Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

constant back pain

qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/07, 05:12 PM
One more Question I have a constant lower back ache and I have never had any problems in my life with my back before. I have had it for a few months now, and suggestions?
Thanks!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/08, 01:41 AM
You do squats? Look at your way of plaing your feet and holding your back -not only when working your legs but in every exercise.

Maybe you simply overtrained your lower back muscles and then you'll need some rest (and stretching!).

Lower back pain is horrible and my advice to you is to be veeeery careful and take the body's signals seriously (instead of waiting for months.....)!!!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/08, 10:25 PM
I had that never-ending lower back pain for a long time, until I actually started training my lower back. You can do rows, pull-ups, and lat pulldowns until you puke, but they will never strengthen your lower back. Start doing some hyperextensions and good mornings; both of these are great exercises that no one seems to do much anymore. These excercises make your lower back stronger so you can perform heavy squats and deadlifts without worrying about your lower back giving out.

The first thing you need to do is stretch and rest. Wait until it feels OK (should take 3-4 days), then start your training again. You'll be fresh and ready to go again, and little or no back pain.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
wagnerzx2
wagnerzx2
United States
2002/09/08, 02:45 PM
Quick question... how do you stretch your lower back well? I can't ever seem to get into a good position to do this.

--------------
Mike Wagner

*Music is the soul of society*
bigbike
bigbike
United States
2002/09/10, 04:01 PM
Back pain is nothing to play with. See a doctor! they will probably want to order an MRI (to rule out herniated disc). If it is just muscular then you can breath easy, if it is a disc problem it needs to be dealt with. Unless the thought of being wheelchair bound appeals to you.

--------------
I refuse to tiptoe thru life, only to arrive at deaths door quietly.
EGChic207
EGChic207
United States
2002/09/10, 05:20 PM
I don't want to get you any suggestions because I have no clue and if I give you advice that could lead you to getting hurt even more!

no actually I do have on piece of advice...c'a doctor!

--------------
Tiffany Der #10

"You have to make it through the rain in order to see the Rainbow........."
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/09/12, 09:43 AM
Hi I used to have lower back pain after squats heavy curls etc...I then put in deadlifts every week into my back workout...that was 7 years ago, and I have not had the pain again.

--------------
Life comes by only once....Live it to the fullest!
dang
dang
Canada
2002/09/13, 10:37 PM
I used to have alot of lower back pain too. I noticed that when I started doing stomach crunches and not using a weight belt 2 years ago, that these pains have gone away.

I'm not saying to never wear a weight belt, but I find that too many people depend on them. I had a training partner that used to wear one for even doing an arm workout( he used to complain about lower back pain too).

I think that the body starts depending on it too much and your stabilizer muscles and lower back weaken because of it. This ends up leaving you an easy prey for injury.

I now always do stomach crunches after every workout. I keep my knees raised for it so I don't hyper extend my back. I do the same for bench and skull crushers. I also do deadlifts to strenghen my back (start up slow though to build your strenght).

You have to remember that the lower back is one of the slower muscles to recouperate. That's why it's so easy to really mess it up. If you're hurting bad, then I'd just start up real light and do lots of walking to strenghen up your side stabilizer muscles, stomach and lower back without hurting them further.
Once they're feeling better, then it's time to start training again :)
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/09/14, 09:43 AM
Dang has hit the nail on the head LOL many studies have been done in the past few years about belts. I used to wear one all the time...I have not worn one in about 4 years for any exercise. I did a set of squats 5 reps at 255 with out a belt and suffered no problems. I think it is because of my lower back, as I have said here and in other posts I deadlift every week. I was doing the same weight every week up till a year ago. I then increased the weight each time (again wearing no belt). Last week I hit 10 reps at 275lbs. I was sore for 4 days and that was it. The studies I have read state that the belt does help out somewhat, but over all it increases blood pressure to a high degree (in some to a danger level associated to strokes), over time can weaken the back (cause it relys on the belt to stablize) and cause injury to the back and intestines(spelling). Like Dang I had a workout partner that wor eit to do everything. I just think if you need it for everything you do you are using too much weight and need to drop the weight and work on the form.

--------------
Life comes by only once....Live it to the fullest!
Cormier
Cormier
Canada
2002/10/08, 06:57 AM
To stretch ur lower back, it's simple but you almost don't feel it. But it works! You have to lay down on your back and just bring ur knee up to your chest with your hands. Do it a few times with each knee. And that's just a stretch, it's not an exercise!!