Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Nutritionist's View On Muscle Milk

dart368
dart368
United States
2006/10/17, 08:11 AM
So I went to see a nutritionist and told her my usual diet. I mentioned that I want to decrease my fat and build lean muscle. She did some measurements and found that I am at 22.9% fat. That really shocked me as I really thought I would be under 20% and it sort of bummed me out.

But anyway, I told her that I take Cytosport Muscle Milk either for a afternoon snack after a work out or at night as my last snack of the evenening around 9pm.

I told her the label stats and she said it was a lot of calories and fat so she said stick with it but only use 1 scoop instead of the regular 2 scoops. This cuts it from 350 calories to 175 and 18 grams of fat to 9.

She also put me on a pro soy nutlettes that I am supposed to mix with my Raisin Bran cereal in the morning. I have to admit that since I saw her a half a week ago, I have lost 4 pounds doing the same exercise routine that I was doing before. Just FYI. :)
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/17, 10:51 AM
That Muscle Milk sounds like you where taking way too much for weight loss, this is why I have and will stick with Whey, I can take 1.5 Scoops in Water and only have it at 180 calories. My intake is only 2280 tops right now and Muscle Milk would starve me from foods if I took it like you did!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/17, 12:17 PM
Losing weight is all about calorie reductions. While muscle milk or any other decent supplement may be a good one, if it or any 'healthy' food makes you go above your needed calorie intake, you will not change your body composition.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/10/18, 08:10 AM
The weight isn't the most important thing to me though, it's losing the fat and gaining or keeping the muscle.

She asked me if I had a magic wand and could be at the weight I desired, what would it be? Being 5'5" and about 183 pounds, I answered with "Well, if it was 230 pounds of solid muscle it would be fine with me. Or, if I was 170 pounds of solid muscle or in either weight at 6% body fat, I would be happy too."

I was suprised that she has me eating the soy nutlettes and not a whey supplement. But as she said, "Trust me, I have been doing this a long time and have worked with body builders." I will keep you guys updated.

I am also quite happy with mixing the 1 scoop of Muscle Milk with 8-10 ounces of water. It still tastes good and is filling and I still use it as one of my snacks during the afternoon or in the evening. I guess sometimes more isn't better. :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/18, 09:02 AM
What kind of bodyfat measuremnets did she take? Did she do caluipers or just atpe measure? Or did you hold a bioelectrical impedence tool? Unless she used calipers (and is good at it) your reading is most likely off. many bodybuilders get readings of morbidly obese levels of bodyfat from BMI or nioelectrical impedence because one doesn't discern between muscle weight and fat weight and the other doesn't travel as well through dens muscle tissue. There are so many factors that influence bioelectrical impedence that it would be amazing if you ever got a true bodyfat reading.

I have lost a lot of weight and use muscle milk sometimes twice a day - the fats in it are more likely to be used as energy than stored. This might depend a bit on your metabolism, but I have found that a high amount of good fat in my diet increases my fat loss.

I think soy is crap, especially for men, but that is your decision. IMO nutritionists tow the party line (FDA and Gov't guidelines) and don't know a lot about people who work out or want muscle.

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/18, 09:03 AM
Oh, sorry, I just read "trust me I have been doing this a long time and have worked with bodybuilders" Hmm, I honestly don't know any bodybuilders who eat soy.

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/18, 09:06 AM
Just my opinion...but in my experiance ANYTIME someone has said "trust me"...to start off a sentence...it's a bad sign.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/10/18, 11:21 AM
I would never recomend soy unless allergies come in to the question.

--------------
You are what you eat. So stay away from the jerk chicken.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/18, 11:38 AM
I understand that, it is what most all of us want. Again, you have to be hypocaloric, that is under maintenance to lose fat. Keep your protein up, keep the muscle being 'used', and you will save muscle. MM may help you pre workout, as the fats are MCT's, and act a lot like carbs for a fuel source. But I would not use them any other time.

Upping your fats is a good thing as you lower your carbs. Keep protein intake up of course. As you lower carbs, fule source has to come from somewhere. Fats in the form of fish oil, etc. are what you are after. This is the way it works...take in more carbs, burn more glucose. Take in more fats, burn more fats.

Soy to me is a complete no-no. Not the health food it is purported to be in any way...nothing but a money maker.

============
Quoting from dart368:

The weight isn't the most important thing to me though, it's losing the fat and gaining or keeping the muscle.

She asked me if I had a magic wand and could be at the weight I desired, what would it be? Being 5'5" and about 183 pounds, I answered with "Well, if it was 230 pounds of solid muscle it would be fine with me. Or, if I was 170 pounds of solid muscle or in either weight at 6% body fat, I would be happy too."

I was suprised that she has me eating the soy nutlettes and not a whey supplement. But as she said, "Trust me, I have been doing this a long time and have worked with body builders." I will keep you guys updated.

I am also quite happy with mixing the 1 scoop of Muscle Milk with 8-10 ounces of water. It still tastes good and is filling and I still use it as one of my snacks during the afternoon or in the evening. I guess sometimes more isn't better. :)
=============

--------------
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/18, 11:51 AM
Most nutritionists are not up on what it takes to gain lean muscle or the protein needed to do so.

--------------
A journey begins with a single step.

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/18, 03:49 PM
I was told Soy is an imposter of the Good Protiens!

I'll second the lower the Carbs raise the Fats while maintaining High Protien intake.

I would never tell someone to go to low in carbs, we need them and hell I like them (unless your in Competition, then I'll shut up LOL!) but I think you need to find the level of intake your body can handle in carbs!

I'm carb sensitive and I'm best at taking in around 40% to 45% of my daily in carbs and some times lower. FDA says 60% or 65% but that puts me real high in Fat% and even 50% keeps me a tad high!

All I'm saying is what works best for me was learning my own body through trial and error until I found the marcos that suites me best!

If not for FT and it's mods I'd be a pissed of skinny FAT guy fustrated, starving, nutritionist listening too fool stuck on a dead end road! It took me until the age of 37 to learn myself and I didn't get it right or at least on the right track until FT!

I have learned in life of the body that it comes down for me too SHOW me Your Walk and not just talk out the side of your neck! Best results are proven results that last day in and day out not get for a week or 2.

It amazes me how many fat people work at me gyms, fat personal trainer too. What goes through these peoples minds that sign-up on a fitness plan with a fatassed trainer is beyond me!
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/10/19, 12:29 AM
She used calipers and measured from my wrist to my elbow and my shoulder as well.

I go back to her tomorrow and she is supposed to go over my calories, carbs, protien, fats intake that is optimal for me. Or so we will see.

For the past week, I have gone from 185 pounds to 182 and have stayed at 182 for the past 3-4 days. I haven't ran in 4 weeks now since I broke my toe and have not lifted weights. I just have been doing push ups wearing a 25 pound weighted vest, other body weight exercises for my triceps, biceps and shoulders, some leg work and pyramid workouts with pull ups, push ups, and abdominals.

I will let you know what she says tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice and input. I really appreciate it.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

What kind of bodyfat measuremnets did she take? Did she do caluipers or just atpe measure? Or did you hold a bioelectrical impedence tool? Unless she used calipers (and is good at it) your reading is most likely off. many bodybuilders get readings of morbidly obese levels of bodyfat from BMI or nioelectrical impedence because one doesn't discern between muscle weight and fat weight and the other doesn't travel as well through dens muscle tissue. There are so many factors that influence bioelectrical impedence that it would be amazing if you ever got a true bodyfat reading.

I have lost a lot of weight and use muscle milk sometimes twice a day - the fats in it are more likely to be used as energy than stored. This might depend a bit on your metabolism, but I have found that a high amount of good fat in my diet increases my fat loss.

I think soy is crap, especially for men, but that is your decision. IMO nutritionists tow the party line (FDA and Gov't guidelines) and don't know a lot about people who work out or want muscle.

=============
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/19, 01:09 AM
WTF!!!! Hum it's nice that your getting results but I don't know bro!

============
Quoting from dart368:

She used calipers and measured from my wrist to my elbow and my shoulder as well.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/19, 08:24 AM
Could be any number of things, water, muscle tissue, fat, hard to say, but 2 pounds is a nice number to lose in a week.

I bet she says 55-60%carbs / 15-20%protein/and 25-30% or less fat... and pulls out the food pyramid. Which is better than it used to be, but still not optimal for building a great physique.

Good luck!

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/10/21, 08:14 AM
Well, I got a flat tire and didn't make the appointment so I will have to wait until November 9th since I am out of town for two weeks for training.

But I continue to lose weight, even though I am still not running and still lifting. About two weeks ago, I was 186 and now I am down to 181.

Of course, I am not lifting as much but am doing a lot of push ups and pull ups. But now, we got our gym back at work so the lunch workouts will begin again with the weight training.

I am wondering if maybe the cardio was "Keeping me fat" as per the article I read here at FT. I am going to begin running though next week, mostly sprints and not the 5-6 miles I was doing before and the training class is going to be ALL physical.

I will keep everyone appraised and thanks for all of the input so far.

PS. I am still taking the half dose of Muscle Milk at least once a day...sometimes twice...DAMN it tastes so good!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/21, 11:33 AM
No, more than likely look to diet. If anything, cardio is simply adding to your energy deficit.

