Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

which Protein Powder?

Epsilonxi1038
Epsilonxi1038
United States
2009/05/22, 11:17 AM
You wrote2 seconds ago
Alright I have been stepping it up in the gym, doing a consistent 5 day workout with a lot of cardio and a total body workout. I eating pretty healthy and have paid attention to eating/snacking 6 times a day. I have read a lot about taking protein before/after working out and all this stuff about protein. I need confirmation on me moving into supplement taking other than my vitamins. I'm 5'10, 166lbs, athletic build

I would like to know the best deals for buying protein, best brands and what to look for when buying it.

Also what are the pros and cons of taking protein?

How much can my body hold/ take in without wasting my money and pissing it literally down the drain?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/22, 12:36 PM
As far as just straight protein goes, I likes mine on the cheap. I use Body Fortress whey protein and I get it from Walmart. It costs about $16 and has about (30) 25 gram servings per container.
Your over-all intake is dependent on your goals. If you are cutting, then 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass is more than fine. If you are bulking 1.5-2 grams is what you're looking for.
It's best to get as much protein from real food as possible. I only use the whey protein as a means to keep my protein count up but still control my calorie intake.
isco6
isco6
United States
2009/05/25, 01:26 PM
I also like mine on the cheape side but I buy the soy chocolate EAS brand also at the wallmart or the riteaide it costs about 8 to 12 bucks and you get about thirty 20 gram servings.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/25, 02:11 PM
Soy is a hotly debated protein. Most serious strength trainers call it the lowest quality protein, and there are even claims that it promotes estrogen production. I'm not trying to scare you off from it, but maybe PM bb1fit (moderator) and get his opinion on soy protein.

============
Quoting from isco6:

I also like mine on the cheape side but I buy the soy chocolate EAS brand also at the wallmart or the riteaide it costs about 8 to 12 bucks and you get about thirty 20 gram servings.
=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/25, 04:09 PM
Always check the amount of protein relative to scoop size.
Sometimes we find out howm protein we are not getting in the container.
In other words how much filler. Percentage of protein per scoop. Anything over 81% is good.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/26, 09:03 PM
Hows 26 grams of protein at 110 calories per scoop sound? That's what's in my cheap-@$$ Body Fortress.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/27, 10:46 AM
what is the actual scoop quantity? That's what you need to know, how many grams of powder does it take to give 26 grams of protein.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/27, 12:03 PM
Oh, ha ha ha! It's a standard 1/4 cup scoop. I didn't think of it in that kind of volume. I'm not sure about the over-all grams. I will say that comparatively there is still more protein per scoop than any of the other whey proteins I've tried.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/27, 04:46 PM
Hope its over 81, it might say the grams on the bottom of the scoop.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

haney2009
haney2009
United States
2010/02/04, 10:18 AM
How would you suggest getting motivated to start a workout regimen? Secondly I want to loose the fat but I would also like to maintatin my current weight if this is possible. If you have any suggestion for me a would really appreciate it. Ive noticed in the past that once I start my cardio I tend to loose to much weight and I dont like the look. Im only 5'1 and 121 pds but i like this weight I just need to loose tummy and thigh fat and build muscle tone all over. But not to bulky these questions are open to anyone that may have soemt helpful suggestions. Also foods that may help. Thanks Starr
flearubio
flearubio
United States
2010/02/04, 02:41 PM
I just started the program here a week ago and am already seeing results. I am on the weight loss and all over toning program here...just keep at it and you will get the results you want!

============
Quoting from haney2009:

How would you suggest getting motivated to start a workout regimen? Secondly I want to loose the fat but I would also like to maintatin my current weight if this is possible. If you have any suggestion for me a would really appreciate it. Ive noticed in the past that once I start my cardio I tend to loose to much weight and I dont like the look. Im only 5'1 and 121 pds but i like this weight I just need to loose tummy and thigh fat and build muscle tone all over. But not to bulky these questions are open to anyone that may have soemt helpful suggestions. Also foods that may help. Thanks Starr
=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/02/08, 07:54 PM
Protein supplements are such a debated subject. In the end, unless you are cutting for a contest or photoshoot where everything must be precision for that 'final' cut look, just about any protein powder on the market these days will work for you. Protein powders are simply and should simply be used to address you shortfalls in protein intake. Nothing more.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

blue77
blue77
United States
2010/02/17, 05:56 PM
Pre workout take 32 grams of whey protein with your morning meal and you 5grams of creatine with 5 to ten grams of L-glutamine.Then after your workout take a whey and casein protein mix again with your creatine and L-glutamine pills or powder. There's only one important meal of the day make it count you have 30 minutes of opportunity to deliver nutrients to musles before its too late.and that is the post workout meal.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/02/18, 08:22 PM
Yeah, if you don't get your protein in within 30 minutes after your workout, your gains will be totally null and void! :laugh::big_smile::laugh:

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer