Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Sticky Children and weightlifting

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/08/15, 01:34 PM
Strength Training

How old should my child be before he/she starts lifting weights?

Children can safely participate in weight training (resistance training with weights)
as early as seven or eight. This is the age where most kids have developed the
balance and coordination to train safely.

Will children get stronger if they lift weights before puberty?

Yes. Even though you may not notice an increase in muscle size before puberty, studies have shown that children can achieve 30 to 40 percent gains in strength from weight training. They do not have the pubertal hormones circulating before puberty, so the gains in strength occur from improvements in neuromuscular recruitment and muscle memory. Tasks usually get easier to perform if they are repeated. In other words, the muscles get smarter, not necessarily larger.

Can they injure their growth plates with weightlifting?

Only if certain rules are not followed. Because the growth plates at the ends of the long bones are made of growing cartilage, they are not as strong as bone. The growth plates are susceptible to compressive forces and shear forces that may occur during very heavy lifts or “maxing out.” Therefore, it is recommended that while the child is still growing (usually ages 16 to 17 in girls and 17 to 18 in boys), they should avoid single rep maximum lifts.

How often should they lift?

They should lift 2 to 3 times per week, not on consecutive days. Workouts should consist of 2 to 3 sets of exercise focusing on the large muscle groups. Each set should contain 10 to 15 repetitions. When the child can perform 3 sets of 15 reps with relative ease, they can increase the weight 5 to 10 percent.
They should incorporate 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic or endurance training into the workout and on off days.
Remember to stretch between sets.

Is it safe for girls to lift weights? If so, will they develop large muscles?

It is safe for boys and girls to train with weights. Before puberty, the strength gains in boys and girls are equal, but after puberty, the gains seen in boys are greater due to the higher levels of circulating testosterone.
Because of the lower levels of testosterone, girls will not develop the muscle enlargement or hypertrophy seen in boys.

Is powerlifting or Olympic style lifting safe?

Because these types of lifting involve lifting maximum amounts of weight, powerlifting and Olympic style lifting are not recommended until the growth plates close at the end of pubertal development.

Additional weightlifting tips:
Never lift alone.
Keep a workout log to monitor progress. Don’t compete with your partner.
Include a 10 to 15 minute warm-up and cool-down.
Stretch, stretch, stretch.
No gum chewing.
Wear non-slip soled shoes.
No jewelry.
Exhale during reps. Do not hold your breath and NEVER hyperventilate
before a lift.
Stay hydrated before, during and after workouts.
Proper form is more important than the amount of weight lifted.
Remember that strength training should be one part of a general fitness program. Lifting weights alone will not make you a better athlete. Proper nutrition, hydration, rest, practice and technique are just as important for performance enhancement as building strength.

*Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
ksmith2474
ksmith2474
United States
2005/08/15, 04:19 PM
thanks rev...my 9 year old daughter has been begging to work out with me and i keep telling her she is too young...

you just helped me emilinate some of the whining i get from her...

thanks again, this is good information to have
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2005/08/16, 01:12 AM
wow, this was a really sweet article. I will have to show my daughters, the little one will love it as she always wants to work out with me.

Thanks Michael! :big_smile:

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/08/16, 03:08 PM
when you think about it, it all makes sense. weightlifting is just like any other sport, in that it develops muscular potential, yet is much more specific in its methods. its going to exact the same effects as playing baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey, etc. but just be more focused on developing particular areas of our bodies.
2005/09/10, 03:27 AM
Great article rev thanks a lot maybe some of the people who think we are screwing ourselves in the gym will look at this differently now!!
Zenkei18
Zenkei18
United States
2005/11/13, 11:19 PM
surely you mean 15 and not 5 right...
cozbo
cozbo
United Kingdom
2005/11/04, 08:31 PM
well, i have to say that is a great article, but my brother is 5 and he is already nto fitness a hell of alot, getting close to what i am, obviously my fault ive encouraged it subconciously, but he is strobg because i can do 10 pressups with ease and he lifts my 5kg weights and does bout 20 reps. but i still think he is too young and im sure you will agree i am right arnt i. but i dont want to discourage him from it too much other wise when he is ol enough he may not want to, any i was going through the exercises he can do, he best excerise is his sit ups, he can do 10 times what i could do at his age, and i could only do 5, so you do the math, and thats without a break
MiSSASH20
MiSSASH20
United States
2006/06/17, 07:08 PM
woah...5?...
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/10, 04:56 PM
what about using resistance bands if your not to keen on giving your kid weights?
george
george
Canada
2012/01/13, 04:51 PM
Resistance bands are an excellent choice as well.. however both are based on "resistance training". You can setup your free resitance bands workout through us, just go to Exercise > Find Workouts and you're set.