Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

what can you use to gain lean weight

emoskapunk123
emoskapunk123
United States
2002/01/09, 08:27 PM
im 19 years old and ive been lifting for over two years. I gained thirty pounds in the first year and a half but then i stopped. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good suppplement or food that will help me gain weight. My strength continues to improve but very slowly i also want to help that
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/09, 08:41 PM
If you search thru the posts you will find many posts on this subject. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. Its normal to slow down over time. Add a protein drink (whey, egg type) to your meals (or between) that should help. Tried creatine? Add glutamine too.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/01/09, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Freetrainers! I noticed this is your first post.

First, make sure the protein (and other nutrients) in your diet fulfill your body's needs. One gram of protein per pound of body weight everyday!! Next, are you changing your workouts periodically (once every 6-10 weeks)? Those are the first 2 questions you should ask yourself.

My last question to you is: Are you taking any supplements right now?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/01/09, 10:13 PM
tell us a little more about ur diet, supplements and routine that u have now. then it'll be easier for us to help.
michael
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/10, 03:41 AM
Welcome here emoskapunk! Listen to those clever people in here and tell more about yourself as well.
emoskapunk123
emoskapunk123
United States
2002/01/10, 08:22 PM
hi. I try to eat at least 100 grams of protein everyday but i ussually get like 150 grams. I also don't eat alot of fat. I eat oatmeal every morning along with a methoxy pro shake but theres only 22 grams of protein in them and there expensive. I need to find another good and cheap protein. i lift five days a week usually in a row mon-fri and my workout always changes order except for chest which i do every monday because i think thats my weak part and my bench wont go up. everything else improves but has also slowed down. I tried creatine but it wasn't very effective but it wasn't a popular brand so that may have been the reason.my workout is ussually like this:
day 1 chest
day 2 shoulders
day 3 back
day 4 legs
day 5 arms
I think i have a 7.5 peercent bodyfat maybe a little less but im not sure how accurate that is. I guess i need to put on some fat but i don't know many high protein foods except tuna which i eat every day also
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/01/10, 08:55 PM
This may sound weird, but you need to cut back on working out and eat more protein. Reading your last post is like recalling a memory; I did the same thing. I used to workout 5 days a week, but it really didn't give my body time to recuperate like it should. When you can't 'heal' your muscles, you won't grow anymore.

Your workout has a lot of overlap, meaning you work the same muscle group more than once a week. For instance, you train your chest on Monday, then work your shoulders on Tuesday. During your chest workout, you work the shoulders harder than you think. So, what you're doing there is hitting that muscle group in consecutive days, which overloads that muscle and it doesn't recuperate like it should. You are also training your arms 3-4 times a week. You may not know it, but you are (chest, back, and arms; and to a lesser degree on your shoulders day).

By cutting out all this overlap and giving your muscles TIME to grow, you WILL grow. But, diet is a huge part of gaining, too. 100-150 grams of protein a day isn't even close to enough. If you weigh around 200lbs (as your profile suggests), then you need 200-250 grams of protein a day - everyday. Sure, seems like a lot, but you can do it. Consume carbs everytime you eat protein - the carbs will help in the delivery process thoughout your body.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/10, 10:40 PM
Did you sign up for the 8 or 12 week ft mass program? If not, you should so you can get an optimal training schedule. As jbennett says, you're hitting the same muscle groups too often and you're also not consuming enough protein. Eat 5-6 small meals a day and incorporate protein shakes. Then, get plenty of rest and give your muscles time to grow.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/11, 07:41 AM
I did 8 weeks of the FT 12 week mass program (female) and made some nice gains I added some muscle and strength. Order your protein from Netrition.com or the like for good prices. Try HDT Pro Blend 55 or Cyto Pro (26.00) buy a 5 pound bucket of whey for about the same.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/01/11, 01:32 PM
a couple of pieces of advice if your object is to gain strength and mass:

1. eat more in general, esp. more protein, at least 1.5g per pound of body weight. beef, chicken, eggs, milk, fish; and dont forget quality carbs as well as fats (peanut butter, olive oil, etc.). dont forget your water.

2. try working out only 4 days a week - 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. your body will only grow when it can rest. dont overtrain. keep the reps low and heavy with perfect form.

3. dont rely on supplements. they are there only for additional support, not as a replacement for food. that being said, try: a good weight gainer after your workout; glutamine; Creapure creatine (used by universal and prolab); a multi vitamin/mineral; your additional proteins powders througout the day should be blends like milk and eggs - keep the whey for after your workout.

if you want more specifics, email me here on my profile.

good luck...........michael