Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

The heavier, the better!

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/06/10, 09:05 PM
Last week I started my power routine again after 10 weeks of pathetic, although somewhat successful, mass training. Yesterday was my heavy legs day and it felt soooo good to squat 350+ again. I was staying around 300-325 on my final sets when on my mass workout. Tomorrow is heavy bench; I am so looking forward to throwing some serious weight around!! Can't wait for that adrenaline rush.

After training like this for a while, I don't know why anyone would NOT want to do this. I'm sure even the females on this site would enjoy it. Powerlifting - fun for the whole family!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/06/11, 03:03 AM
I love to lift heavy, also gives me a little rush to know that I have just pushed myself to the limit.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!

THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/11, 08:59 AM
Nuff said lifting heavy beats high rep "toning" training anyday!

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/06/11, 02:01 PM
Ah, yes, J - we are a small (in number only!) but unique family.

"Powerlifting - you just wouldn't understand..."

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/11, 02:21 PM
And they do not understand. I tell people that my goal is to lift a car off the ground. I get funny looks. People at work know I lift and they ask what do I bench etc. I tell the rather how much I shrug, deadlift squat etc. then I flex my Biceps(I have I believe the largest here at work, others may have more definiton, but by jimmy mine anre the biggest!)! My wife is somewhat understanding but not really caring except to know that I like it. I tell people to come lift with me I get but I do not want to get huge! Yeah right liek you would one back workout with a real lifter and they would go running. JB go for it man lift heavy and do it with pride!!!!!!

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/06/11, 02:35 PM
Bingo, Mutt. It's like the famous saying "If you can't do, teach." These persons' egos are sooooooo huge that they don't want to emabarass themselves (in their minds) by not being able to move weight. "I don't want to get *big/strong/huge/whatever* , I just wanna tone." What they don't understand is that there is a tighter and more inclusive fraternity within strength training than in any other aspect of the fitness industry!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/11, 02:38 PM
I think like you said that the main problem is that attitude we have developed in the usa that failing is not right. I have made more gains failing at a lift then coming back the next time and nailing it plus more, than if I stayed safe and sound lifting smaller weight(nothing wrong with that if that is your game). So to all that doubt that it works keep reading here and see I promise soon I will show a whole new MUTT! Sorry for hijacking your post JB! LOL

--------------
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/06/12, 10:20 PM
You're not hijacking the post, Mutt! I enjoy these kinds of conversations because there's a few of us that really enjoy strength training (and the pain that goes with it) and we can relate with what each is going through, for the most part. And besides, your enthusiasm is motivating.

Another comment for you, Mutt. You mentioned failure in your previous post. Failure to me is NOT an option. If I fail at a lift, I'm pissed for a week and try to nail it the next time I do that routine. Today, I tried 350 on bench for the first time since December. I had already done sets of 305 and 335, but I gave it a shot anyway. I didn't get up, but I'll harness the anger and let it fester and build until next week when I'll try it again. Point is, I know how you feel.

--------------
--JBennett
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/13, 07:07 AM
Yes, lifting heavy is the only way to go. I have always been a fan of low rep, HEAVY weight training, nothing like it in the world and like you guys have said, you simply can't beat that rush of adrenaline.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/13, 07:31 AM
Yeah Jb that is what I meant that you try lifts you thought you could not get. If you do get them great moce on, if not , well you know what you need to work on next time!!!!

--------------
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/06/14, 04:23 AM
Count me in on that club. I'm really unhappy if I have to put up more than 5 reps.
JB - are you using a Westside-style routine?

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/06/14, 11:03 PM
Yeah, mackfactor... Simmons' Westide method is the only way to go in my opinion. So intense and heavy that it scares people. Gotta like that. ;)

--------------
--JBennett
The_Tic
The_Tic
United States
2003/06/16, 10:53 AM
Help me out here. What is mackfactor, and the Simmon's Westside method.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/06/16, 10:33 PM
The Tic,
Mackfactor is a dude's name (see above). Simmons' Westside method refers to Louie Simmons, owner of Westside Barbell (www.westside-barbell.com). I do a routine that I modelled after the Westside methods to conform to my needs. Here's the site:

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

Its by far the most difficult routine I've ever done; that's why I love it.

--------------
--JBennett
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/17, 12:44 AM
I couldnt agree with everyone more on the strength issue. I was due to go back on a mass cycle 2 weeks ago but im having too much fun breaking PRs. last week I deadlifted 430lbs & today I just hit 360lbs on incline press & I"ve been trying to hit that one forever! Truely strength is the greatest reward of our hard work & sacrifice. We may be few but we are a lucky few.

--------------
\\"Knowledge & persistence is all one needs to succeed\"\
---Patrick L.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/06/17, 01:59 AM
Hey The_Tic . . . . I'M mackfactor! :)
Westside stuff is incredible. I love the fact that someone was ingenius enough to incorporate speed work into powerlifting routines. One of these days I'll do a full fledged Westside routine, but until I get some more experience and find myself a decent spotter, I'm going to have to do my strength work in phases. I'm planning on doing a 4-6 week speed phase when I'm done with the remainder of this 6 week mass phase. Any tips/tricks/suggestions on how to optimize it?

--------------
-- Bob Dylan
The_Tic
The_Tic
United States
2003/06/17, 10:58 PM
Ok...Nice to meet you mackfactor. LOL
I will definitly look up that site. My lifting partners and I are currently working on the MaxOT method. We just started it and are going to see what the results are in a few weeks.
Thanks for the information.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/18, 07:08 AM
Hey Tic, I have been using MAX-OT for a long time now and I am sure that you will like the workouts; hard, heavy and intense. I am always usually out of the gym in about 45 min. ( most of my time is spent resting) I am a HUGE beleiver in MAX-OT and all of it's principles. But make sure that you incorporate all of the nutritional strategies as well. My gains took off as soon as I began using the bracketing method, and I am still kicking ass in the gym. Good luck, and if you have any questions about MAX-OT, don't bother to ask.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/06/18, 03:03 PM
Alright, dahayz, I'm going to defy you on that one. I know I've seen MaxOT before, but I haven't ever studied it. Wanna hook me up with a link??

--------------
-- Bob Dylan
sweitz14
sweitz14
United States
2003/06/18, 04:07 PM
www.ast-ss.com is the site for MAX-OT. It sounds pretty interesting, I think I'm going to try it out. I've finished the 8 week program here and my gains have slowed down recently. So I think I'll try to shake it up with MAX-OT. Hopefully I get something out of it.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/19, 07:10 AM
MAX-OT is so much more than a workout program. It incorporate everything including nutrition, mental and physical intensity and other aspects. It totally debunks most exercises, and I agree with it totally. The core of MAX-OT is HEAVY and intense weight training with BASIC exercises, we all know what those are. There is nothing fancy about MAX-OT, just plain balls to the wall training. Paul Delia holds nothing back when it comes to the truth as you will see when you sign up for the course (it is free). I am a huge fan of Jeff Wilet and Skip La cour, 2 bodybuilders that follow MAX-OT and they are 2 of the most successful natural bodybuilders around today. I know you guys will like what you see and feel. My weights(and lean muscle mass) have jumped through the roof these past few months and I couldn't be happier. Good luck.
RaskalSbp
RaskalSbp
United States
2003/06/19, 11:36 AM
im gonna try that