Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Fish Oil Sup.

Folker_H
Folker_H
United States
2007/10/29, 01:59 AM
Hello. I'v been a member for just over three weeks ,and i think everybody,and the program is super!! Just last week,i started taking fish oil supplements ,for the Omega3's This oil contains EPA&DHA fatty acids. i didn't pay attention when i bought it,and they are 1000mg caps. Is that too much? directions say one cap three times a day. Is two much harmful? Thanks. Harold

--------------
Harold, I guess their right, your only as old as you feel! after all this i\\\'ll be thirty again!!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/10/29, 06:30 AM
1000mg is standard and taking 3x's a day is sufficient :)

--------------
I am proof there isnt a *set point* :D
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/29, 01:58 PM
Too much can be oxidative, which is why I recommend vitamin E when megadosing (fat soluble anti-oxidant). However, I've done 30 grams a day for a month and saw MANY positive results.

You have to realize that when taking omega 3's, you ar trying to balance the omega 3: omega 6 ratio, and since you get a lot of omega 6's from processed foods, you shouldn't worry about taking too much. Most people I know, myself included, aim for 6-12 grams a day (for me it depends on what my diet for the day looks like).

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/29, 01:59 PM
Also, keep in mind that the amount of fish oil you are taking is secondary to the amount of DHA and EPA you are getting.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/30, 08:25 AM
30 grams a day? That seems like a lot. I've heard recommendations of 2 g per day, myself I take 4 g per day.

What were the positive results you speak of? What would be the advantage of such a large dosing cycle like that?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/30, 03:22 PM
General recommendation is 8-12.

I did a megadose as an experiment. I had read that charles poliquin often recommends it, and other people were trying it at the time with great results, so I figured it was cheap enough that it wouldn't hurt. The premise behind it is super-saturation and the elimination of inflammation.

About 2 weeks in I stopped having problems with dry skin. Elbows, hands, face, all started to get better, fast.

Also, despite the added calories, I most definately got leaner. Really fast actually. I had in the past recommended as a dietary change, 10 grams per day to people looking to lose weight, and had seen great result.

This one is weird, and possibly abstact, but I normally have allergies throughout the summer, and didn't have as much problem this year. Don't know if it was the fish oil, or if I'm just outgrowing it.

However, the largest benefits came later. I have always had ADD, diagnosed with a learning disability as a child, sent to military school in middle school, the works. I still struggle heavily with this, and don't use medication any more, but I have a much easier time staying focused when I'm using fish oil. I don't care who says what, I notice a DEFINITIVE difference.

And most obviously was the reduction in joint pain and inflammation. I have more problems with my hips than anyone I know (scheduled for three surgeries this winter, constantly doing pt) and I noticed a reduction in pain. I still hurt, and it's not like I was suddenly a new man, but I could lie in bed at night and not be in constant pain in every position. This is enough for me. My shoulders and other joints felt loose and in perfect order.

Now for what a lot of people won't tell you.
NEGATIVES:
I've always had problems with sleeping enough, and this is something that I've been getting better at dealing with through various remedies, but I noticed I had a much tougher problem sleeping.
Also, fish oil burbs suck. I was taking carson's liquid fish oil at the time (lemon flavor) instead of pills and this got annoying quickly.
As I said before, fish oil can be oxidative. Since it is a fat, I recommend taking it with vitamin E, a fat soluble anti-oxidant.
And finally, my blood got thinner. This may be from the vitamin E (a blood thinner, the one I recommend over aspirin) but even shaving cuts became a pain in the ass.

I haven't megadosed since, and have even stopped taking it for periods of travel, but it's not like as soon as I stopped I lost all the benefits. I am currently taking 3-5 grams of biotest's flame out for 3 weeks, and will follow that up with 3-4 weeks of 8-12 grams of generic, and 3-4 weeks of 10-15 grams of carson's (I think it best to rotate through sources)

One last word of advice, refrigerate your fish oil

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk