMRZPRP
YMRZPRP
United States
2005/12/06, 11:46 AM
lauren u r an exception to the norm most women's idea of being in shape is just being skinny muscle doesn't matter. They get skinny by throwing up after meals, taking diet pills, enima's, starvation, plastic surgery, and last but not least spend massive amount of money on clothes that convey the appearance of skinny.

============
Quoting from Lauren18:

This might sound like an odd question but i am 17 years old, almost 18, and i dont know anyone my age who works out regularly and seriously. I go to the gym at least 5 times a week and do an hour cv and an hour strength. Occasionaly people i know will come in or people my age but they all dont do anything which might create a sweat and wont even think about lifting more than 1Kg weight! I know they only go to impress the guys...i am sure you guys will know the type i mean. I do walk into the gym lookin ok but after about 10 mins, that look has kinda gone lol! The only thing that annoys me is i seem to be odd in that i do do it seriously and i've become friendly with a couple of guys who work in the gym and they have their mates and they all train together. As there seems to be few woman full stop let alone anywhere near my age working seriously in the gym, its kinda lonely. I dont go for the social scene but its nice to have a mate helping you or encouragin you. I have become friendly with one woman who is nice but she is bout twice my age!!!

so couple of things..

- is it my gym that is odd in that there are no young girls who work out and those that come to pose say ' how can u sweat infront of the guys' or are most gyms like that?
- What does a guy find more impressive...the girls who look hot n do nothing or the ones that work hard butsweat and dont look that great?

If you know of any young person that trains a lot and is female let me know , i wont feel like i am the only one doing it then!!!! lol!

Luv
Laurenxx
=============

--------------
a river runs thru it....

from off the beaten path...

ymrzprp
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/12/06, 01:35 PM
Being bald i have that washed out look as well. what mascara works best for you? :)

============
Quoting from TeresaMalia:

Being blonde I need mascara. If I don't have it on I constantly get asked if I'm sick because I look "pale" "sick" "washed out" etc. Every girl wants to look her best. The problem is every girl does not understand that more makeup does not equal more pretty.
=============
michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2005/12/11, 07:20 PM
I like maybellene great lash mascara. It really thickens and lengthens your lashes. Although gangster, black may be too dark for you, maybe try brown or brownish black.lol.
2005/12/11, 10:42 PM
LOL