Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Training around injuries reference post.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/12, 02:20 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/knife_game.htm

I'll post more when I have time, just wanted to make sure this got here.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/12, 05:36 PM
I'll try to make a weekly post here, and I'll offer advice about training around injuries (I've suffered through MANY injuries and a few surgeries).

Here lies one of my best tips...
http://www.usbodyware.com/shearpadancu.htm
These ankle cuffs can be attached to any cable stack. You can wear them on your wrist (in event of hand/forearm injury) or on the ankle (for foot/ankle injuries). As long as you can properly redirect the resistance of a cable stack, you can do exercises you would normally do, without having to hold the weight.

Ankle weights offer another alternative, although they are not as easily adjustable in terms of resistance level, and higher resistance levels can be expensive (you can get up to 25lb ankle weights through some rehabilitation specialty stores).

When you consider these 2 alternatives, you can see that you can come up with a variety of exercises to work around your hand or foot injury.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 03:26 PM
Does anyone want to pick an injury, and then we can discuss how you could train around it?

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/03/04, 03:29 PM
tendonitist in the left forearm area

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/04, 03:44 PM
How about bad knees? I've had problems with mine since I was about 13, and I've been to PT twice for them. It seems like every few years they start acting up again, and I don't know why.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 06:16 PM
Good one Scott.

The proper diagnosis is usually tendonosis, as opposed to the "popular" diagnosis of tendonitis.

Now if it is in the forearm, it may or may not be epicondylitis, or tennis elbow. I made a post on that a few weeks back after someone asked about elbow pain.

Lets start off with the solution: http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/pro/Message.jsp?f_ix=6&t_ix=742
In addition, I have found band traction work to be VERY

As for training around it, find what doesn't hurt. More often than not, a thin bar will cause more pain than it is worth... Using a thick bar for pressing movements may be very helpful. We made one last year out of a $12 1.75" pipe from the home depot last year after I dislocated my thumb. The wider base should be easier on the wrist.

As for pulling movements, try utilizing straps or hooks (http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_hook_straps). For anything under 500lbs, I recommend APT. For anything over, it is probably worth looking into the Ironmind Strong Enough Straps (or straps sewn from seatbelt fabric, according to Mark Rippetoe). This will reduce the amount of force you have to put on the bar.

One thing that may help would be reevaluating the way you are squatting. Squatting with a straight bar puts the shoulders in a heavily adducted and depressed position, and tends to put stress on the shoulder, elbow, and forearm. Aside from correcting technique, it may be helpful to switch to a cambered bar or safety squat bar for a while. Front squats holding straps (http://www.straighttothebar.com/images/posts/061004_frontsquatstraps.jpg) could be worth looking into if you don't have access. Just wrap the straps around the bar like you would your wrist, and hold onto the excess like it shows in the picture.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 06:22 PM
============
Quoting from yessicarathsak:

bad knees?
=============

This is one I'd rather fix than work around. But in keeping with the spirit of the thread...

The most obvious solution would be to avoid high contact exercises. Running, especially on a treadmill, is the first thing to go. Fortunately there are many alternatives: elypticals, treadclimbers, a variety of other cardio equipment I've never gotten to know on a one-on-one basis). In addition, upper body barbell and db complexes would be great as far as cardiovascular health is concerned. An example just off the top of my head would be alternating between an overhead press and a bent over row without resting or changing weights...

As far as resistance training goes, the rest would depend on the actual problem with the knees. But like I said, I'd rather fix this particular problem head on.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/04, 07:16 PM
Thanks Steve.

My therapist said that my kneecaps were crooked, and as far as I know that's the only problem I have with my knees, as I've had MRIs and stuff on them. I just don't know why they keep sliding out of place. I'll definitely try incorporating the elliptical and bike into my cardio workouts rather than using the treadmill all the time though if you think that that would help.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 08:12 PM
If something is crooked, the cure isn't to stop using them, it's to fix whatever is causing the misalignment. I've mentioned this before, but chronic knee problems are usually a problem with the hips or ankles that is presenting at the knees.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/04, 08:42 PM
Yeah, it's probably my hips then. I've got a torn labrum(sp?) on both my hips, but I'm waiting until I really have to get the surgery to actually go through with it, as the problem isn't really a prominent issue right now, and the surgery may not even be successful. So would treadmills be okay to use still then?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/04, 10:18 PM
OH, ME TOO!

It's more than likely related to the CAUSE of another hip dysfunction, while a torn labrum is generally considered a symptom.

I'd be willing to discuss it more, but it could probably go in another thread...

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/04, 10:25 PM
Oh, okay. What would be a good thread to go in then? I'd be really interested in knowing what hip dysfunctions there are and other stuff like that. I figure I'm only just about to turn 19, so the sooner I can get this stuff taken care of the better, before I'm 30 and unable to work out anymore haha.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/03/05, 11:25 AM
Start a new one in this forum.