Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Facing facts isn't easy - binging

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/01, 01:04 PM
When I was in high school and through to my 19th birthday I would eat and through up, use laxatives, caffiene and supposed diet drugs (speed)...I weighed 96 pounds and hadn't had any weight problems other than adolescent 5 pounds here and there, but I feared fat. I got myself through it and stopped, slowly but surely. Now, 20 years later, I have realized that for the last 10 years I have been binging...I starve, then stuff, then starve, then stuff and I am going to try the 6 meals a day and hope that helps get my body back to normal slowly but surely. I need to lose 78 pounds and I have to take responsibility for every ounce and part of that is to realize that it isn't just my missing thyroid, it is stuffing my face beyond belief and then starving myself, punishing myself for my binging. I thought as long as no one was looking, I wasn't "really" eating! Can you imagine, that is so pitiful! Well, reality is here thanks to all of you and some real deep down soul searching. I have taken care of everyone all my life and I will continue to do so, but it is TIME I took care of myself, too! There...my secret is out...!

--------------
****MISERY IS OPTIONAL****
*****SMILES FOR MILES*****
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/01, 02:58 PM
welcome to a better way of living, vedakathryn!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/01, 03:01 PM
Thank you, you are a terrific role model and glad to have you as a moderator with your knowledge and helpful posts!
desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/06/01, 04:00 PM
Good Luck... it is nice to know that I am not alone in my struggle with binging. :love:

~des~
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/01, 04:38 PM
Thank you, desbug01, yes you certainly aren't alone. I think a lot of my difficulty lies with the fact that I wait until I am starving before I finally eat, then I eat and eat. Like today, I didn't eat anything until noon as I was busy cleaning and I got online here for a bit, well, needless to say, by the time I got ready to eat, I wouldn't of stopped if it hadn't been for this group and my little willpower. I just settled for a bowl of farina with a little milk, but I wanted to eat more and more and more!!!!! arrgggghhhh! But...I didn't!! :) Good luck to you, too!!!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/01, 06:51 PM
vedakathryn - if you increase your lean protein intake you will stay full longer. carbs all by themselves caus emor of a blood sugar spike and drop - leaving you hungrier and craving more carbs. Add a little more protein and a little good fat 9nuts or olive oil) to your meals and you will feel fuller and more satisifed for longer.

--------------
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/02, 12:24 PM
Asimmer, thanks to your posts and others, I am going to go shopping tomorrow and try to buy items that have more protein and I had changed to olive oils if I have to add oil at all about three weeks ago and am pleased with that change. I have been a carb addict, I am sure, I enjoy breads sooooo very much, sandwiches, etc. though I don't care for pasta's or white rice much. I also have been eating too many sugar carbs with the soda's and other foods. I like fruit and don't want to cut that out, so what would you suggest as a good "time" or amount to eat. I think those things you suggested will help my binge eating along with my not letting myself starve before finally sitting down to eat. My husband will say, "how do you FORGET to eat?" as I often skip meals when I am running around cleaning, working, etc. I have to learn to carry a protein bar or something with me, maybe nuts? I did eat first thing this morning a small bowl of oatmeal.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2004/06/02, 03:03 PM
Make your oatmeal with some skim milk or add some protein powder to it or even have an egg with it. You need to start the day off with good healthy complex carbs and protein. I used to do the same thing....I now get up extra early to make sure I eat breakfast. Bring along a protein bar make yourself some meals and put them in a cooler. Trust me starving and bingeing isn't the way to go. Eat ever 2.5-3 hrs. Remember these are small, well balanced(protein adn carbs) not large meals.
Good luck
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/02, 10:37 PM
Thank you, Lonegirl, it is sooooo hard for me to eat breakfast at all, I nearly get ill if I eat earlier than 10:00 a.m., I have always been that way, so I'm lucky if I can choke down anything...maybe I should drink a protein drink about 8:00 a.m. then work out, then eat my oatmeal at about 10:30 a.m.? Does that sound feasible. I want to be careful with the protein drinks as I don't want to drink something full of calories, and yet I want to have the protein. Drinking would be easier in the earling morning for me.

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2004/06/03, 05:40 AM
I understand what you are saying.....I used to get totally ill feeling if I ate first thing in the morning. That is why I wake up extra early....an hour to just wake up then finally eat. I t may be annoying having to get up so early but in the long run it pays off. Eating a healthy breakfast keeps you going.
As for the protein pwd with the oatmeal....I mix 1/2 a scoop into my oatmeal then add the water or skim milk and stir so not lumpy. I don't have them separately. Having a shake early is good too. :)
2004/06/03, 09:38 AM
I throw a scoop of protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal, a couple of eggwhites, teaspoon of cocoa powder , some splenda, 1/cup skim milk and icecubes in the blender. Great shake. Easy cleanup and very fast. If you blend the dry stuff first, It powders and there are no lumps. I hate cooked oatmeal. This makes it good.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 11:13 AM
That is a good idea, Lonegirl, I got up early this morning, but went straight to my workout and didn't like the workout or the eating (drank a breakfast drink). Maybe if I got up a bit earlier like you said and waited a bit it would pay off better as I was groggy and not into my workout as usual and still didn't want to eat or drink anything.

Sorry, Charlie, I am not one to drink things that consist of raw eggs, whites or whole, they make me gag, and that would certainly throw my whole morning off, lol! It sounds like a fabulous shake for the body, honestly, so please don't take offense, but I have enough difficulty eating in the morning than to attempt anything with what my family calls "boogery" egg whites. I like 'em cooked, but I see them going into something non-cookable and my stomach screams. I don't mind my oatmeal cooked so I think I'll stick with that. This protein you guys keep talking about, is that just like a "can of protein"? I have to get to a health store, I guess, but my pocketbook isn't going to accomodate me anytime soon as I have enough trouble just getting enough and the right groceries right now, so I have to think of things that I can eat or drink that I can make with what I have in my refrigerator. I'll look up some more stuff on the nutrition posts.

Thanks, appreciate your help always!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 11:57 AM
Vedakathryn, thats why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Everybody's different.

On your protein, I buy a powder that has 23 grams of protein per 1/4 cup. It comes in flavors and mine is $30 for 6.3 lbs. It lasts 6 weeks. You want to get Whey protein for immediate post workout. My wife also uses a soy powder because her Doc suggested it for female issues. She is eb2432 if you want to ask her. I don't adress female things because I am a man and we all know men are insensitive pigs.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

--------------

Charlie
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/03, 12:12 PM
soy powder for female issues is kind of a big misunderstanding, but if she likes it, eh? It is inferior protein, and now they are wondering if too much soy actually contributes to breast cancer risk. the other thing to consider is that soy in Japan (where it has been shown to be such a health benefit) isn't pasteurized. Soy here is, so it no longer has very much of the benficial compounds that would be the reason to consume soy.

Just my female chauvanist opinion.

--------------
2004/06/03, 12:25 PM
I've heard and read the same thing Amy but the soy seems to have done what it was supposed to. The book she got was "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Susan Northrop. There does seem to be alot of back and forth over soy. Revivalsoy.com is the website she orders from. There is info and documentation there.

--------------

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 10:49 PM
mmmm..soy or no soy...I definately need all the help I can get. I'll see what I need and do some reading, thanks guys. What I'm wondering is how much I will need as my profile here was off by the calories, I'm not sure my needed amounts for the protein, carbs, and fat, etc.

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 11:02 PM
Vedak, you need to figure out your base metabolic rate. Thhats where you do your program and your weight stays steady. Then adjust your total calories down by 250 per day. Do that for a week or two and when your weight stays even, lower it again. The guidelines are just guidelines. You may want to start out at 250 per day less.

Be sure not to go to low. This stuff takes patience and the will to stay for the long haul. I'm sure you also know to not pay much attention to the scale. Use a tape measure. I read another post of yours about the difficulties of measuring. In the local fitness store I saw a cool little tape that was like any other retractable tape except it ws attaches at both ends so you could loop it around the offending appendage with 1 hand and get a reading. You may find one online.

--------------

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 11:09 PM
How do I know how much protein I need, Charlie? Any quick and easy way to figure that? My calories right now are at 1750 a day and I will probably have to lower that soon as I don't think I'm losing and it's been three weeks since I started up a workout program. That measuring tape sounds much better than trying to get around me and hold still long enough to see what I'm at!! Thanks again!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 11:11 PM
Is 1750 what the FT guide gave you? It sounds low. You need about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

--------------

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 11:27 PM
Nooooooooooo...the FT gave me 3500 and with my thyroid meds I couldn't eat that many calories and lose an ounce unfortunately. Maybe I will have to increase my calories, then slowly decrease by the 250? I had a calorie formula, which I have to relocate and ask you guys about, but on that formula based upon my activity, age, and weight, it came to me having only 1350 calories per day, I added the other 400 after getting some advice here stating I may not be getting enough...I just don't know what to do...I know that when I lost 30 pounds a few years back, I was eating 600 calories per day and doing very physical work daily for 8 hours straight, that was the first time I lost any weight since on this thyroid medication, but I was hardly eating and working hard...I probably threw myself into starvation mode...anyway, help is still definately needed with regard to this as I just don't know what to do to lose as for three weeks I have been working hard and maybe lost 2 pounds, although I know that by gaining muscle I will be gaining some weight while the transition is going on, I thought I should of lost more...?

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 11:36 PM
Well, I see you are aware of the "starvation" thing. Let me bow out of this one. I forgot about your thyroid condition . I will leave this for those who know more than me. The 1 gram per pound is accurate and necessary for building muscle. I think you need to accurately track your eating and measurements and learn whats best for you as you go. Pay attention to how you feel as well as how strong you feel.

--------------

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/04, 06:02 PM
Thanks, really, Charlie, for your input and I wrote down the protein so I wouldn't forget with everything else I am learning! I felt awful when I was eating the 600 calories a day, I was walking around eating no breakfast, dry toast for a mid morning snack and lunch and then supper consisting of carrots and other low cal, there were days I would eat up to 1000 calories, but not often. I lost weight though for the first time in years. I'll take the approach of changing some important things and exercising and hope that will help me get rid of this extra baggage!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/06/09, 02:21 AM
Hi there
About the breakfast thing; I didn't really think about it myself but I rarely eat before 1 to 1 1/2 hour after I wake up. BUT what I do is to take a spoon of L-glutamine or another amino acid mixture so my body always got something to work with.
I'm no longer too fond of counting calories. We'll never really know how many calories we burn so it's a little silly. What we DO need to know is nutrition facts and what is good for our bodies (and not just our minds! :) )
Knowledge and being able to work WITH (and not against!) our body is how we'll be able to stay healthy and happy.

Another advice is never to starve yourself. I often feel a little bit hungry but I actually like it since that's a great sign of my metabolism working hard. I'll always respect my meals but what is more difficult is to be able to stop in time...... :surprised:

Anyway, GOOD LUCK and all the very best to you all! :love:

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com