Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

exercise substitution question

2008/03/13, 09:41 PM
I am purposefully not posting this in the injury forum. I have a permanent back injury that makes compression/load lifts extremely risky for me. Squats and deadlifts are (and I shed a tear at this) a thing of the past. Can anyone suggest some alternative exercises to replace deadlifts and squats? Right now I'm doing seated leg presses, lunges, step-up's. The next phase of my training routine includes deadlifts on a box, static lunges with rear leg elevated, front squat/push press, bulgarian split squat. I can do all of it but the deadlifts and I'm just sick of the leg press. Any suggestions?

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
rkahl
rkahl
United States
2008/03/14, 07:41 AM
What about butt kickers on the machine. I'm not sure of the proper name of the machine but you push backward with one leg. Also, do you do adducter and abducters machines?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/14, 07:51 AM
Abductor and adductor machines are pretty useless.

What about lying leg curls (machine) and hip bridges on a swiss ball?

It sounds like you have already come up with a wide variety of things to do.

Can your back handle jump squats? adding in some plyometrics could switch things up.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/03/14, 07:52 AM
WEll there are Front squats, hack squats, zercher(I misspelled that I think) squats. Not sure if they will hurt your back but the front and Zercher are held in the front of the body not on your back.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2008/03/14, 08:51 AM
As long as the weights are relatively low, I can do the lift. For example, I can do a front squat/push press b/c the press portion of the lift limits the amount of weight I'm using. Hack squats would wreck my back b/c the weight is fully loaded on the spine. I could do the lying curls. Asimmer, I like your suggestion of integrating some plyo drills into the mix. I certainly won't hypertrophy, but what little plyo I've done has always left me feeling sore the next day (which is what I tend to use as a measure of success in my attempts to improve my body composition.) Thanks for all the suggestions.

--------------
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/14, 09:30 AM
I don't know if this could help at all, but maybe you could do kicks with ankle weights on. I do them sometimes, and they're great lower body exercises. I do front, back, and side kicks, and then leg raises.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/03/14, 10:06 AM
How about one-legged deadlifts with dumbbells.

http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/deadlifts_2.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eACTTzeh-E&feature=related

One-leg Squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TUo1VPuSI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-6ywxbu1A&feature=related
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/15, 02:49 PM
When asking for advice like this, the recommendations will depend entirely on what the problem is. I'm surprised you got so many replies with out ever telling anyone what exactly is wrong with your back.

A general recommendation would be to choose exercises which are naturally more difficult, so require a lesser load. An example would be something like a single leg straight leg deadlift.
However, this could also be a terrible idea. In the case of a herniated disk, if the disk is in the right position, the unilateral load could cause the problem to be worse than a heavy deadlift would, even though the load is smaller.

I'd recommend talking to a physical therapist that is familiar with your case history. Many times they have very good ideas or have treated similar cases. Even if it is only for a consultation, it might be worth looking into.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2008/03/15, 07:24 PM
Good point, Wrestler, but I didn't want to get into detail on the injury as this wasn't the injury forum. I have a fracture in the left facet of my L5 vertebra. As a result, over arching (or really even mild arching) of my back is painful, as is lateral rotation (especially towards the left). It is just too risky for me to attempt to maintain good form with a heavy load as a result. Arching during the lift creates pain, which causes my spinal erector muscles to reflexively spasm. PT said this kind of fracture is most often seen in horse back riders and wrestlers. I don't like isolation exercises, but my next phase calls for wide grip dead lifts on a box, and I know I won't be able to do it with enough weight for it to be beneficial, so I was looking for some alternatives. I could always continue subbing the seated leg press, which I've been subbing for standard deadlifts, but I find the press...well, boring. Was hoping to mix things up a little. That may not be entirely possible. Ah well. Sucks to get old.

--------------
2008/03/16, 11:00 AM
ARGH! Sorry, I meant my L1 vertebra right at the thorasolumbar junction, not my L5. Oops.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/17, 07:43 AM
I guess I was assuming that she is familiar with what she can and cannot do.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

When asking for advice like this, the recommendations will depend entirely on what the problem is. I'm surprised you got so many replies with out ever telling anyone what exactly is wrong with your back.

=============

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/17, 11:07 AM
You might be able to handle sumo deadlifts a little better. They tend to naturally keep the back a little straighter.

Also, when doing any kind of deadlift, I'd recommend that you use a double overhand grip, even if this means using straps. The over-under can create a slight misload and cause unilateral stresses.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk