Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Inc Bench, feeling front delts not chest

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/18, 09:10 AM
As stated in topic head, when doing my inc bench I really feel it in my front delts and not my chest. Now am I right in assuming that my technique is off? Or perhaps the incline on the bench is too high? Or is there nothing wrong?

Appreciated.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/06/18, 09:18 AM
just means that your delts (front) are strong. I too feel it there.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/18, 09:37 AM
Cheers mutt, the thought's been at the back of my mind for a while now. Am I right to assume that I am fine to continue as I am?
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/06/18, 03:36 PM
On the incline bp the synergist muscles are the front delt and the tricep. Dont be surprised to feel it in both of these areas.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/06/18, 04:43 PM
I would first question the degree of the incline. I've read that you don't want anything more than 30 degrees or you will start using your delts more in general than if flatter.

Try dropping another click on an adjustable bench and see if you still feel the same.

Would that mean that you have strong delts, or weak delts. If your shoulders are getting more of a workout it could mean that they need to be brought up to par with the chest/triceps.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/06/18, 04:50 PM
Most times a weaker muscle group will fail first...usually if you "feel" it in a muscle group on a compound movement to me that means that muscle is stronger not weaker as the weaker one would fail first.

--------------

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/18, 08:15 PM
If indeed my front delts are stronger, what could i do to combat this?

Also, I measured the angle and it is approx 40 degrees. The bench only has three "clicks", one for inc, dec, and flat; I tried placing a small weight inbetween and balancing the bench on that but it is prone to slipping and as a result unsafe. So is working at 40 degrees going to benefit my upper chest at all?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/06/18, 08:19 PM
Mutt - not arguing with you here, just trying to understand where you're coming from.

For instance, if your triceps are weaker than your chest wouldn't you feel them fatigue faster and thus feel it first before your chest gets an adequate workout.

If a muscle group is holding you back wouldn't it would hinder the ability to utilize the others to their full extent without isolation exercises?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/06/18, 08:28 PM
I didn't mean that there is a specific angle where you can clearly differentiate between upper chest and front delts. They are used simultaneously in most pushing exercises.

The 30 degrees I stated is what I've read is "optimum" for an upper chest movement, and more than that tends to start hitting your shoulders more. But since they are used simultaneously it isn't a huge difference.

============
Quoting from filthypl3b:

If indeed my front delts are stronger, what could i do to combat this?

Also, I measured the angle and it is approx 40 degrees. The bench only has three "clicks", one for inc, dec, and flat; I tried placing a small weight inbetween and balancing the bench on that but it is prone to slipping and as a result unsafe. So is working at 40 degrees going to benefit my upper chest at all?
=============
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/19, 08:39 AM
Brilliant, the thought that perhaps my upper chest wasn't being worked was beginning to affect my training psychologically. It is my lagging area and I have been concentrating on training to accommodate as of late.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/19, 10:31 AM
Your chest will still benefit...I was skeptical when my trainer took away flat bench and put me on incline for 8weeks...when i finally got to bench flat again - lo and behold it was better and stronger....

deltoids are smaller and will probably feel fatigue first just because of that - and many people have trouble getting in touch enough with their pecs to actually feel them working or getting fatigued - though they will experince DOMs, lol.

I would include a flat movement and an incline movement.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/06/19, 12:10 PM
THis is where the "everyone is different" comes to play for me. I have strong delts and when I do Incline bench they always feel it the most. My way around this is to make sure I do not arch my back a lot. that seems to bring the delts into it more when I arch. Anyway that is my opinion

--------------

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/19, 12:29 PM
Appreciated, that reassures me greatly. I feel more confident in what I'm doing now and will stick with both inc and flat and see how it goes over the summer.

Mutt, cheers, I'll try and limit the amount my back arches on inc.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Your chest will still benefit...I was skeptical when my trainer took away flat bench and put me on incline for 8weeks...when i finally got to bench flat again - lo and behold it was better and stronger....

deltoids are smaller and will probably feel fatigue first just because of that - and many people have trouble getting in touch enough with their pecs to actually feel them working or getting fatigued - though they will experince DOMs, lol.

I would include a flat movement and an incline movement.

=============

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/06/19, 12:54 PM
I would say if you're feeling it more in your front delts, then they are weaker because they are failing before your chest can get an adequate workout. The best way to combat this is to pre exhaust your chest. Do a set of incline dumbell flyes immediately before inclines. That way your chest will aleready be exhausted and will be able to be worked to failure on incline presses...
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/06/21, 01:35 AM
I had the same rpoblem early on into my exercise journey.

First I lowered the angle of the bench which helped immediately. Just recently I have been able to feel the burn in my chest like no other time before. I had attributed it to my muscles getting more evenly balanced, and I guess I was correct :)
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/21, 06:14 AM
Yeah but as I stated I can't lower it anymore, the next "click" is for flat bench then decline.

============
Quoting from conan_0822:

I had the same rpoblem early on into my exercise journey.

First I lowered the angle of the bench which helped immediately. Just recently I have been able to feel the burn in my chest like no other time before. I had attributed it to my muscles getting more evenly balanced, and I guess I was correct :)
=============

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/25, 08:58 PM
Lower the incline...use around 45degrees....most are a lil more than that at gym.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/26, 06:33 AM
It doesn't go any lower, and 45degrees would actually be higher than what it is now, therefore working the front delts more than at a lower angle.

============
Quoting from filthypl3b:

=============

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/06/26, 06:37 AM
Used the wrong quote above, but as stated, 45degrees would actually be higher than what it is now, therefore working the front delts more.

I am just going to have to settle with 40degrees and concentrate on my form more as both asimmer and mutt kindly advised.

============
Quoting from filthypl3b:

Yeah but as I stated I can't lower it anymore, the next "click" is for flat bench then decline.

=============

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.