Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

I THOUGHT I was in shape!

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 01:51 PM
I had to copy my myspace blog for today over here. I thought some of you may enjoy it although it is probably too long for some (like Charlie) to read. ha ha.
I joined a new step aerobics class. I jog, do yoga, do kickboxing, swim laps, lift weights, etc. This class should be a piece of cake. Right? HA! I strutted into the 35 minute step class last night at 5:30 in my cute little gym outfit, and secretly looked around the room at the people using JUST the step. No risers, JUST the step. Wimps. I decided to use just the step myself due to my recovering knees, and because I wanted to see what this teacher was made of. I figure I?ll add 2 risers per side on Wednesday for the next class. So I go and set my water and towel down in a spot so that I can go grab the step without losing the spot in class. When I come back these 4 older ladies (50ish) surround me and tell me that the spot is taken, and I should be able to tell by the towel and water there? So, I smiled and said ?Yes, that?s my water and towel?. So, Edith (one of the ladies) says that she just assumed that it was Meridith?s towel and water since that?s where SHE always steps. MY BAD! So, I offered to move, and they said that it wasn?t necessary. Well, with them all surrounding me, I was a little nervous about the menopause mafia and decided to move anyway. I went to the very back corner of the room.
Then the music started. And we are warming up. No biggie. The warm up turned into a boot camp style workout which included jumping jacks, wind sprints, squats, etc. What the heck is this!? Well, I kept up. Because I?m a fitness junkie and I can! HA!
Then the step aerobics started. It?s all good. I can do this. So, I?m stepping, and stepping AND STEPPING. It never stops! Finally I look at the clock and it?s 6:00. I figure it must be time to cool down soon which is good because I was covered in sweat. What the heck!? Even the menopause mafia isn?t sweating like me! I think that I was just working much harder than they were. (yeah right)
So, the instructor tells us to back away from the steps, grab our weights and our resistance bands. Huh? This is step class. Not weight class. I forgot to mention that I lifted weights for 45 minutes prior to this class. And it was leg day (I'm a mental giant, aren't I?). So, I grab some light little 8 pounders and we start doing weights. This goes on for 15 minutes or so. Squats, lunges, weights, squats with resistance bands, lunges with weights, jumping jacks with weights, etc. I really wanted to yell, ?I just did squats and weights in the gym, I?m excused from doing them again?, but didn?t want to be wimpy.
We were then allowed to put our weights down, and finally the cool down. But NO! She tells us to get back near the step and we are going to ?Take it from the top!? Take WHAT from the top? I?m assuming you mean we are going to take the cool down from the top! She did not mean the cool down. The wind sprints, the jumping jacks, the full step routine, all over again. From the top. We did finally get to cool down and end with some pilates to work our abs (apparently the 4 sets of vertical crunches and 5 minute plank hold wasn?t enough for my abs).
I learned the hard way that this was a 75 minute class, NOT 35 minutes. But, I?ll do it again. Every Mon. Wed. and Saturday. Next time I will be prepared and will have TWO bottles of water and will NOT be adding risers. Not yet anyway.
My heart goes out to all you boot camp steppers out there. It?s harder than it looks!!!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 01:53 PM
Sorry about all the ?'s. Apparently something went amiss in the copy and paste from myspace to FT. Sorry about that.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/04, 02:02 PM
Amy - that is too much after legs - do your lifting on seperate days from this class, then or you will end up overtrained - sounds like it was fun even though it was tougher than expected :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

2008/03/04, 02:09 PM
Agreed with Amy as usual...I think...I am only reading every third line of your posts in an effort to save my valuable time.

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop

Charlie
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/03/04, 02:21 PM
Be honest old man you only understand every third line!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/03/04, 02:25 PM
Man you two are full of jokes aren't ya?

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
2008/03/04, 02:27 PM
I was honest my leg humping car chasing friend. It's a matter of time. iIt's hard to drag the laptop around when the metamucil kicks in.

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop

Charlie
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 02:37 PM
Well of course it was too much Amy after legs! I realize that NOW! ha ha. Time to sit down again and re-schedule my routine. I'm so used to lifting on Mon., Wed., Fri, now this new class schedule has thrown me off. Back to remedial time management class for me.
Charlie, I'll type slower for you so that you can understand.
I went to gym. Class was hard. Hurt my bum. Ouchy!
OH! And GET THIS! I forgot to even put this in my blog. After class the teacher announced over her little head set thingy that Mondays are Maragarita nights after class at Grandmother's bar and grill. HUH? What kind of post workout meal is that? ha ha. The thought of margaratias made me want to puke!
For Charlie:
Instructor is a drunk. I don't like tequilla. Did not drink with her.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/03/04, 02:40 PM
There you go Amy, nice and simple for the geezer!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2008/03/04, 02:53 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my mine around the fact that you have time to blog after all this.:big_smile:

Do I hear dogs barking?

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop

Charlie
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 02:55 PM
Of course I have time to blog. What else would I do at work? ha ha.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 03:13 PM
You did a 5 minute ab plank?! That would make me cry.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 03:20 PM
On a side note, I do agree that that is too much to do after legs. However, I think it would be great the day after legs. I often do stair climbing or high rep squats the day after I squat to open up my hips and get blood into my legs to help with recovery.

Also, expect to adapt quickly.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 03:29 PM
Thanks Steve. I worked up to the plank, but that's the yoga talking. ha ha. I still can't do a tricep dip to save my life, so it all balances out. ha ha.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/04, 03:31 PM
Oh, and I just re-read my blog. I should clarify, it's 5 minutes WORTH of plank pose. 45 second hold, 10 second rest on and off for 5 mins. Not 5 mins straight. Holy cow! I'm not THAT crazy!
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/04, 03:54 PM
Thank you for clarifying that Amy!! I was confused as to how anybody could hold a plank pose for 5 minutes straight.. I know I'm having a good day if I'm able to last a minute!

Good job toughing the class out though.. especially on a leg day, I know I would have had a lot of difficulty doing it!

============
Quoting from amyksmith76:

Oh, and I just re-read my blog. I should clarify, it's 5 minutes WORTH of plank pose. 45 second hold, 10 second rest on and off for 5 mins. Not 5 mins straight. Holy cow! I'm not THAT crazy!
=============