Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Shakiness?

lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/08, 09:40 PM
I posted a message about eating 5-6 times a day. Since I have been doing this I noticed that if I miss even one meal I start shake and feel out of breath. What could this be?
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/08, 10:25 PM
hypoglycemia your blood sugar has dropped.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am a beast and that is enough.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/03/09, 06:56 AM
I have to eat 6 times a day. I don't miss my meals because if I'm late eating by even 20 minutes I get dizzy and nauseated and feel like crap. I'm assuming this means that my metabolism is running wide open. I hope that's what it means.

Anni
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/09, 04:28 PM
I thought of getting checked for hypoglycemia but it is weird that I would just develop it now at the age of 26. anni, thanks for sharing that you get dizzy too. I get dizzy and shakey and I just want to know that it is okay.
rn2bsarah
rn2bsarah
United States
2004/03/10, 10:35 AM
I am going to nursing school and you don't have to be a diabetic to experience hypoglycemia. Almost everyone experiences a dip in their blood sugar during the day which can cause mood swings, tiredness and crankiness. Are you drinking enough water? Shakiness can also be caused by dehydration.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/10, 05:59 PM
I drink about 64 ounces a day. I am having shortness of breath also which scares me. It is very odd.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/03/10, 07:13 PM
Lucyladybug,

If you are having symptoms of shortness of breath, regardless of the cause, you should see your doctor.

I found the following list of symptoms of hypoglycemia on WebMD for you. You can go there for more information but be sure to call your doctor.

The symptoms of low blood sugar may be mild, moderate, or severe.

Mild hypoglycemia can cause nausea, a jittery or nervous feeling, cold and clammy skin, and a rapid heartbeat.

Moderate hypoglycemia often makes you feel irritable, anxious, or confused. You may have blurred vision, feel unsteady, and have difficulty walking.

Severe hypoglycemia can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, and coma and may be fatal.

If you are hypoglycemic you should be spliting your calories between 6 small meals, every day and on schedule so you don't feel like crap.

Hope this helps.

Anni

neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/03/11, 06:27 AM
go to your doctor anyway it could be serious.
think of simple questions to yourself that answer your dilema first though...
are you diabetic? there's your first answer...
are you restricting carbohydrates? diabetic or not- you must eat some surely...
are you eating your 6 meals as a traditional balance or are you excluding any foods? 3rd answer is balance...
Note Atkins style does at first tire you and I don't think any good to insulin dependance...
Now see the quack if you haven't got an answer..
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/03/11, 06:46 AM
i noticed your previous post about food basically....
There was some negative grounded comments on what food does or is for...
so i need to clear up a couple of points that are true.

1)eating a balanced plate with good protein content does boost the metabolism..
2)six small meals a day keeps your metabolism continually boosted for both muscle gain and fat loss.
3)it's not about weight loss,,, it's about FAT loss..
4)if you eat less than 1200 calories a day. I don't think you could lose anything except muscle. Calorie counting should be a 'sensible' level- NOT TOO LOW! it'll make you store fat instead.
5)keep eating a balanced diet 6 times a day with good protein in take, 5+ peices of fruit/veg... Then the exercise will stimulate your system- just 15 minutes run in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon or so is enough 3 times a week.
6)If you lose 3 pounds in a week eat more or exercise less or a bit of both..
7)Eating right, eating more is the scientific proof of FAT loss.

Hope this helps reafirm a good sensible base of a no fad relationship with food.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/11, 06:50 PM
Thanks neil. Here is what I basically consume each day.
Breakfast: oatmeal and coffee
10am: pear
Lunch: Salad and yogurt or a sandwich
3pm: apple or veggie
Dinner: chicken with rice, etc

I do cardio for 20 minutes every other day and lifting the alternate days.

I think that my metabolism just got out of whack with changing to eating 6 times a day and my body is trying to catch up. I am not loosing any weight though.
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/03/12, 04:27 PM
How much coffee are you drinking?

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/13, 09:13 AM
I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. I actually am switching to green tea which has less caffeine. I am a substitute teacher so I need some type of caffeine.
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/03/13, 10:05 AM
Let us know what the doctor says!
I would not be surprised if he tells you to lay off the caffine too. I used to think that I needed my coffee, but since I have stopped, I feel better than ever! This is not the root of your shakiness, but I'm sure it is a contributing factor especially of you skip a meal.

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2004/03/13, 06:55 PM
I get shaky after drinking certain diet soda. something about the sweetner in it does it to me

--------------
Reddy

All people smile in the same language
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2004/03/18, 10:12 AM
Ok you are eating WAY too little. Every one of your meals should have some protein. Apples and pears are simple sugars and they convert very quickly in the body to energy but run out quickly....therfore eating some protein with them will help to prolong the energy effect in your body. Add some protein to your breakfast too. Mixing in protein powder to your oatmeal is a quick way to add protein. Or have an egg with it or even make it with some skim milk.
Just remember protein is your friend.
PAT:)
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/18, 04:46 PM
Why am I gaining weight then? I am trying to eat small portions throughout the day and I have gained 2 pounds in the past week and I am beyond frustrated!
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/03/18, 09:04 PM
It looks like you are getting around 1000 calories a day and that is not enough food. It also looks like about 50% carbs. Lonegirl is right and I know because it happened to me too. I was getting about 800 calories a day for the last 8-10 months and didn't even realize it. I felt like crap, I looked like crap and I was starving myself. Use the ft diet tracker and get yourself up to at least 1200 calories per day. Follow the program and you will feel better and you will lose weight. It's crazy as hell, but it works.

--------------
Anni

Never pet a burning dog.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/20, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all of your advice. I always was brought up believing that fruit is the best to eat and veggies and when I have them, they seem to just go right through you with the high water content. And I do not get very full. I am going to be brave and try cottage cheese for the first time and eat more tuna on a weekly basis.
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/20, 11:31 PM
Yeah as strange as it sounds, the less you eat the more fat you store 'cause your body goes into starvation mode and tries to retain as much as it can. Oh, btw, if you want to kill a "sweet" craving try mixing some splenda into your cottage chz, it's one of my favorite snacks when I have a sweet tooth!

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/21, 05:35 PM
I will have to try the Splenda. I bought the cottage cheese today and my husband bought applebutter to go in it so I am going to be brave soon and try it!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/03/24, 04:22 PM
Ick, I didn't like the cottage cheese, any other suggestions?
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/24, 04:38 PM
Fat Free Yogurt with Fresh Fruit is always good, I like sugar free jello pudding, lots of stuff out there depending on what exactly you are looking for.

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/03/25, 02:16 AM
Yes you are definitely not eating enough. The body needs energy for fat burning as well AND what we often forget; the body needs GOOD fat to burn the bad one....... :surprised:

============
Quoting from lucyladybug:

Breakfast: oatmeal and coffee

TRY TO EAT SOME SORT OF PROTEIN IN YOUR FIRST MEAL (Wakes up the metabolism) LIKE COTTAGE CHEESE OR EGG WHITES

10am: pear

Lunch: Salad and yogurt or a sandwich

MORE VEGETABLES AND PROTEIN AND KEEP THE CARBOS SLOW BURNING

3pm: apple or veggie

TRY EATING A LITTLE BIT OF NUTS AND AN AVOCADO

Dinner: chicken with rice, etc

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/03/25, 04:32 AM
3 sliced up strawberries and a pot of plain yogurt(skim milk).
oats, strawberries and milk or yogurt. Or a banana(10g protein in a nana.
a cup or a piece as a portion- Get about 5 to 9 portions per day.
Get some protein at every meal to help switch on your metabolism. Be it dairy, chicken, fish, nuts.

Aim for 8 very small meals. That way you will feel guilty for not hitting enough meal times.
YOU MUST EAT MORE THAN 1200 calories as your body will refuse to let go of fat and eat it's own muscle to prolong it's self. Try low calories 5 days on and 2 days(weekend?)of eating a bit much to trick the body in thinking it's not in a famine.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/19, 10:44 PM
Okay, I have been adding in the nuts and tried the icky cottage cheese and the yogurt and I am gaining weight again.:(
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/20, 09:04 AM
You are probably gaining some uscle. Also, when you exercise, you will increase your blood volume, so that weighs more, also. Are you feeling like your clothes are tighter?

============
Quoting from lucyladybug:

Why am I gaining weight then? I am trying to eat small portions throughout the day and I have gained 2 pounds in the past week and I am beyond frustrated!

=============

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/20, 10:02 AM
Yes, my clothes feel tighter also and I hope that it will pass and then move on to the loosing fat stage.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/21, 10:02 AM
It takes a little time for your metabolism to sort itself out. keep on trying and have some faith. i knwo it is frustrating.

Some things that kept me from getting results previously - too much cardio, too intensley (my system was always fatigued).

Not enough rest.

The wrong kinds of food, not enough of the right kinds.

Things I focus on that seem to speed up my progres - positive affirmations, a belief that what I am doing is working.

Moving everyday, not necessarily exercise, but movement.

Eating to fuel my body, eating to be healthy.

Staying off the scale and noticing how I feel instead.

Keep on moving forward, it will all work out.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
swimgal85
swimgal85
United States
2004/09/24, 08:42 PM
First off... I am not diabetic, but my blood sugar does tend to drop and I find I have to eat almost every 3-4 hours, even waking up at night with shakiness and dizziness. I have managed to deal with this by...

PROTIEN, PROTIEN, PROTIEN!!!!!

Protien, like the moderator said, helps burn things slower and also helps me feel full when normally I couldn't really tell. Also, I find that caffiene accentuates my hypoglycemic (borderline) episodes so I try to avoid it. Finally, eating within a half hour after exercise for some reason reduces shakiness and shortness of breath as well (I'm not sure it it's cause and effect or if I just tend to eat more healthily after I workout). hope some of this helps!

--------------
swimgal

Getting through a horrible day and still feeling like you did your best is the biggest accomplishment. - unknown