Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Excuse my ignorance...

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/28, 06:07 AM
I have suffered lower back problems as a youngster as I had a slight curvature of the spine due to a growth spurt. Whilst it did correct itself later in life I have always been wary, and as a result have left deadlifts out of my routine.

I have decided that in doing so I am limiting my gains in strength, thus, I am looking to incorporate them.

Now I have always read that lifting with without bending your legs was a recipe for disaster. But with the straight leg deadlift (yes, i know you have a slight bend in your knees) it looks as though you lift purely with your back.

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Excuse my ignorance, but as I say, any form of deadlift has never made it into my routine.

Any advice, information that you could provide me with would really be appreciated.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/03/28, 07:37 AM
the stiff legged lift is not really a back exercise. IT definatly activates that region but you should feel it more in the hanstrings.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/28, 07:53 AM
Cheers Mutt, yeah I realise the applictaion for the excercise, I intend to use it today (leg day). Just that it appears fromw what I see, to possibly put strain/pressure on the lower back?

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/28, 08:47 AM
yes it is always possible but you have to study form of it...practice it with just a bar to start must keep the back very flat only slighty rounded when actually picking up the bar but in the motion the back should remain as a plank
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/03/28, 09:38 AM
please read the post in the faqs about deadlift form...

Here is what I tell my clients ( which include older women with back issues, and they deadlift with no problem.)

Start in Atheletic Stance : shoulders back, abs in but not so tight it hurts, knees slightly bent, back straight (neutral). Imagine a pole from the top of your head to your tailbone. This pole is not going to bend! while doing the movement.
PLace the bar/dbs in front of your thighs (we start from the top, not the floor). Hinging at the hips only, push your butt back and roll the weight down the front of your legs, sticking your butt out like a cat (cats always want you to look at their butt) until your feel a good stretch in hamstrings. Getting the weight low is not the goal here - just go as far as you can while maintaining that straight back, range of motion will incrase as you get more familiar with the movement. Now, you should be bent from the hip joint, knees slightly bent, weights somewhere below your knees, pushing into your heels, straighten at the hip joint to come back up, coming back only to neutral, not squeezing your hips forward (which will tweak your lowback) and not shrugging the weight.

I hope that helps.
If you still have trouble, ask a trainer at the gym for help - one tip shouldn't cost you!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/28, 10:00 AM
Appreciated as this is a manoeuvre that I should have learnt long ago, just worried about injury.

I'll try and perfect my form through the information you guys have provided and from the faqs.

And as you said, if I have trouble, I can always ask a trainer.

Thankyou.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/03/28, 12:57 PM
As someone who is currently suffering from acute lower back pain...I say deadlifts will probably do you more good than harm(assuming you're not currently injured)...as long as you do them properly!! Believe me, if your back is weak/injured, you'll know that now is not the time for deadlifts, give it time to heal and then slowly work your way back (it's what I plan to do) Anything you do to strengthen your back and core will be benificial in the long term....If you feel pain in your lower back while doing DL's, stop!!!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce