Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Cardio...good or bad?

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
R_Mitty
R_Mitty
Canada
2004/01/06, 06:00 PM
Guess i have been going about this wrong for the last little while. Over the last month or so i've been trying to lower my bf with less weights, more cardio. I still lift as much as before but tend to focus my energy on the cardio. Maybe i should just stick with weights.
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/07, 07:35 PM
I bet you look great. I am 5'3 and 112lbs. My only complaint is that layer of fat around the belly. It is easy for me to tone everything else.

What size do you where.

============
Quoting from christine76:

My week includes:
3 cycling classes (40 minutes)
2 weight training classes(1 hour targeting everything)
2 step aerobics classes(1 hour)
2-3 days of 20-30 minutes on the elliptical

I am gaining weight and my clothes are getting tight. How frustrating is that? What should I do? I am 5'2" and 115lbs and I eat really well.
=============

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/07, 07:41 PM
I feel that an obese person will see immediate changes just by changing their diets, but eventually will hit a plateau. Then you have to rev things up a bit. I am confused about the whole concept of how and when to do cardio. I feel that you should do what works. However, most people don't stick with a plan long enough to find out. These people have the most questions.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

I know that when i lost the first 60 lbs back in 94(I have since gained it back AARRGGHH), it was thru a massive change in my diet first. I was is college and of course like most there ate at those nice cafes, and take out places on campus. I had been eating a diet of fries and burgers etc. I was eating dinner one night witha friend and got sick. Yup puked my guts out. I never get sick like that never. This happend twice more. I then dropped the meal plan so I had to buy all my food. I started to eat rice, beans, tuna. I also bought over the Christmas break a pair of 30 lb dumbbells. All I did was situps, pushups and curls, tri. and shoulders with the dumbbells. From Jan-Aug of 94 that was what I did. I did walk everywhere which was all the cardio I did. It was not till the fall that I started to run, I met a friend that ran and lifted. So after all that I feel that it was diet and weights that helped me loose that weight. Now I am trying the same but also throwing in a little cardio as well. But still feel that diet and weights are the main key to it all.

=============

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/07, 07:58 PM
I am glad that you got to this point. I was about to write something similar. It is all about the calorie. How many and what type. It is still a hard concept to truely understand. I have been trying to figure out how many calories I need to expend to keep my current weight and shed fat and gain muscle. ( I am aware that my weight might go up a little bit). I have found that eating more often gives me more energy. Otherwise, I would be sleeping right.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Firehawk..with your bodyweight being where it is, I would not do any mass program. I would opt for a hardening type program. This will consist of moderate weights, higher reps, lean diet, and CARDIO. See, my point with the cardio post was just to get people who are doing JUST cardio to incorporate resistance training and diet to meet their goals, that cardio in itself would not do what they want..i.e...burn fat. But in conjunction with the other 2, it can be a useful tool. Remember simple math, more calories expended tban taken in, you will lose weight. More calories taken in than expended, and you will gain weight. If you incorporate cardio, say even 15min. after weight training, that is say just throwing a number out there, 150 calories expended. Okay, now your diet has been decreased by say 150 calories also. That is a net of 300 calories, in a week of 5 days this is 1500 calories minus. You have to lose weight! Add in your resistance training, with toning your muscles and maybe even building some, and you are burning even more. 2000 calories may or may not be sufficient for your diet, it is as much the type of calories as the amount. Hope this helps some. Kind of long, but hope it makes sense.

=============

--------------

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2004/03/20, 04:14 PM
hmmm long read. Well from what I can make out, Cardio burns calories ultimately helping in a caloric deficit.

Well if for example someone was taking in 2000cal a day to maintain the body. If Cardio was to be put in there and burn 200cal isnt that a caloric deficit of 200? Which should result in fat burn right? Alternatively this someone can just eat 200cals less, however this still proves that Cardio alone can reduce fat.

I also agree with resistance training being used to sculpt the body, however if a overweight person simply want to loose fat or weight without having to look ripped/cut, then again cardio alone without the weights would be useful.

I might have misunderstood what Ive been reading so plz correct me if im wrong.
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2004/03/20, 07:23 PM
The best way that I understand it, and please, someone correct me if I am out of the loop or just talking nonsense...

Your body adapts to change. Muscle is expensive in terms of calories and energy. Therefore, if your body is not using your muscle, you are going to lose it. Therefore, doing only cardio and eating a caloric deficit may cause your body to begin burning off the muscle, since muscle is much harder to maintain and fat is much easier. Is this a piss poor way to look at it?

So therefore hellscream, to try getting ripped/cut without continuing to lift weights would be a no no because your body would probably start burning muscle along with some fat since the muscle would no longer be required since it isnt being used.
assante74
assante74
United States
2004/03/21, 10:40 AM
I have been spinning four times a week for an hour each time and the only thing that cardio has done for me is given me the ability to push through those sticking points. It helps with the flow of oxygen to those muscles when needed.
As far as losing weight cardio helps a little bit, but not much. If you want to lose weight then diet is the key.
cl909
cl909
United States
2004/03/22, 12:49 AM
i think the most important thing to realize is that it depends on the person. To say that cardio is not useful is being misinformed. I know people that have implemented cardio and weights and have sen amazing strides physically. I've seen alot of people on this website who "claim" they know everything but just only know it from person experience. What may work for one person may not work for another. I think it's nice to know that BB1Fit is doing well for himself, but he hardly knows what's good for everyone.
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2004/03/22, 01:09 AM

============
Quoting from cl909:

i think the most important thing to realize is that it depends on the person. To say that cardio is not useful is being misinformed. I know people that have implemented cardio and weights and have sen amazing strides physically. I've seen alot of people on this website who "claim" they know everything but just only know it from person experience. What may work for one person may not work for another. I think it's nice to know that BB1Fit is doing well for himself, but he hardly knows what's good for everyone.
=============

Well, this is why I dont think its important to read too far into science. Science is good to show the history of how we have achieved things, and what NOT to do as per experience, but otherwise, no 2 humans are the same. To give a theoretical statement on how a certain individual should work out is just really a guideline at best.

I dont think anyone, including BB1, can tell any certain person what is best for that person, but BB1 is very knowledgeable and can certainly offer some of the best advice considering his credentials and his life long dedication to the art of bodybuilding.

Truthfully, all anyone can be certain about is what they themselves have experienced. You can read all the scientific data you want, but science is 10 steps behind what is going on in gyms today.

Just my 2 cents on it.
napoatusa
napoatusa
United States
2005/12/20, 10:31 AM
So.... I know now when to do cardio etc... though one little concern...

I lift M, W, F (whole body workout except Abs)

I do cardio T, Th, S + Abs
I know that u should first lift then cardio... though in my case i dont lift at all on my Cardio day.... I just lots of various abs.... should i first do my hour (20-30min hiit, 15 min bike, 15 min ecliptical trainer)of cardio and then abs or first abs?

thanks so much

Adi

--------------
* Life is full of Choices.... make Good Ones and learn from the Bad Ones *
temort
temort
Albania
2006/01/03, 12:50 AM
Im wondering which set up is better?

3 day split, resistance 3 days (m, w, f), 3 days cardio (t, th, sat)

or

4 days resistance (m, tu, th, fri), 2 days cardio (w, sat)?

I think both are important in a workout. I think that resistance with at least some cardio is more effective and healthy than pure resistance. Also, a lot of times like a good session of cardio as a change up from weights.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/03, 12:13 PM
I think either one will be good for you. Cardio for cardiovascular fitness is a must.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/03, 02:11 PM
A little history of fat loss techniques...

Fat loss has never been studied thoroughly. You think cardio got popular becuase it was the most effective method of fat loss? Think again.
When the "gurus" were planning how to make people skinny again, the first thing they did, was look at the people with consistently low body fat %s: Marathon runners. Now these people run for hours, and have a low bodyfat. However, low bodyfat was never a goal for these runners. It was a side effect.
People didn't realize this, but figured if marathon runners could get so skinny by running (again, not a goal. Oftentimes it is people with low bodyfat that are predisposed to becoming runners), then doing a little less of it would help.
They were right, to a degree. Cardio was popularized, and all of a sudden it became everyones preferred method of fat loss. Why? Because of basic logic, and poor logic at that.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2006/10/17, 08:58 PM
i agree with ur post that cardio isnt the best way of burning fat..people tend to think this way just because it is "cardio"..cardio just creates a calorie deficit which all diets need to lose fat..however i do feel that diet, weight training, and cardio combined are for best reults.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/17, 10:00 PM
I like the 4 day weights better by far!

I did the 3 day for months and the cardio seemed to hold me back and once I let resistance become my 1st priority (main focal point) and set cardio to secondary I started to get my best all around results, fat loss and muscle gain and definition!

I hit the weights Mon,Tues,Thurs,and Fri and in them days I'll do cardio after but not every day and on Wed I hit cardio real good! Lifting seccions last me 30 minutes then I do abs or core then cardio!

============
Quoting from temort:

Im wondering which set up is better?

3 day split, resistance 3 days (m, w, f), 3 days cardio (t, th, sat)

or

4 days resistance (m, tu, th, fri), 2 days cardio (w, sat)?

I think both are important in a workout. I think that resistance with at least some cardio is more effective and healthy than pure resistance. Also, a lot of times like a good session of cardio as a change up from weights.
=============
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages