Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Push ups!

babyg25
babyg25
New Zealand
2002/08/23, 06:51 AM
It's me again,

I cannot do push ups, not female push ups either. Is there another way to work the same muscles u work when doing push ups because as i'm using my own body weight as resistance, it's really REALLY wayy too much for me to ummmm 'push up'. Every muscle in my body (well most) have been dormant for around 5yrs so jumping into push ups is not realistic for me. I'm working out at home mostly cause i have really low self esteem and get paranoid in gyms. I'm doing the home training ft program (which is wonderful by the way). So if anyone has any ideas please feel free to share.

oh and the other thing is, when doing my workout and i've put in the amount of reps, what do i put in the lb/kg used box if i'm using my own weight for resistance? or not even using a weight (eg: squats)??

thx
baby
Kymryan
Kymryan
United States
2002/08/23, 07:11 AM
Keep trying to push up! I know it is frustrating but keep at it- maybe 2 and then work to 3 and 4.
A bench press move can help- or really concentrate hard on activating the pec and squeeze hard with your arms out and resist as you bring them back slowly.
You could use a rubber strap for resistance or something around the house like a soup can.

Keep up the hard work!
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/08/23, 12:42 PM
babyg, keep trying like kymryan said. I remember when I first started attempting to do chin ups and I would struggle and struggle (and this was at a gym too so lots of people could see me!), but now I can actually get two full ones in before I start struggling, so keep at it. Probably as you continue to do your cardio and lose more weight it'll get easier for you, but it's nothing to be ashamed of.
For the amount of weight you can either put in your body weight or just put in 0. Be consistent.
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/08/23, 02:34 PM
If you can't do pushups and you want to work out at home, I would go to walmart and get a few sets of dumbbells and a bench. Then I would start doing dumbbells bench press and bent-over rows. These excerises will develop the muscles that enable you to do pushups. Also, like Lumina said, as you lose more fat, you should be able to start doing some push-ups. Good Luck

--------------
Anything can be done
OliveU2
OliveU2
United States
2002/08/23, 05:01 PM
Try doing your push ups against a wall. It's even easier than "girl" push ups. You will be doing push ups on the floor in no time. Keep pushing!!!
babyg25
babyg25
New Zealand
2002/08/25, 10:42 PM
hi all,

i tried a few suggestions noted above, re: push ups. I can't quite do 1 yet (shame!), most of it, just can't quite seem to get up SO i tried pushing against the wall which is brilliant and i've been experimenting on different angles (push ups that is) BUT it's not hurting at all, feeling it in my arms not my chest. Does this mean that i'm doing it wrong?

thx
baby
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/08/25, 11:52 PM
Maybe your arms aren't spread wide enough apart?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/26, 02:36 AM
No, it just means that your arms are weaker than your chest muscle..... It's normal, since you got small muscles (arms) against a big (pecs) so the little ones hurt first.....

You need to strengthen your arms.

Just keep on doing the push ups, it'll come.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/08/26, 04:42 PM
Philia is correct.

I was in the same exact situation.
When you do push-ups you use more muscle then you realize.
Chest, Back, Shoulders and Triceps.
I figured out that my triceps were weak.

This is what I did and it worked for me.
I did this once a week and upped the weight as I progressed.
Dumbbell kickbacks
Behind the head one arm extensions.
Both arms behind the head extensions.
Sissy push-ups worked my way up. Arms are shoulder width apart.

Had a mock PRT (Physical Readiness Test) on Friday.
I did 21 regular push-ups in 75 Sec. Not bad for a girl who could not do even one 2 months ago.

You can do it. Try it and keep us posted.
As far as going to the gym and being embarrassed forget about it. Go, work hard and when people see you are serious about changing your body and see the results after a couple of months, the change will be incredible.

:) Melissa

--------------
Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2002/08/27, 10:53 PM
I think Mandre has a point; in a lot of women (men too) it's the triceps that fail first; you can work your chest all day long but if your triceps are weak, you won't be able to do pushups. Same goes for shoulders - I know when I do pushups my shoulders are the first to go. Start with as many knee pushups as you can do (even if it's just one or two) then go to wall pushups - then when you're doing all your pushups on your knees start with one toe pushup and finish with knees.

Chinups, now... ACK! I'm lucky if I can do two without starting to shake all over!
EGChic207
EGChic207
United States
2002/09/01, 12:04 AM
triceps and deltoids and a little bit of biceps are the basic muscles you use to do a pushup.

try other smaller exercies that target the muscle group, making sure that you can do atleast 5 reps and workup.

For an example, for biceps get a heavy book and do x reps till failure. this will build ur bicep muscles over the few weeks, and then you can work towards the pushup.

and for triceps, lay flat on the floor and get a heavy book. in a sup. position with two hands, hold the book up right. lower the book and then raise it up again, go till failure, and again, this will build up your muscle so you might get up to the pushup

goodluck!

--------------
Tiffany Der #10

"You have to make it through the rain in order to see the Rainbow........."
babyg25
babyg25
New Zealand
2002/09/02, 08:49 AM
hi all,

thx for all the advice and motivation much appreciated. It's the beginning of my 4th week and I'm working my way down to the floor. I actually did a 'girly' push up (just the one) but i felt myself pushing up more on one side than both arms together so my question is........ is that cheating? am i doing it wrong?

The prob is, my left side has always been stronger than my right, right arm gives out before left when lifting weights, right leg feels like it's gonna snap when doing squats but fine on left. So ok i'm not perfectly symmetrical but who is!!!! My goal is to do 2-5 proper push ups (real push ups) by the end of my 12wks which i think is obtainable. So if anyone knows if i'm doing wrong, what i'm doing wrong and how to remedy that, please share......

cheers
baby
wgarrett10
wgarrett10
United States
2006/01/23, 06:49 PM
What muscle does push ups stretch?
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/01/27, 08:56 AM
babyg, congrads on getting a girly pushup under your belt. I would suggest that you mentally tell your other arm to push more as you are trying. Later when you get into a gym I would recommend that you take up dumbbell presses to even out your strength on both arms.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/27, 05:47 PM
I hope by now she has figured it out and is getting a good, real push-up, that was nealry four years ago....

wgarrett10 - to answer your question...I think you probably menat what muscles does apush-up work? It works your chest, your shoulders, your triceps, your abs and low back have to stabilize the plank position, tighteneing your glutes and hamstrings/legs will also help, honestly it works most muscles. Primarily the first three on that list.

I suppose you could consider the downward phase, as your arms bend a strech for your chest and front deltoids.

--------------
Dont spend your precious time asking \"Why isnt the world a better place?\" It will only be time wasted. The question to ask is \"How can I make it better?\" To that there is an answer.
- Leo Buscaglia
babyg25
babyg25
New Zealand
2006/01/31, 06:40 PM
hi all

wow i posted this thread about 2yrs ago. its now jan 2006 and i'm happy to report that i can do at least 12 full push ups before my arms turn to jelly. my arms are alot stronger now and i've pushed myself way beyond 'self-imposed' limits.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/02, 10:55 AM
Congrats babyg! Good to hear you stuck with it!
iammegahappy
iammegahappy
United Kingdom
2007/06/19, 09:10 AM
i cant do them either!they make my boobs hurt? what can i do otherwise? xx:surprised:
twinkl2133
twinkl2133
United States
2008/08/12, 11:40 PM
I am so annoyed by the whole push-up thing as well! I can't even do 1 proper female push-up! I plan on going to the police academy in Feburary and at the rate I am going my dream seems like it will never come true! I have the opportunity to get into the sheriffs department the only problem is I have less than 2 weeks to get in shape! I have to be able to perform 17 female push-ups! I am doing as many as I can, but I do not go all the way down and I am not sure if I am in the proper position! Someone give me so pointers before my dream is a lost cause!:(
Luvzhim
Luvzhim
United States
2009/10/18, 01:17 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: