Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

here we go again.....straps

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/10/10, 10:34 PM
Ok I look around on youtube at vids and seen pics. I seen several vids and pics of people using straps while training. Now I know the saying is if you can't hold it don't lift it. BUT can it be a aid in getting stronger?

I even found a workout for deadlifts...that allows you to use straps on the snatch grip deadlift off a box.

I'd liek to get some and baybe use them for rack lockout to get my back stronger and over load it.

so thoughts?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/11, 12:29 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2007/10/11, 04:20 AM
i view straps as another tool in your arsenal. Use them smartly and they will help make you stronger....overuse them and pay the price of a weak grip.

I use them quite often and I can hold on to more than my 1rm in deadlifts. I prefer to use them to spare my grip when doing specific based grip training in other things or doing exercises where there's slippery grip issues. Also some exercises I do with DOH(shrugs,bors,cleans) vs my regular mixed grip for deads so I use straps then also.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/11, 08:32 AM
There's kids at my gym who use straps for everything. Not wrist wraps, straps. Bench presses, squats, I mean everything. It's funny to watch. I also love those with straps and gloves.

I will usually use my straps for my last set of DLs. I've failed a couple of times right before lockout because my grip was slipping. More than anything I just don't want to drop that much weight from that height.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/11, 01:32 PM
I can't see anyone doing snatch grip deadlifts without straps. I've never used them for lockouts, because I'm trying to get my body used to the weight, and that includes my hands, but I use them on certain exercises.

Like Menace said, another tool in your arsenal, but they should in no way be a cop out.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/10/11, 01:43 PM
i try not to use straps unless i forget my chalk. i actually have trouble lifting the same amount with straps cuz it puts to much pressure on my wrists.

i do snatch dl w/o straps. i find its even more of a grip workout than normal and tears the shi-t outta my hands.

definitly use them if it allows you to build up more than you would normally be able to, but like everyone else said, use them sparingly