Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

dumbell holding

shadusty
shadusty
United Kingdom
2002/10/13, 08:18 AM
Hi!when doing any exercise using dumbbells........i normally feel pain on my fingers due to the grip.Holding the dumbbells for too long really hurts the fingers.I wonder the problem is.........can anyone please give me advice on this?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/10/13, 08:33 AM
The problem is that you're keeping your fingers too tight, loose up the grip a little (WITHOUT dropping the dumbell!!) and you'll see it'll be better.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/10/16, 02:45 PM
I used to have the a related issue...cept with me it was translating up into my forearms....would feel like a had shin splints in them.

The solution that phila offers is a good one.

I would like to add that performing some execises working your grip and forearms could be helpful too.

A combination of relaxing grip some, combined with a wrist curl routine I run once a week has helped me be able to do more in all Pull/curl areas in my program.

At some point, I will probably invest in a set of straps, but I will try to hold off on that for as long as possible in an effort to maintain balance.

Good luck,

--------------
"When going through hell......DON'T STOP"
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/10/19, 02:13 AM
Why not use lifting straps until the pain gets better. The heavier the dumbbells, the more wrist straps are useful. I use them when I have sore forearms or wrists. In fact, I got to where I don't hardly do dumbells of any kind without them, or lat pulldowns. Might give them a try. Very inexpensive.
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/10/22, 09:36 AM

My concern with the straps was that I may inadvertantly atrophisize my grip.

But considering that I am putting weight on my body (and the grip) an avg of 4 times a week, I guess that probably would not happen.

Any tips you might have about their use would be appreciated.

--------------
"When going through hell......DON'T STOP"
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/10/22, 10:13 AM
The straps won't cause your muscles to atrophy but the will add enough support to help get past your problem. I have an oollld injury in my hand from a fracture that wasn't set. If it wasn't for the ace bandage there wouldn't be much of a workout. It's an assist, not a crutch.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/10/22, 11:31 AM
Here is something you can try. Instead of using them for every set, use them for the last one only, that is usualy when the grip starts to fail. That way your grip gets a workout and you can focus on the set instead of the weight. Also look up a product called versagrips they are a wrist strap alternative. I use them only for the last set of things that I can not do like deadlifts shrugs, pulldowns.

--------------
Those who lift understand it. Those who do not, think we are crazy!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/10/22, 01:24 PM
I agree with mikencharleston. I use them extensively, started when I broke my little finger. surprising how much that little finger means in lifting! Anyway, now use them all the time, no problems. I especially use them with lat pulldowns, and heavy dumbell shrugs. I do wrist curls also, this may be an aid to you to keep your wrists strong.