Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Good Morning Virgin

tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/03/20, 12:45 PM
Tried "good mornings" for the first time today. They start like a squat, but you use lighter weight, bend forward at the waist and keep your knees almost locked out. (Sorry -- of course you all know what they are!). Did 4 sets of 20 with 95 pounds. Wow, I really feel it in my lower back and hams. Guess I found yet another set of muscles I haven't used in years!

Bored. Just thought I'd share.

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/03/20, 12:50 PM
be very careful while this exercise is a good one for those areas it is a very dangerous one and I knowmany tht have ruined their backs...Bruce Lee was almost paralyazed for life because of them and poor jnellie here on the bored is going thru hell cause of them. So that said be very very careful

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/03/20, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Mutt.

'nuff said.

Say good night to good mornings.

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/03/20, 01:53 PM
Deadlifts are just as good IMO, and besides it is cool to lift a lot of weight with them LOL

--------------
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/03/21, 08:05 AM
True about DLs, Mutt, but even going heavy ("heavy" for me, anyway), I don't "feel it" in my hams, back, and glutes like I did with a few sets of light good mornings... And I've tried the stiff-legged DLs, sumo variety, partials, wide stance, narrow stance, etc... Am I doing something wrong?

And with the GMs, the weight really felt comfortable (not too heavy at all), I stretched, warmed up with some hyperextensions, then kept my back slightly arched (not rounded), head up, knees bent just a bit (not hyper extended), and maintained a very slow, easy, and deliberate pace. I gotta tell ya, they really felt good. Good stretch and a good post-workout soreness. The weight used definately won't impress anybody at the gym, though. Besides, I've got a way to go before that happens anyway.

I guess deads, squats, bench press, GMs, or any non-machine lift can be extra dangerous if you don't give it 110% focus before, during, and after the lift. No disrespect to jnellie (or Bruce Lee!) - I don't know any of the details surrounding their injuries, but I do know that I've wrenched my back and neck (and had pain for weeks) just by turning my head too quickly in the car!

Thanks again, Mutt, for the heads up, and the reminder to stay FOCUSED!

TSMD

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/03/21, 09:20 AM
A very safe one and very effective for the lower back is hyperextensions. I find these great, and don't in any way have to worry about getting hurt. Plus, you can do them with weight very easily as I do, just hold a 25 or 35 lb. plate against your chext while doing them. The key is coming up just parallel. Try these maybe, they are safe and effective.

--------------
The one goal you will NEVER achieve is the one you never attempt.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/03/21, 10:51 AM
Yeah if you keep it together you usually are safe. I just wanted to let you know that I believe the risks for GM outweigh the benefits. with you not feeling it the same with dl that you did with gm I understand as I am the same with a lot of exercises. I do not want you to give Gm up as long as you are extremely careful withthem....good luck

--------------
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/03/21, 12:07 PM
Thanks BB1 and Mutt. BB1, I'll give the weighted hypers a try. They may allow me to really feel the effect on glutes, hams, and back. If not, maybe I'll cautiously proceed with some extra light GMs.

Great insight guys - thanks.

BTW, I'm still feeling the effects today (in a good way).

TSMD
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/04/01, 12:11 PM
BB1, I tried the weighted hyperextensions. I used a 35-lb plate. The movement felt good (went just to parallel), but I didn't have the burn I had during the good mornings. Plus, I really didn't "feel it" afterwards.

My gym has 2 hyperextension machines: 1 that keeps your body parallel to the floor (the one I used), and the second keeps you at a 45-degree angle to teh floor.

Should I bump up to a 45-lb plate? Should I try the 45-degree hyper machine? Both?

TSMD