Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

mono and working out

dan898
dan898
Canada
2008/03/07, 11:46 AM
went to the doctor the other day and it turns out i have mono. for my own benifit should i just completly stop working out untill its gone or what should i do? I was just starting to get some gains and now this happends.
dan898
dan898
Canada
2008/03/07, 11:51 AM
oh and it looks liek I am in about week 3-4 of mono
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/03/07, 11:52 AM
Mono doesn't go away it just goes into remission. I would probably take a week or two off or just do some light training. The bottom line is that you don't want to tax your system too much because it will negatively affect your immune system.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/07, 12:22 PM
My freshman year I got sick for about 2-3 weeks, barely even got to the gym for about a week of this, and it was far from productive. About a month later after some tests I was told I had mono.

I didn't even miss training through this.

Another kid I knew got mono so bad that he had to withdraw from school.

My point is that it affects people differently. Looking back, it would have been smart for me to take that time off anyways, it's not like I accomplished anything. If you force yourself to go in and your not having good workouts, it's not like you're going to see gains from it, and like pemdas said, you'll just be taxing your immune system.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/03/07, 01:49 PM
I second what Steve said. I have had friends with the same experience.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/03/07, 01:58 PM
There are different strains of mono. Some are worse then others. Hopefully you don't have a bad one.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/03/07, 02:26 PM
I echo that of everyone above. I had mono and I was completely drained for like 5 days, barely moved out of bed. My brother had it and didn't miss a day of class.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/03/07, 05:55 PM
i had mono that came with a slight fever. i went to my first class on the first day of last semester. sat down. and just began sweating. i completely soaked my shirt, was dripping all over the place. some kid was just staring at me so i pretended i was new and asked where the nurses office was. he drew me a map. i dont really know why i told that...

anyway. i would take the time off. just use it to sleep. thats all i did. your body needs time to recoup. when you start feeling a little better go in and get some light work in. its been like 6mo now and i swear i still have some of the lethargy...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/03/08, 08:43 AM
just make sure you eat...even if it's "crap" your body needs fuel

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/03/08, 04:21 PM
Andrew is right that your body needs fuel, but I would never, ever, tell you to eat "crap" or junk food. He has a good point, and am not trying to take it out of context, but...

If you don't feel like eating, and don't feel like you can eat much, choose the foods with the most nutrient density per serving, like fruits/veggies and a high-quality protein. This way you get your bang for your buck nutritionally, your body will thank you, and heck, you may even speed up recovery.

Get well!

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/08, 05:09 PM
============
Quoting from arondaballer:

Andrew is right that your body needs fuel, but I would never, ever, tell you to eat "crap" or junk food.

=============

But you can bet that I would! I feel kinda like the devils advocate here, but he'd be better off with a protein shake w/olive oil and a snickers bar than he would be not choking down a chicken breast and some vegetables.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/03/09, 10:32 AM
Problem is..when your sick...some things don't taste right. When I had the flu...chicken breasts and green veggies tasted horriable. Even a protein shake I about threw up.

So if oreo's tasts good and he can keep it down eat them. Double cheese burgers...eat it.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/03/10, 12:22 PM
In your examples, I can definitely agree, and chicken breasts with veggies don't really ever taste that great to me...haha

These are good points, but I still like to think that there's (almost) never a real good reason to have junk.

I'm sure there's some fruit/fruit juices that could be found that taste fine to most sick people. I just think nutrition is a mighty weapon against practically any ailment.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

adalos
adalos
United States
2008/04/22, 02:55 PM
I got mono really bad about 7 years ago and went from around 180 pounds to around 130 pounds over the course of a few months. I've actually had it twice, which is very rare.. and more an actual resurgence of the virus than actually catching it again. The problem with mono is you often don't know you have it, since it doesn't have symptoms that necessarily jump out that let you know you're sick.

For me, I was just extremely tired all the time and was never hungry (thus the weight loss). I ended up getting fired from my job for showing up really late or not coming in at all.. and I'm the type of person who NEVER comes in late. I just couldn't get out of bed some days.

As far as working out, just keep in mind that with mono comes inflamation of the spleen. If you are working out and straining, you greatly increase the risk of rupturing the spleen. 3-4 weeks of just light exercise is about the max I would recommend, or until the spleen inflamation goes away (you can actually feel it on your left side, tender to the touch).

the most important thing with mono is to force yourself to eat and drink fluids.