Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Losing bulk

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/08, 09:04 PM
For starters, I’m posting this in a bodybuilding forum because I’m sure you guys know all about muscle growth, loss etc. Anyways, I’ve recently noticed that my legs are really bulk...almost disproportioned to my upper body. I’m wondering if there’s any healthy way of shedding a bit of that weight from my legs. This isn’t a fat issue (my legs are rock solid), but I’d just like to thin myself out there a bit while keeping the density. I’m not talking about any crazy amount, but can catabolism even happen without being unhealthy?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/08, 09:39 PM
Treadmill and run your ass off, HITT sprints will do it the best.

Think about it if youR using your legs heavy in a cardio the legs will take the toll of the muscle loss.

This is eactly what happened to me when I was doing alot of hard cardio with running on the treadmill and once I tappered off it my legs started to grow again or at least regain the muscle memory I had lost for a year from kick ass treadmill!
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/09, 09:09 AM
whoops...I meant "bulky"

Am I going to need a calorie deficit though?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/09, 12:50 PM
Catabolism happens on a daily basis. It is your ratio of anabolism to catabolism that will determine the amount of muscle you keep.

As I mentioned in your other post, I would not purposely try to lose muscle. This goes against the grain so to speak. Work on the rest of your body, the body is smart, and though we all have 'better' areas than others, the body will for the most part even itself out.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/09, 02:46 PM
You go catabolic, you get weak. Simple as that. There is no way to go catabolic and keep strength. In fact, you will probably get weak long before you even start to lose any muscle, and you will not be able to keep your upper body muscle while losing lower body muscle.

I only mention this because I know you seem so concerned with "relative strength".

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/09, 07:43 PM
Yeah I figured as much...well that sucks.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/09, 08:05 PM
It does. Imagine it, those athletes you think strongest end up getting the weakest from cutting... Wrestlers, rock climbers, lightweight powerlifters...

I'm cutting to the 148's in another 2 weeks and hope to open with what were old PR's. This is what usually causes so many lightweight lifters to bomb out.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/11/09, 09:23 PM
If your legs are as rock solid as you say they are....does it not merely mean that you upper body is lacking? in which case why not put more emphasis on upper body work to even out strength/size imbalances.....

are you doing this with a specific goal like a sport contest with weigh in or some other issue?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/10, 10:44 AM
Yep, the naturally leaner you are, the more muscle you tend to lose as compared to someone who is not.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/10, 11:06 PM
No weigh in, it's just since I'm working out more regularily now, I'm worried about putting on even more(despite all precautions) and since there's apparently no going back once you've got it well...I'm working on upper body strength, but I don't want to put on too much mass there either if you're talking about balencing the size out or something. Admittedly a little more mass wouldn't hurt there, but let's not go crazy here.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/10, 11:07 PM
This isn't a huge problem either, I'm probably just overthinking it, cause I'm just paranoid that way and all.
2006/11/11, 04:12 AM
Body generally seeks to correct imbalances if given the chance....so if your upper body is significantly smaller or weaker than lower body...then if you try to make gains there they will come easier and faster than elsewhere in the body...

my suggestion is to try shake up exercises for upper body a bit...maybe up the intensity or volume...add exercises...etc....keep making your upper body workouts more intense....also try to keep them balanced in terms of pushing/pulling...sometimes you will plateau in pressing movements if your pulling movements are significantly weaker....and may predispose you for injuries...
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/15, 09:04 AM
HIIT and heavy cardio will build leg muscle and increase your leg size if you don't have a high body fat ratio. I agree with the other posts of building your upper body to lower your leg size ratio/appearance.
good luck.

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

Treadmill and run your ass off, HITT sprints will do it the best.

Think about it if youR using your legs heavy in a cardio the legs will take the toll of the muscle loss.

This is eactly what happened to me when I was doing alot of hard cardio with running on the treadmill and once I tappered off it my legs started to grow again or at least regain the muscle memory I had lost for a year from kick ass treadmill!
=============
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/15, 09:06 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/15, 06:37 PM
Well, since my legs are already kind of big, shouldn't that mean that my body will naturally limit more growth in that area?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/15, 11:27 PM
You don't compete in any strength sports, so then why? What you are doing with your body is not healthy.

At that height and weight, you do not have the leverages to achieve your best relative strength numbers. While you may see it as impressive (I come from the same background as you) you are limiting your strength in many ways.

You've never posted your lifts, or much more about yourself. If I had to guess, I would say you are probably a beginner in terms of lifting, and that you may have initially put on some initial mass, and this made you think that it would come easily all the time.

While some initial mass gain is natural, this doesn't mean it is going to keep coming. Lift, lift heavy, eat more, and you will get stronger. I know this, I am a lightweight powerlifter, olympic lifter, and strongman competitor. The best light weight lifters always eat without worrying about weightclasses.

Try not to take offense to this, maybe I am just touchy because I am dieting (to make weight for nationals), but I think you are overreacting, and for all the wrong reasons.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2006/11/19, 04:02 PM
I'm havn't even been trying to lose any muscle anyway, you guys told me induced catabolism was bad so I believed you. My only concern was the "no going back" issue, I asked if after initial gains in mass when lifting would discontinue and you answered my question so I'm at ease. I think you're getting the impression that I'm not eating and obsessing over this, which I'm really not.