Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

protein

atcis4me
atcis4me
United States
2002/10/09, 01:04 PM
this is kinda funny, i was talking to this guy who said he got gout from taking to much protein. now to me this does not sound right anybody know whats up?????
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/10/09, 01:13 PM
aww, geez... the typical distortion of a small bit of knowledge. here is the real info, courtesy of the Cleveland Clinic:

"Gout was once incorrectly thought to be a disease of the rich and famous, caused by consuming too much rich food and fine wine. Although diet and excessive drinking contribute to gout, they are not the main cause of the disorder.

Gout results from abnormal deposits of sodium urate crystals in the joint cartilage that are later released into the joint fluid. Uric acid crystals, which are related to sodium urate, also can form in the kidney, causing kidney stones.

Sodium urate is formed from uric acid, a natural chemical in the body. Uric acid comes from the natural breakdown of RNA (ribonucleic acid) and DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), the genetic material in cells. Some foods contain large amounts of uric acid, especially red meats and organ meats (such as liver and kidneys), some shellfish and anchovies.

Uric acid in normal amounts remains dissolved in the blood, and easily passes through the kidneys and leaves the body as waste. Uric acid in high amounts, however, makes a person more likely to develop gout... Gout affects more than 1 million Americans, including men usually over age 30, people who are overweight, people who frequently drink alcohol and people who use diuretics ("water pills") to lower blood pressure or to treat heart disease.

When gout affects women, it is usually after menopause, especially in women who are taking certain medications. Less often, younger patients may be affected by gout if they have been taking certain medications for long periods of time, frequently drink alcoholic beverages or have certain genetic disorders."

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/10/09, 01:21 PM
I have gout and it comes on if I eat the normal govt directed amount or what I normally eat. I have asked the doctor and they said that if you eat a lot of liver or actuall kidney and a lot at that gout would be increased

--------------
I LIFT, THERFORE, I AM!
atcis4me
atcis4me
United States
2002/10/09, 06:09 PM
like i said its funny but im new to all this and i had to be 100% on it. thanxs
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/10/10, 11:39 AM
Great post Rev8ball...there are so many misconceptions out there. It is great to get some real scientific proof every now and then. You are so right, a small bit of knowledge, and a huge spin, and voia', the scare tactics begin.