Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Combining Powerlifting Bodybuilding?

Shocker_X12
Shocker_X12
United States
2002/06/04, 02:57 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out here has tried the 2 by maby doing 8 weeks of bodybuilding followed up by 8 weeks of powerlifting, I am not going into the sport of bodybuilding or anything, but I would like to have the big bulky muscles, but also combining powerlifting to help out my strength for sports would it be wise to do 8 weeks of bodybuilding followed by 8 weeks of powerlifting? Thanks for any help.
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/04, 05:45 PM
Yes, there are a few topics on this in the Powerlifting forum.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/04, 06:18 PM
A member actually incorporates powerlifting into his routines. You should read the posts that are in the powerlifting forum...very good info. in there!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/05, 02:23 AM
A good way to shock your muscles. Go ahead and enjoy!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/05, 03:45 AM
thats how all the old BB's used to train: they would do powerlifting training (though not to the extent of powerlifters) in order to add size, then train with BB techniques in order to get into contest shape.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/05, 10:20 AM
I have been working some pl routines into my ft program. For instance, I do squats 3 times a week (10 sets of 5 reps), upping the weight by 5 pounds each time I do them. So far, I can say that my strength has increased signigicantly and so has the definition and size of my legs!
One thing to watch very carefully is your form. It is sooo easy to put on more weight (being so intense and pumped), lift it, but lose form and risk injury.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/05, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't this make you disproportionate though? It would seem that doing this would work some muscles more than others..

--------------
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/05, 12:38 PM
not really, cain. the great thing about powerlifts is that they are multi-muscle/multi-joint lifts. these compound movements work large groups of muscles instead of just isolating a few. but a major benefit from them is the hormonal manipulation that can come from them. for intstance, if you train squats like you were getting ready for a competition, you would saturate you body with testosterone each time. the upper leg muscle group is the largest in the body, and when you beat the hell out of it, it forces your body to dump more testosterone in the blood stream, which, of course, benefits every muscle in your body.

--------------
Michael
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/05, 03:46 PM
Wow Rev, I knew there was more going.... I truly have felt better, bigger, since adding this into my ft program.

The problem was, as I think Philia mentioned on another post, that I was seeing no gains in my lower body (size wise). This has been a problem since I picked up a weight. So, after reading about this and other pl programs, I decided to implement it. It has made a HUGE difference. Oh, what Philia mentioned was that one should do more reps with less weight when trying to add size to legs. This seemed strange, but when coupled with increasing weight each time, I have actually added 40 lbs to my squat max in just a few weeks, in addition to size.

--------------
Ischjli
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/05, 04:03 PM
Hmmm. I may incorporate these once I get into a house. I'm already nervous squatting what I am on a third floor apartment. thanks for the info Rev.

--------------
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/05, 06:59 PM
hahahaha.....i know what u mean, cain. i remember this one gym where the free weights were on the second floor! that always bothered me. i never lifted there while preping for a comp.

--------------
Michael
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/05, 07:59 PM
Two things scare me currently, benching and squatting. I haven't quite gotten deadlifts up to super(being relative of course) weight yet, but what happens if I drop one?? I already heard what happens when a dumbell with 40 lbs on it slides of the kitchen table (don't ask). My downstairs neighbors hate me...

--------------
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/06, 01:59 AM
What I said ischjli (and thanks for quoting me) was that we got more slow twist fibres in the legs than the fast ones. So to fully develop the legs we just have to work with the fibres and give them the needed repetitions for max stimulation.

It's still great thou to do less reps and a lot heavier once in a while to beat the heck out of the muscles. We are actually terrifying and provocating the muscles to make it build itself stronger and greater, and that's what BB is all about.

BUT (because there is always a but) as I say soooo many times, we are all different (and the human body is and will always be a mystery) so what can work for you might not give any results for somebody else.

I'm happy to know that you gained strength and size ischjli!!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/06, 09:33 AM
Thanks Philia, me too! Never, never, never, have I had such success with the legs. Of course I didn't use creatine, glutamine, protein, aminos, the ANIMAL, food (in such quantities), water, rest..... Hmmm, maybe I am on to something?

--------------
Ischjli
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/06, 10:44 AM
Ischjli, when you do squats 3x per week, what percentage of your targeted 1-rep max do you train with? And, are you progressively increasing that percentage every other week?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/06, 01:17 PM
I began with 135 or about 40% of my max. The recommendation was for 50%, but I really wanted to start off relatively easy, concentrate on form and getting deep. The other recommendation was to increase by 5 lbs total (2 1/2's on each side) PER SQUAT DAY if your max was below 275 and by 10 lbs if it was 275 or higher. With the exception of the second day when I only went up 5 lbs total, I have increased the load 10 lbs per day.

--------------
Ischjli