Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Knee pain from running - help?

workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2004/06/23, 10:55 AM
For a co-worker who has been on a running program for over 20 years...........runs 7-10 miles every a.m...now having knee pain. I'm thinking he needs to strengthen the knees with exercise...if I am somewhat right...what sort of program?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/23, 11:13 AM
he may have worn away his cartilage with an imbalance pulling the knee off track - has he seen a doc and had it looked into?

Leg pres, leg extensions, squats, but he will have to have his form professionally evaluated and make sure his knees are tracking correctly, or it will just cause more problems.

--------------

\\"Inscribe this on the charm that dangles from your navel, girls. Guys, tattoo this on your biceps:

Building muscle and might builds strong minds and character. Respect and humility come from lifting weights and feeding yourself with care. And from these distinguished qualities a great nation of people is built, by God. (Of course the God part is your choice, friend.)\\" Dave Draper

fixi
fixi
United Kingdom
2007/03/05, 09:34 AM
Hi, I go running maybe 3-5 times weekly on hard surface normally max 1-1.5 hours)At night when I rest I get sever aching knees.I know my joints are feeling the pressure and I´m scared of getting arthiritis or something.I want to continue with regular exercise,what advice can you give me?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/03/05, 10:11 AM
Hi fixi, here are some suggestions;

Run on a softer surface (not concrete sidewalks...even the roadway would be better..as long as it's not concrete)

Try a new pair of shoes

Ice your knees after your run

Switch a few of your runs to the treadmill

Cut down on the distance/frequency of your running

Your right to worry about injury and arthritis. Doesn't mean you should give it up all together, but you better find something that elleviates the pain in your knees or your just asking for trouble. I know several seasoned runners in their 40s-60's that are now suffering from arthritis which Dr's say is likely due to their running. They've had surgery and have been told not to run anymore.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce