Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Testing the theory..

Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2008/03/21, 11:38 PM
So the theory of 1 gram of protein per lb during cutting/maintenance is sticking in my craw.I understand the logic, but I can't remember if I am thinking wrong, or the websites are very generalized. Shouldn't it be one gram per lb of LEAN body mass? Otherwise, you are just feeding the excess fat you have.. Which for beginngers can be very detrimental. You take 280lb guy who really should be 225, and thats a 55 grams of fat your feeding.

--------------
My body is a temple, and my mind is the god I worship.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/22, 09:22 AM
cainsands - I think it depends on the person and their daily expenditure. I tend to design diets by ratio, rather than just 1g of protein per pound of weight, and yes, when I started in all this it was 1g per pound of lean mass or even .8g per kilogram of lean mass. At some point it got generalized to 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight - but i don't think there are specific studies that back up that change. i think it is one of those things that became repeated so often that it has been accepted as "fact", kind of like not eating any fruit when cutting.. there really isn't a lot of science behind it.

I do also think some people respond well to higher protein intake and other people seem to utilize carbs better - so 1g of protein per pound of mass may not work for everyone, just as low carb diets don't seem to work for everyone.

Also - when you calculate calories - how do you decide whether to base it on lean mass or on total weight? There are just as many variances on calorie calculation.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/22, 11:24 AM
The more carbs you eat, probably the less protein you need. Keep in mind, carbs are protein sparing, so if plenty of 'energy' taken in from other sources than protein, your body can and does utilize smaller amounts of protein usefully. However, when dieting begins, this all changes for obvious reasons. Your protein needs will rise fairly dramatically as you diet longer and harder.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2008/03/22, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the responses folks,
Simmer, just call me Cain. I just returned to fitness from a long hiatus so I'm trying to remember and figure out all the changes. I have noticed a significant trend towards the ratios having a larger importance then just the caloric intake as simmmer mentioned. As far as how to calculate? My method probably won't work for alot of people cause I know my body really well. At my very leanest I was 235 and that was five years ago. I figured with muscle loss and organ growth 240 grams of protein was a good goal. (I'm cutting obviously) I've lost about 20Lbs so far in about 6 weeks so I'm doing good. I just noticed that the diet calculator both here and at bodybuilding.com use the 1g per lb method and it made me go hmm... cause I was originally about 60lbs overweight and that was wwaaaay too many calories. Anyway, I'm still playing mad scientist with my diet so thanks for the answers.

--------------
My body is a temple, and my mind is the god I worship.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/03/25, 11:47 AM
The research used by the ADA is based on total body weight (tbw), and RDs use the standard of 0.8g to 2.0g per kg of tbw per day for athletes. However, if you talk to many sports physiologists and/or RDs with sports nutrition experience, you'll heard them go above the 2.0g/kg/tbw/day, and they'll also suggest dropping tbw and using LBM.

It's one of the major areas of contention between general RDs and sports phyisiologists (i.e. the ADA and ISSN), and there has been alot of discussion on it, particularly of late.

BTW, good to see you back.....

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.