Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

?Powerlifters are People, Too?

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/13, 12:41 PM

?Powerlifters are People, Too?

Since crossing over from the world of fitness and figure competitions to powerlifting, I have experienced on more than one occasion rude comments from people who insinuate that powerlifters do not consider fitness or aesthetic appeal paramount. Supposedly, since it?s all about being strong; who cares what you look like? I enjoy showing this website to my clients and others who hold these opinions, and pointing out examples like Dave and Jim, Justin Harris, Julia Ladewski, and many others who hold their personal appearance and fitness level in high esteem, and demonstrate versatility in different sports while maintaining strength.It is frustrating to me that the general public often has this idea that power lifters train the same lifts every week, never do assistance work or cardio, eat like crap and don?t care anything about overall health.

I especially hate it when people make stereotypical comments about female power lifters who cross over into this sport and then dramatically alter their physical appearance so that they can become stronger. I personally think muscularity and femininity can be blended and still make an attractive look. It also depends on the individual- a level of muscularity that pushes the limits for one person may be extremely flattering for another.

So what am I writing all this for? Well, to prove a point, I did something that might have seemed absolutely crazy to a lot of people. (Except maybe to Dave). On Sunday July 1st , I heard about a Harley Davidson Bikini Spokesmodel competition that was being held on Tuesday July 3rd. So, with two days of preparation (which mainly consisted of me attempting to get comfortable walking in my six-inch heels again) I entered the contest along with thirty-seven other girls wanting to be the Harley-Davidson Spokesmodel.

Even from the very beginning it was obvious that I was substantially larger than almost all of the other girls. I started feeling a little nauseous because I figured I had made a mistake, and I was probably going to be laughed off the stage amidst comments of how muscular I was. But when they called the top 12, I was in it- then they called the top five, and I was in it- and then they announced the top three, and I was in it- and would you believe I won?

I wanted to post about this because it represents something that is important to me. I meet so many women who are afraid to lift heavy, who worry about getting bulky, who complain about being flabby and then shy away from squats because they worry their butt will get too big. I want to do everything I can to promote female strength and well-being. You don?t have to total elite or even close to it to get muscular definition and great health benefits. I may never break a world record, but since beginning my power lifting career I am stronger than I?ve ever been, and in my opinion I look better than I ever have. I want to encourage other women to push themselves and make the changes that they want to see in their bodies. Don?t be afraid to work hard!

On a side note, I would like to give a very special thanks to my Coach(es) Ox & Kristi Mason, Mike and Karen White, The AC Fitness Crew, The staff of Gold?s Gym, The staff of Super Walmart (where cans of tuna are ALWAYS half price), Jim and Kathy Morrone, and of course, my *STAR* Client Chad, who is my source of motivation and constant honest feedback; last and most important My ?Everything? Matthew, who loves and supports me no matter if I?m wearing a squat suit or a bikini, six-inch heels or Chuck?s.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=55783&tid=131

Hannah is an Elite-level powerlifter with a 992 total in the 148lb class. She has also competed in national-level figure competitions and was a nationally ranked tennis player as a teenager.

She is the owner of TotalBodyTurnaround, LLC Fitness Bootcamps and Personal Training. She has worked with a wide range of clients including professional athletes, the clinically obese and the elderly. She currently trains with Chris ?Ox? Mason and is simply referred to as ?The MINX.?

Stats (from elitefts.com)

Height: 5'6
Weight Classes: 148
Best Squat: 375lb
Best Bench: 255lb
Best Deadlift: 365lb
Best Total: 992lb

It should seem apparent why I posted this.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/07/13, 02:46 PM
Nice post Steve! Thanks for the motivation. :)

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/14, 08:58 AM
Beautiful! I hope all the women here will go to that website and look at her pictures! Anyone afraid of heavy weight making you 'bulky' should have those fears dispelled by her pictures and story!
Thanks, wrestler!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/15, 12:55 AM
I personally think she is gorgeous. The fact that she gets under several hundreds of pounds on a regular basis just make her that much hotter.

There are a few other pictures of her on the EFS site. Here are a couple.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=48021&tid=131
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=50975&tid=131
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=53771&tid=131

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/07/15, 01:07 AM
She is indeed a beautiful girl and what a motivation for women.

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown