Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Upper arm shoulder rehab suggestions

mgill0292
mgill0292
United States
2003/05/30, 11:48 AM
I had a custom plan drawn . . . unfortunately couch potato was not one of the selections.

Broke upper right arm in Feb 03, went to 9 sessions with local PT but have decided to continue on my own instead.

Regaining frontal use of arm but using to the side is very limited, about 40 degree raise so far. Apparently have adhesive capsulitis and trying to work thru it.

Have dumb-bells and a (cheap) weight machine . . . any suggestions?
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/30, 12:12 PM
Hey mgill,

Sorry to hear about the arm. Were you not happy with the results of the physical therapy? I know that sometimes PT takes a while before you see results.

When I had PT (for my shoulder), I was given about 16 exercises to do. Started with those grey rubber bands and progressed to DBs and then machines. Did the therapist give you a plan to follow? Any exercises? If so, can they be tweaked to use light DBs and light machine work at home?

I'm no expert, so I would be very uncomfortable recommending any home-based exercises to rehabilitate a broken arm. Have you talked to a family doctor about this? Maybe he/she could provide some do's and don'ts. For certain, you don't want to overdo it. Boken bones take time to heal.

There are lots of people on this board who will be able to help you. Take a moment to fill out your profile - this will help!

Good luck and welcome.

TSMD
mgill0292
mgill0292
United States
2003/05/30, 04:26 PM

============
Quoting from tenorsaxmandave:

Were you not happy with the results of the physical therapy?

TSMD
=============
Thanks TSMD . . . after nine sessions at $140.00 session, my therapist finally gave me some basic isometrics. He was convinced range of motion was the problem, I feel that the manipulations he did stressed/strained the muscles etc and therefore limited the ROM, events of last two weeks confirm.

Have been on my own for two weeks already and just saw my orthopedist . . . he's happy with my progress. I think I'm not working something, at least not right.

Trying to figure out what I need to do for the "side" lift on my arm . . . finally up to grannie push-ups off the kitchen counter & the basic curls dredged out of my memory.

Any advise would be helpful, but don't worry -- I'm not going to do anything that sounds/feels uncomfortable, beyond normal exercise tightness anyway.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/30, 07:30 PM
Try this website. http://www.webball.com/power/jayson.htmlbsite...
great stuff on shoulder rehab

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/30, 07:31 PM
LOL...leave off the bsite at the end. Not sure how I got that in there.

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron