Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Fit Pregnancy Questions

FitDreams
FitDreams
United States
2007/05/15, 08:33 AM
Hi all! I'm new here..but my pregnancy weight gain has gotten out of control and I could really use some advice. In the spring on 2006 I started a strict program and had went from right at 200 to 158 by august..this was the first time I've ever been that small and was loving it..by december by being slack and comfy in my relationship I'd gotten back to 172..I also got pregnant with my first child. I'm 21 and 5'8" and while I'm excited to be having a baby boy, at my last appointment a week or two ago I was shocked to find that I was right back up at 200 again...my midwife has been telling me from the begining that she wants me to eat healthy and try to maintain my weight or lose 5 or 10 lbs through the rest of pregnancy..Have any of you women had this problem? and if so how did you go about slowing the weight gain some? I'm due Sept 4th so I'd be very happy just to maintain the next 3 and a half months..my doctor really wants me to lose a couple of pounds..she's worried about me getting diabetes and such, but I'd still just be happy maintaining. Please guys any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Meg
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/05/15, 09:36 AM
Hi FitDreams and welcome to FT...and congrats on the pregnancy! I would have to agree with your Dr. at this point the best thing to do is to focus on eating healthy. Eat often and eat "clean". If you eat every 2-3 hours, it'll help you not get hungery and go for junk food. At every meal (including your snack type meal at say 10 and 3) make sure you eat some kind of lean protien, tons of veggies and maybe a piece of fruit. Stay away from juices (whole fruit is way better for you). Check out the list in the food and nutrition forum call Grocery List for Healthy Eating...you can't go wrong choosing foods from this list. (the list is thumbtacked near the top of the forum) Getting some exercise will also do you a world of good, just don't start doing something that is too much of a shock to your body...even regular walking or swimming would be great. Good Luck with the new baby:)

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2007/05/22, 09:41 AM
I am surprised that a midwife wants you to lose weight. My midwife just wanted me to be healthy. I was told not to be surprised that if you had recently lost a lot of weight that you gain it back quickly during your pregnancy. I gained over 70lbs during my pregnancy last year and I had no health issues with it...I was very healthy and felt great during the whole thing. I worked out regularily and idn't fret about eating more than usual. Do not restrict your calories during your pregnancy but eat healthy and stay active.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/22, 09:46 PM
I did not ever gain added weight during or after pregnancy, I did not wear maternity clothes until 7 months during all three pregnancies, I ate healthy for my baby and for the birth and it was worth it as I ended up with complications during each and was happy I had made the decision to not eat "for two" as many used to say. Some people gain more and some less, our bodies all work different and I carried my kids a lot different than my two girlfriends that were also pregnant at the same times as I was each time! I also exercised where they did no type of physical activity, I kept up much of my active routine, including golfing, walking, cardio, rollerskating (I wouldn't advise the skating!!!) etc. as long as I could and when it became hard to the end or things had to be put off by doctor's orders, I kept up the walking, so exercise is still very important to your body.

The mistake often is eating too much and too much garbage figuring you will just "lose it", especially if you listen to an older generation, there is a girl at work for example that eats everything in sight, literally, candy, chocolate (at LEAST three candy bars in 8 hours), muffins, she is always eating --even a box of 12 donuts during an hour!! I mean it is so hard to watch her as she has gained so much weight so fast, it is hard enough on our hearts to gain weight let alone during a time our bodies require our greatest strength, people give her a hard time but she says she doesn't care, it is the only time she can eat like she does and doesn't care if she gets "fat" as she puts it.....but to think about her keeping up to a newborns schedule in a few months worries me.

Your doctor should have some great ideas, I used to swim A LOT, too, that was great exercise without too much stress to my body!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill