Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Food poisoning

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/11/12, 09:36 PM
As you can probably tell from the subject of the post, I got food poisoning. I had it once in college and I got it again on Sunday. NOT a fun time. Monday November 11 was my birthday and I spent 8 hours in the hospital feeling like total crap. I wasn't in the hospital for me, though. My wife got it worse than I did. We're both feeling better now that we're hydrated and able to look at food without violently vomitting.

Just some advice to those who may get this in the future:
STAY HYDRATED!! No matter how much you're vomitting, etc you must stay properly hydrated. My wife went through 2L (about a half a gallon) of IV fluids. I lost 4 lbs in just two days and I think the reason is my lower-than-normal water intake. Although I did my best to stay hydrated (and I even made a couple protein shakes!), I still lost weight. But, it would have been much worse if I didn't force myself to drink more water.

----------------------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/11/12, 09:48 PM
WHOA!
Hope both of you are better.
Were you able to tace what you got it from?
I was in the hospital for a week about 30 yrs ago with food poisoning. Gets pretty ugly.
Take your time getting back.

--------------
To change it, or to create it, simply train it!

Ivan
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/11/12, 10:29 PM
Glad to hear you are fine...that food poisoning can make you feel like you are going to die! Welcome back, can't wait to see your posts about new personal best in the bench again!
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/11/18, 05:44 PM
Happy belated b-day! You share the same b-day as my great-grandpa. I hope you've done something nice to make up for your special day going so bad.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/19, 02:02 AM
Wow I'm sorry that you had to go through all that Jbennet!!!

Now do you know what food gave you this?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/11/19, 12:31 PM
I'm feeling much better now, thanks. I had to take 8 days off, but I'm back with a vengance. I'm not letting this stand in the way of my goals.

I know exactly what food caused it. My wife's parent's took us out to dinner for my birthday and both of us ordered steak fajitas (not too unhealthy!). The restaurant was cool about the whole deal and agreed to pay for our meal and any medical expenses (although there were none - insurance).

--------------
--JBennett
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/11/19, 12:40 PM
Oh.............. I also lost 7lbs in 2 days. I am NOT thrilled with that at all. If anyone is interested in some crazy crash diet, try food poisoning.

--------------
--JBennett