Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Struggling

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 03:12 PM
here is my last shoulder workout - you will see I do both....I am workin on adding some size to my shoulders right now:

Heavy Shoulders
Warm-up 4 minutes treadmill, light bb presses

bb shoulder press 115X5, 135X4, 145X3
widegrip upright row (cable) 100X5, 110X4, 120X3
DB lateral raise 20X6, 25X5
seated bentover lateral raise 20X6, 25X5
bb shrug 155X5, 205X3
DB shrug 75X5, 80X5

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

corvetten20
corvetten20
United States
2007/05/24, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes, this has been an on going stuggle for me its not just because this is a new routine. I have tried Military Press first and it does help, but Im trying to follow the Mass Program to the tee. This is why I do both in the workout Mutt. Ill try doing Militaries first, then dumbbell. Also, does anyone suggest a good sub for lateral raises, or should i stick with them, with the routine. I think Im gonna try shoulder, and biceps and Back and triceps. My weights also go down on biceps when im done rowing and deadlifting. I think this would be a good sub, but will it effect gains I will see. Are these workouts preset purposely to fatigue the muscles more (ex. Biceps after Back Rowing which incorporates biceps first)? I always been told lift heavy or go home, so the weight diving down is kind of bumming me.
josmit
josmit
Canada
2007/05/23, 11:13 PM
maybe you could try doing the military press first next time. that way you will be able to see if its due to fatige.
also since you switched up your routine I think it would be normal to see some drop in weight, but i think that is kind of the point. you need to give your muscles something new, i think they're just not used to this routine yet.
corvetten20
corvetten20
United States
2007/05/23, 11:00 PM
Well I been working with my old routine and have started my new one which is the Mass Program on this site. I have seen increases everywhere but on the shoulder/tricep day. First, I start off with seated dumbbell presses, which thus far i have seen slow but progress gains, Im satisified here. However, the Military Press is giving me problems. im doing 65 lbs dumbbells on the presses, however I can only do 135x3 if im lucky on the military press. I cant figure out why im struggling so much here. Is it because im fatigued from the presses (3-5 minute rest between exercise). If so what can i do to improve here. Its really a bummer and it effects the rest of my workout. Also, im used to doing shoulders, biceps, abs. This mass training has shoulders, triceps and im noticing my close grip press is down quite a bit. Is this fatigue from the shoulders? If so, what can i do?
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/05/24, 01:06 PM
i do shoulders chest in the same day and bis tris on another, but when i did do shoulders on tricep days I found it is best to do the main shoulder lift first(military) your delts are such a small muscle they get fatigues quite easily, also remember your delt lift should be smaller if doing them right, if you notice a big jump you might have some bad form and including the chest more...just my 2 pennies...I would definitely do military then close grip
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/24, 01:03 PM
Just curious, why not both. I hate doing laterals I find them pretty pointless so as far as big shoulder movements there is military press and variations, dumbbell press and variations and then trap work depending if you do it with shoulders or with back.

What do you do for a shoulder routine?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 11:41 AM
I find I am stronger on dumbbell presses, too. I figure this is because it is a more natural range of motion, you aren't locked into the arc that you are with military presses.

As josmit said - try doing the military presses first and see if it makes a difference.

Also - are you doing the miltary preses in front or behind your head? Behind can be uncomfortable and puts your shoulders in a compromising position - more chance of injury.

I have also found it is more comfortable to do barbell presses standing than seated...better power and I think i can get my head out of the way better, if that makes any sense.

You may also want to pose this question in the powerlifting forum - some of the guys there may be able to give you a better answer than I have :)

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/05/24, 11:43 AM
I ask why do both? In the same workout. Do one or the other....

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/25, 10:33 AM
corvetten, always remember not every program is right for every person. You have to find what works for you and adjust accordingly.