Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Shocking Your Muscles Into Growth!

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/09, 05:56 PM
Here are several shocking principles you should know about:

1) Superset - This is achieved using the following example: say you are on your last set of bench presses and you can only do 3 reps. at 150 pounds. Perform a superset by stripping 20 pounds off and doing as many reps. as possible to failure. Now, strip another 25 pounds until you achieved complete failure again. Strip yet another 25 pounds (you're now pressing 100 pounds) and pound out more reps. until failure. Go one more time at 75 pounds (you can probably only lift this once at this point). This entire sequence is done without pausing and is considered as 1 complete set.

2) Drop set - Similar to the above, except you only go light once and do only one set. Keep the reps. at around 5-10.

3) Pre-Exhaustion - On chest day, you may find (oftentimes) that you can only do so many bench presses before your arm muscles are tired. In fact, they probably get tired before your chest muscles do! You can eek out a few more reps. by pre-exhausting the chest muscles. Here's how: before hitting the bench press, do a few sets of bench flyes first until you reach failure at around 10 reps. Then, do your normal pyramid bench presses. After that, do more flyes! By now, your chest (and pec) muscles are on fire!

4) Partials - Not lifting the weights up entirely, just partially as the name implies. You can lift either half way or only 1/3 of the way.

5) Forced Reps - You CAN'T do this without a spotter! The spotter helps you lift the weights so that you can perform another rep. or two.

6) Wave Loading - Here's an example of this using bench presses:

6 reps. at 95 pounds
1 rep at 175
6 reps. at 115 pounds
1 rep at 185
6 reps. at 125 pounds
1 rep at 195

7) Cheating - A great example is cheat curls. You are using all of your other muscles to help lift the weights up, but your biceps are involved when the weights are going back down.

8) 1-1/3 (or 1-1/2) Reps. Method - An example using bicep curls: instead of going all the way down, just to down 1/3 or 1/2 way, bring the weights back up, then all the way down. This would be 1 rep.

9) Power Training - This is explained in the Power Lifting section. Basically, using the example of the bench press, is to use raw power and speed with lifting the weights up. It will seem like you are trying to throw the weights through the roof!

10) Rest/Pause Method - As the name implies, you pause for about 4 seconds at the peak of the movement keeping your muscles fully contracted. You will find you will not be able to do very many sets using this method!

11) Slow rep. Method - Just as the name implies, you lift the weights very slowly (about 6 seconds to lift the weight up, then about 2-3 seconds to lower). Again, you will not be able to do very many sets using this method. Also, it looks odd as you are doing everything in slow motion...

There are about a dozen more, but I have found these to be the most effective!

----------------------------
**_Robert_**
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/09, 06:55 PM
Good tips.. but I always thought that a superset was either working the same part twice with two different exercises.. like your normal sets of barbell presses followed up with some sets of flyes.. OR another way that would be a superset is to do one set for a muscle like your chest then work another set for the muscle just opposite of it like your back (another example is probably your biceps then triceps) to help promote blood into the same area. I always understood drop sets to be what you described as supersets... don't know.. is it just me?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/09, 07:09 PM
Actually, #1 should be labeled as the Stripping Method and not Superset. Superset should be #12 and is a combination of 2 or more different exercises (for the same muscle group) without pause or rest in between. Also, supersets can work opposite muscle groups as you pointed out, Fireloard. The drop set is correct. Thanks for catching that...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/10, 02:46 AM
Great Robert, nice job!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/10, 10:45 AM
Some of these are also listed on this website! From the main menu, go to ft Exercise Resources, Exercise ft Tools, Training Principles, Advanced Principles.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/12, 01:13 PM
Damn, do you folks each have to do one or all of these?

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/04/12, 01:39 PM
You forgot one, Robert:

University study after university study shows that the number one way for a guy to shock his muscles into growth his to have Monica Brant as work out partner................LOLOLOL

Just kidding, Rob.........GREAT JOB!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/12, 02:14 PM
Monica Brant as a partner.. naaa.. you want blood flowing into your muscles.. not *ahem* 'elsewhere'.. and Cain.. you can probably jump around on whatever works for you... though something like supersets takes a lot of energy, supposedly.. i haven't tried them.. yet..
illus1on
illus1on
Malaysia
2002/04/14, 09:56 PM
monica brant-----ooooooo