--------------
ifrit1710
ifrit1710
United States
2006/10/27, 03:04 AM
Dart,

Do you feel like the 1 scoop with the 8-10 ounces tastes as good as the premixed muscle milk? And have you tried it with skim? If so which tastes better. And do you blend it or stir it?

Sorry im asking so much my friend gave me his left over of this when i tired the premixed version of it. And ive never had protein supplements before. Im just trying to make it taste as good cause when i tired to make it the other day it was very grainy.
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/10/29, 01:56 AM
Yes I do. But I usually use cold water and find it to taste just as good as with milk. But my buddy swears that milk makes it taste much better. I guess it is personal preference.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2006/10/30, 11:49 AM
Has anyone tried or seen the new "Natural" muscle milk? is that any different/better ? also i take No-xplode before my workout and only 1 scoop of protein after since my diet is high in protein is that fine?

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/07, 08:06 AM
Johnny, check out the posting here about all three. I know I saw some info but can't rememebr it exactly. I am sure you are fine on the protien. :)
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/09, 11:35 PM
Okay, so here's what she came up with as to what my intake should be. Keep in mind that I am 43 years old, male and 5'5" and 183 pounds. She put me at 22.7% body fat using calipers, down .2% from last month and .2% gain in lean muscle mass since last month too. I lift weights 5 days a week doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps one body part a week and run 3-5 miles 3 days a week with two of those days doing HIIT. Let me know what you think and I hope it is understandable. Thanks.

GOALS: 1800-2000 Calories

50-60 GM FAT;
150-200 CARB;
25 GM FIBER;
175 GM PROTEIN

MENU OUTLINE SAMPLE MENU

BREAKFAST At 5am:

2 Protien-1/3 CUP SOY NUTLETTES CEREAL
2 Carbs-1 CUP RAISIN BRAN
SOY MILK AS NEEDED

(BASICALLY, 1 CUP OF RAISIN BRAN AND 1/3 CUP OF SOY NUTLETTES WITH 1/2 CUP OF NONFAT MILK)

SNACK At 8am

2 Protien/2 Carbs-ZONE BAR

(BASICALLY, ONE ZONE PERFECT PEANUT BUTTER/CHOCOLATE PROTIEN BAR)

LUNCH At 11am

4 Protien-CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD
1 Carb-1 CUP LIGHT LOWFAT YOGURT
2 VEGETABLES-2+ CUPS SALAD
1 PKT LITE DRESSING

(BASICALLY, A CHICKEN CEASAR SALAD WITH LOW FAT DRESSING AND A SMALL LOW FAT YOPLAI PEACH YOGURT)

SNACK AT 2PM

2 Protien/1/2 Carbs-1 SCOOP MUSCLE MILK IN WATER

(BASICALLY, ONE SCOOP OF MUSCLE MILK IN WATER)

DINNER AT 5PM

6 Proteins-6 OZ (COOKED WT) CHICKEN BREAST
2 Carbs-2/3 CUP BROWN RICE
Vegetables-2 1 cup of broccoli
2 TSP ADDED FAT

(BASICALLY, A CHICKEN/TURKEY BREAST/PATTY WITH VEGETABLES AND RICE TYPE MEAL)

SNACK AT 8PM

1 Scoop of Muscle Milk in water or another Zone Bar.

MISC: sugar-free gelatin & popsicles (10-15 cal ea), pepper, spices & herbs, coffee, tea, Crystal Light or equal, sugar substitutes as desired.

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/10, 10:58 AM
At 183 with the energy expenditure you exert, with this diet it will be difficult not to lose some fat mass. This is a decent diet, but again something you did not have to go to a nutritionist to figure out. I would sure sub whole foods for the muscle milk, much better. And the soy.....well I posted how I feel about that crap.

--------------
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/11, 07:09 PM
The only thing I am concerned about is losing lean muscle mass.

Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/11, 09:26 PM
When you start to lose strength in the gym on a consistent basis, probably time to turn the calories back up a bit.

Not just one workout, workouts vary too much. But when it becomes a 'struggle' each time to do your normal weights, you are probably at a stage where lean tissue is going to be lost if not already happening.

--------------
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/13, 11:28 PM
The other thing I was told was that I was getting WAY enough protien and didn't need any additional protein like WHEY protien. I was under the impression that it wouldn't hurt to use whey but she said it would be a waste of money since I was eating a lot of chicken and getting it from the muscle milk. I dunno, I am a little confused and/or maybe I am just thinking too much about it. :surprised:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/14, 01:44 AM
She is right on there...no need for added whey. If you are eating plenty of whole food protein(which is ideal), why bother with whey? It is normally too fast absorbing anyway. Casein/MPI is a much better option during the day if you are going to supplement.

--------------