Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

military workout

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/18, 01:36 PM
i was just watching austin powers on vh1 and they were being lowered into a tank of ill-tempered sea bass. that's what you get when you can't get sharks with laser beams attached to their foreheads.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
2005/01/18, 04:31 PM
all I gotta say is ....LOL....you guys are killing me with your puffin discussion:big_smile:
froshman
froshman
United States
2005/01/21, 07:57 PM
Yipes!
I posted this topic about a month ago, and at first got no response so I stopped looking.
Imagine my suprise when I happened to see that I got 66 responses, more than any other post Ive ever posted. I felt so popular.
Then imagine my suprise when the posts were bickering about the efficiency of the military, an apparent multiple personality and a puffy bird.
Anyway, thanks for the pertinent responses. My question has more or less been answered. And now I know about the puffy bird. Sheesh.:surprised:
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2005/01/21, 09:59 PM
LMFAO

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.

Cari
PureSnowChic@aol.com
Southern California
2005/01/22, 04:56 AM
lol frosh.....

rofllmao....i got more letters....i win
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/01/22, 12:59 PM
wow this took off!........but it didn't beat my.... "i'm not a pantywaist" thread lol

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
shurtstealer
shurtstealer
United States
2006/01/25, 05:13 AM
ok so back to the original question the military workout can anyone give me a daily/bi-dialy workout to get ready for the military im joining the army and i would like to be able to get through bootcamp with little or no problems.

--------------
im fragile please dont hit me
2006/01/25, 05:29 AM
what are the requirements?
how many push ups/pull ups/sit ups, etc can you do in the required testing time?
how much time do you have until the testing/bootcamp?
shurtstealer
shurtstealer
United States
2006/01/25, 04:04 PM
ok the requirments and ...push ups 45/60sec..sit ups 60/60seconds..2 mile run/15:56

i would like to get to 50-55 push ups/60sec..and on the sit ups i would like to get to 65+/60sec..and the 2 mile run i would like to get to 15:30

this is where im at right now push ups 33/30sec..get fatigued and slow down alot, sit ups im at 54/60sec..and i can run a mile in 7:15 but i do not believe i can run another mile right after in 8-8.5 min

i have nearly 4-4.5 months till boot camp any routine suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Someone gave me this suggestion ...Run 2 miles 3 times a week,rotate doing push ups (undeclared ammount/reps) and sit ups(also undeclared) every other day..try to do sit ups oppisite days of running.Any added on suggestions onto this or a whole other routine would be great

--------------
shurtstealer
shurtstealer
United States
2006/01/25, 04:05 PM
ok the requirments and ...push ups 45/60sec..sit ups 60/60seconds..2 mile run/15:56

i would like to get to 50-55 push ups/60sec..and on the sit ups i would like to get to 65+/60sec..and the 2 mile run i would like to get to 15:30

this is where im at right now push ups 33/30sec..get fatigued and slow down alot, sit ups im at 54/60sec..and i can run a mile in 7:15 but i do not believe i can run another mile right after in 8-8.5 min

i have nearly 4-4.5 months till boot camp any routine suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Someone gave me this suggestion ...Run 2 miles 3 times a week,rotate doing push ups (undeclared ammount/reps) and sit ups(also undeclared) every other day..try to do sit ups oppisite days of running.Any added on suggestions onto this or a whole other routine would be great

--------------
shurtstealer
shurtstealer
United States
2006/01/25, 07:04 PM
didnt realize i double posted that lol

--------------
2006/01/25, 07:16 PM
Push Ups:
do 5 sets of 10reps, rest 1 minute in between each set....once you can do all 50 push ups(if you cannot do it, then do 10 sets of 5 reps, with 30-45 sec rest), start cutting rest by 10 seconds every week...

Do those 2 exercises 3 times a week, you can have them on different days, M, Thu, Sat and Tue, Fri, Sun
Sit Ups:
do 5 sets of 10 reps, rest a minute, first 2 weeks, try to add an extra set or two...to get up to 6-7 sets total with 1 min rest...then afterwards, work on cutting the rest period by 5-10 seconds every week or eveyr other week...

You can also do this for pull ups also, you didn't list it, but I know some places require it also...

You can run up to 5 days a week...after you do the push ups or sit ups....you should vary your workouts every time...

-once a week try to run the 2 miles at your best pace, and record the mark
-once a week try to run half a mile at the best pace you can manage.....rest 5-10 minutes, and repeat 3 more times for a total of 2 miles....every week try to shave rest period by 10-30 seconds....
-once a week run 10 sets of 100 meter sprints at your best pace....rest 5 minutes in between....each workout try to shave a bit of the rest period(10-30 seconds)....or run the 100 faster...
-once a week run intervals....jog for 1/4 mile, then run for 1/4 mile, then sprint for 1/16(100 meters) mile...then jog for another 1/4 mile....and so on until you run 2 miles....
- you can also go running for distance, such as building up to 3-5 miles....at best pace you can manage...

I would have a day of complete rest after 2-3 workouts in a row....
You can also vary when you do each of those workouts....flip them every few weeks so that your body doesn't get used to it....
Turkkizi
Turkkizi
Canada
2007/09/04, 11:13 AM
Does anybody has atraining plan cross traing for a week?
Mostly to be able to do Push ups
Thanks in adance
insanecoxy
insanecoxy
United Kingdom
2007/09/10, 10:12 AM
"shurtstealer" I applied to join the British Army what they told me was to do plenty of running 3times a week for 40mins at a steady pace and once a week carry out a 1.5mile run your best time. With the strengh do plenty of pushups and situps do as many as you can in 2mins and you can add weights into your workout as well, also cardio workouts are good for you. Have i been of any use? You probably know all of this good luck with the army im well jealous of you lol:angry:

============
Quoting from shurtstealer:

ok so back to the original question the military workout can anyone give me a daily/bi-dialy workout to get ready for the military im joining the army and i would like to be able to get through bootcamp with little or no problems.

=============
nachoj2033
nachoj2033
United States
2007/12/13, 12:28 PM
Hi I am new to this but I am looking at some questions and answers and I like the answers so here is my question... I am currently in the Army stationed in Iraq I work a very hectic schedule I eat once a day work out about 2 hours a day M-F but I need to lose some weight for some reason i am gaining weight and not in a good way so with only being able to eat once a day with that what are good sources to help me drop weight eating enough to not starve myself but yet help me drop some weight eating decent only once a day If You can help I would appreciate it...If you need more info or for me to elaboprate on this question let me know
illinoisboy84
illinoisboy84
United States
2007/12/13, 02:11 PM
nacho.... i just got back myself. I was unfortunatley at CAMP BUCCA. If you are anywhere near that area i would suggest running outside. I know what you're thinking, but you wont die... i take that back. make sure you have a camelback.
troubledlifter
troubledlifter
United States
2008/10/15, 08:02 AM
I'm in the Army... General military workouts will keep you in decent shape. I still go to the gym a couple hours a night to add mass and strength. Push-ups are a great exercise that are often under utilized. I get better results adding them in my routine. I do all kinds of bench and cable exercises which work, but push-ups just add an extra little bit to it. The motion is different than anyting where your body stays stationary.
I do a lot of crunches but have a lot of variations on them.

I run our PT program in our unit... We have no equpiment on my post... I'm trying to keep PT away from P-Up S-Up run but I'm starting to run out of ideas... anyone have any suggestions?
george.hess
george.hess
United States
2008/10/18, 05:56 PM
wow, im not sure how old this topic is but i heard alot of stuff. i by no means want to start things back up. i have been in the military for going on 10yrs. i also just completed my certified fitness trainer course. i have always been in good shape. the whole thing about what workout is better is only limited by who it works for. froshman, you really have to look at yourself first. you need to figure out what your goals are and then sit down and do some research on how to accomplish your goals.
doing push-ups, sit-ups, and a 2mile run will only get you better for what youre training your body for. know with that said if you decide to only to free weights and machines, they will also help you in your p-u and s-u endevours.(not sure on that spelling). i have read the post from ppl saying that doing one will not help the other and vice versa. i can tell you from personal experience that if you do many variations of the bench press, with dumbbells and barbells, it will help your p-u. now, you also need to work on your triceps. depending on youre doing your p-u, with hands planted as far from your chest, or if you keep your elbows pinned close to your chest. know that your triceps will hit muscle failure before your chest.
now as for who's exercise's are best or incomplete. again froshman this all depends on you. you CAN get big by doing many types of regimens. whether it be weight bearing or non-weight bearing. i hope i have not restarted any fires, and froshman if you need anymore suggestions on anything feel free to hit me up on george.hess@us.army.mil.
2008/10/22, 07:29 AM
I have never been in the military but I would venture to guess you have guys of various builds in your unit? well you can start thinking of each of them as a walking preloaded barbell to their bodyweight.

-Partner Firemans Carry
-Partner Firemans Squats
-Partner Belt Deadlifts(pick up your training partner of the ground by his belt buckle...
-Partner Bear Hug squats/deads
-Partner Standing Press
-Partner Overhead Squats
-Partner Floor/Ground Press
-Partner Push Ups

You may also use backpacks+rocks/other heavy objects to add weight to other exercises like chin ups, dips, push ups, etc where less weight may be used...

bottom line is you need to find ways to increase the load/weight used ina given lift. endless reps wont do much of anything aside from maybe slight improvements to anaerobic endurance...

2008/10/22, 07:31 AM
-Partner Rows

Conditioning:

-Burpees
-Mountain Climbers
-Grasshoppers
-Jump Squats
-Sprints
dan_into
dan_into
United States
2008/11/13, 01:36 PM
I'm a Guard guy and while I can say that military exercise gets you in certain shape, it may not be the shape you're going for. For instance, to reach my personal goals of building muscle mass and burning body fat I have to do weight training and sprints-not follow the Army's PT program which lends itself towards physical endurance and mobility. But if you're interested in a boot camp type program I can help you build one.
dusty422
dusty422
United States
2008/12/02, 03:32 PM
im in the reserves i also can help to build a plan to get you ready for basic training.
mserogers
mserogers
United States
2008/12/17, 12:28 AM
troubledlifter

I was the PT coordinator for one of my clinics and I brought in Arobics three days a week to mix up the cardio. I also found that Yoga can be great strength and balance training.
HELOSETH
HELOSETH
United States
2009/01/03, 06:18 AM
I am writing this not to start into you alls little word fight here but. I have been in the Marine Corps for almost 19 years and have been special forces for 16 of the 19 years. I will tell you that the military exercises are good but a small piece of the pie. Some of the biggest down falls I see in young men is there cardio they have none. They focus so much on getting huge that they forget cardio workouts. When I take my men out on 20 or 30 mile hikes with gear I loose alot of people that are big in size. So can I say that military workouts are good yes but focus on cardio and to answer alot of you alls question on military workouts gets you ready for war and the answer is no not alone.
tatme3
tatme3
United States
2009/08/10, 09:36 AM
This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm supposed to "lurk" for months before giving any input. I see that this post is pretty old, but I feel the need to share :)

I've been in the military 5 years now and the best workout routine I've found is the Navy Dive School Prep workout. My team does this twice a week in the afternoon (130+ weather) and it KILLS you, in a good way of course. Just make sure to drink plenty of water and rest for a min or two if needed.

20 Sets:
25-situps
25-pushups
15-dips
Every 4 sets do 5 pullups

I've seen amazing improvements on my PT tests and it's actually a really fun workout.

--------------
Initial Success or Total Failure
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages