Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

What am I doing wrong?

wmajordan
wmajordan
United States
2009/10/09, 08:45 PM
Alright. Here's the situation. I am 33 years old, 5'-9", 169#. I've been working out now for about two years. I am maybe a little bit bigger than I was. I am really getting impatient. Two years should be long enough to be satisfied, right? I don't want to be huge, just look good. Nice set of pecs, good arms, and a six pack. I already know that the sixer will have to come later once I am satisfied with the rest; however, I have no clue what I am doing wrong. I work out 4 to 5 days a week, working chest on Mondays, back and biceps on Tuesday, shoulders and triceps on Thursdays and legs on Friday. Cardio is 2-3 days a week. I am consuming a minimum of 150g of protein daily and eating healthy. I just started taking Cryotest thinking maybe I need the extra boost but really don't feel like it is working. Is there someone out there that can please help me and tell me what is going on? I appreciate any and all advice and/or criticism. I do have photos if they need to be seen.

--------------
Bill
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/10/10, 08:39 PM
Well what are you trying to do? Gain mass get ripped?

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/10/11, 03:44 PM
I agree, are you eating to get big or are you eating to maintain your size, or lose weight? What's your specific goal? If you're trying to get bigger then you're probably not getting the calories you need. Also you may have a good training split, but how are you training? Have your routines gotten stale? How are you lifting?
wmajordan
wmajordan
United States
2009/10/11, 09:52 PM
Thank you for your quick replies. I uploaded two photos of what I cuurently am working with. I am trying to get bigger, so I take it I should increase my calories; but this is where I am confused. I don't want to get "fat". From my understanding, more calories will help you gain weight; but you cannot turn fat into muscle. So how does eating more add muscle. I would think just by working out hard, muscles will get bigger. I AM sure that my routine may be stale but until I can get back home to my gym (I'm working out of town and limited at the facility here) i about eight weeks, I am trying to do what I can. So all in all, I am currently eating to maintain, trying to stay around 1800 - 2000 calories a day. My goal is to have a body like returnofplex. Not totally huge but very tone and in shape. If you would, please take a peek at my photos and help me from there. I do three sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise increasing weight each set and 3 exercises for each muscle group. Thanks again for your help.

--------------
Bill
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2009/10/12, 09:23 AM
Hey, I have seen that body type/shape.. On Me.. I'm 5'9" and currently at 176#.

1800-2000 Calories a day definetely won't make you Fat, but it won't make your "Ripped" Either. As you stated, it's a nice maintenance amount. To Gain (Mass, Strength, or just Size) you must have a Caloric Surplus. To gain Muscle Mass and Strength, you need to keep the Surplus as Clean as Possible. Keep Protein High, Carbs low, and Fats in the middle.

I would guess that your BF% is in the 18-22% range. To me, that says if you want to get "Ripped", you need to lose weight (Drop BF). You will still be small though, because your Lean weight is ~145#.

Now, after all of my rambleing, I would recommend the following to gain size and become more defined.

1: Eat more, but limit Carb intake. Might start with ~2500 Calories for a bit and check your results

2: Add in a little bit of Speed/Endurance work into your routine. Either With weights, or Hiit . I prefer with weight training, but I have to go back to the cardio at times to keep the BF in check.

3: Add more Leg Work. Studies have shown that direct Leg work will increase Mass and Size all over.

4: If you have been doing the same routine with the same exercises for a while, I would also recommend changing it a bit. I like to change complete exercises, but just changing rep ranges or variations will work also.

Good Luck
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/10/12, 10:26 AM
There is not a easy way to go. You need to eat big, train big to get BIG....most people gain some fat with this..... that is the way it works.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wmajordan
wmajordan
United States
2009/10/12, 01:24 PM

============
Quoting from wilburburns:

Keep Protein High, Carbs low, and Fats in the middle.

What is considered low for carbs and middle for fats?
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2009/10/14, 12:33 PM
First off, I'm not a dietitian and I hope that if I am to far off, someone will correct me, because there are quite a few better at this than myself.

Now, I will base all of these calculations on the assumptions made above.
2500 Cal Diet
Lean Body Mass 145

Most recommendations that I have seen are for Protein amounts are 1-1.5g protein per Lean Body Weight.

145# x 1.5 = 217.5g per day.
217.5g x 4 = 870 kCal or 35%Protein

Fat and Carb amounts are not quite so easy to calculate precisely, but I seem to respond better to 150g or less Carbs. Your exact amounts may vary. But, I can usually really CUT Fat with 100g or less Carbs, but I have a hard time getting All my calories in each day with Carbs that low.

150g x 4 = 600kCal or 24%

This Leaves Fat.
2500kCal - 800kCal - 600kCal = 1100kCal Fat

1100kCal / 9 = 122g fat or 44%

Calorie Calculations from http://www.nutristrategy.com/nutrition/calories.htm

Now, it appears as though in these calculations, We have more Fat than I initially stated. Therefore, I would tweak the calculations to Add more Protein and Less Fat. In reality, switching the Protein and Fat Amounts would correct the issue.

Bottom Line, to gain weight, have a caloric Surplus, and to lose weight, have a caloric deficit. The breakdown of those calories will determine the type of weight you will gain or lose.

But, Mostly, it is Hard work. You must Work hard, both in the gym and in the Kitchen.

Cliff

wmajordan
wmajordan
United States
2009/10/14, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much. I'm going to work a little with these numbers and see what kind of results I come up with. I think my only problem is going to be 200g+ of protein and staying around 2500 cals. I know it won't be easy. Thanks again Cliff.

--------------
--Bill

\"Give a man a fish, feed him for day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.\"