Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

TROUBLE GAINING!

woodlejw
woodlejw
United States
2001/12/21, 11:41 AM
I HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY WORKING OUT FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW. I WENT FROM 168 TO 185 IN THAT TIME. NOW IT SEEMS LIKE I AM HITTING A PEAK THAT I CANT OVER COME. I AM EATING ALL THE GOOD QUALITLY FOOD I CAN STAND, SO SICK OF EGGS, CHICKEN AND SKIM MILK I COULD KILL SOME ONE. BUT OVER THE PAST 3 OR 4 MONTHS MY BODY WEIGHT HASNT CHANGED, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS. I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT A PROCESS IN THE BODY THAT CREATES MORE HEAT AND THEREFOR USES ALL OF THE FOOD YOU PUT IN AS FUEL, BUT DONT KNOW? ANYONE WHO HAS HAD TROUBLE GAINING AND GOT PAST IT PLEASE HELP, WES
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/12/21, 11:49 PM
Sounds just like me! I went from 176 to 191 in no time it seemed, but hit a wall right there. My strength gains haven't suffered, but my body weight hasn't changed much in the last 3 months. My old routine had me working out 4 to 5 days a week. I've dropped that down to 3 days. I have also eliminated any overlapping excercises, which simply means that I don't work the same muscle twice in a week. So far on this new routine I've gained 2lbs in 2 weeks and I feel a lot better - more rested and relaxed. I work out at the highest intensity level I can and I think that is key. You also need to eat more. I always thought 3500 calories was enough but apparently not.

My point is: try a drastic change in your routine, accompanied by a few more quality calories in your diet and you should see progress. Best of luck to you!
illus1on
illus1on
Malaysia
2001/12/24, 11:15 PM
jbennett got a point there. sometimes you have to determine your goal. if you want to gain more, you got to eat more. but always remember this, record whatever you have ate. if you do this, it is simpler for you to keep track of your weight changes. and also remember that, if you want to gain weight, you cannot eliminate fat. both of these goes together. when you gain weight, of course you will gain weight as well.
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/12/25, 11:09 AM
wood,

everyone hits a plateau.. nothing worse than a plateau. But there are ways to overcome them. Your food intake seems fine, try changing routines. I would go heavy - heavy - basic! Try the 12-week mass program here at ft.. it might be exactly what you need.

.o0 Arnold 0o.
Ironbod
Ironbod
United States
2002/01/18, 07:20 PM
If you have been doing the same thing for a year you definitely need to change your routine drastically and start doing some new lifts to start new muscle growth. If you aren't taking any supplements now would be the time to add them to your nutrition regimen to get past your plateau. Good Luck and keep us updated.
internut1500
internut1500
United States
2002/02/07, 11:39 PM
Sometimes, people stop gaining because they are overtraining. When was the last time you took a break from lifting? If you haven't had a break in a while (2+ months), try taking a week or two off. When you start training again, use a different routine to shock your body.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/08, 11:19 AM
Welcome to ft, Internut. Glad to see that you are already getting involved in some of these posts. And, oh my, you're a tall fellow at such a young age! Do you play basketball or volleyball?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/08, 07:51 PM
Also remember you cannot go by the scales alone...they lie to you. For example my weight is the same as it was 14 months ago. If I went by the scale I would be bummed. (my goal was to reduce bodyfat and gain some muscle.)Well at the same weight I have 5 more(+) pounds of muscle and 4 pds less(-) of fat. Thats a nine pound difference! So use the tape measure and calipers in conjunction with the scale.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/08, 09:31 PM
Your right, Itroisi. Hell, according to JAMA, I'm obese if you go strictly by my height and body weight alone!!!!
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2002/02/14, 09:41 PM
Yup...gotta agree with that one....I found myself overtraining in the summer...and had to FORCE myself to take a break....it was the hardest thing to do, though!!! You feel so lazy and out of shape....however when you hit the gym again...you feel more energized and motivated to knock it all out...
I actually saw results quicker...and was happier! I know it's difficult...but give it a try..it may just be what you need....

Keep us posted...

sg
woodlejw
woodlejw
United States
2002/02/18, 03:42 PM
WELL HERES WHATS BEEN GOING ON. THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING GOOD I ADDED MORE CARBS TO MY DIET AND AM SEEING RESULTS, BUT PUTTING ON SOME FAT TOO, I THINK MAYBE A LITTLE MORE THAN I SHOULD BE, BUT I WILL WORRY ABOUT THAT LATER, STILL HAVE A FOUR PACK. SO I WAS LIFTING VERY HEAVY AND LOW REPS 235x5 BENCH AND 550X10 ON LEG PRESS FOR A WHILE AND I GOT AN INTERNAL HEMROID(A BROKEN BLOOD VESSEL IN MY ASS BASICALLY). THIS FORCED ME TO TAKE A WEEK OFF TO RECOVER, WHICH I THINK I PROBALLY NEEDED. BUT NOW I AM JUST STARTING A NEW ROUTINE AND ADDED 30 MIN OF CARDIO AFTER EVERY WORKOUT TO CUT DOWN ON THE FAT I HAVE BEEN GAINING. LATLEY I HAVE BEEN EATING ALMOST ANYTHING JUST TO SEE HOW MY BODY REACTS, I GUESS I PUT ON WEIGHT A LITTLE EASIER THAN I PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT, WHICH IS GOOD IN A WAY. BUT I THINK I NEED TO CUT BACK ON ALL THE EXTRAS(SYRUP, BUTTER, CHEESE, YEA I WENT CRAZY) AND I WILL SEE WHERE THAT PUTS ME. IT AS FUN WHILE IT LASTED. SO I GUESS I DONT HAVE ANY QUESTIONS JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE HOW THIS GOES. I WILL BE DOING HIGHER REPS FOR THIS PERIOD THOUGH, OOHHH YEA I DO HAVE SOMETHING FOR MOST OF YOU NON USER OUT THERE ABOUT HOW MANY TOTAL SETS WILL YOU DO ON A PRETTY HIGH INTENSITY CHEST DAY. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I AM DONE AT ABOUT 3-4, BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING 10+???
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/19, 07:15 AM
my current work out has 4 chest exercises with three sets each, thats 12 sets total. this all depends on an idividuals goals. less will work too.
edwardocantu
edwardocantu
United States
2002/02/21, 07:22 PM
jsut eat right and uh sould do fine
woodlejw
woodlejw
United States
2002/02/24, 11:12 AM
YEA THATS KINDA THE CONCLUSION I HAVE COME TO. I WANTED TO BELIEVE I COULD GET BIG FAST, BUT IT JUST TAKES TIME( MORE THAN A YEAR) BUT MAYBE IN A COUPLE(4-5) YEAR I CAN HAVE THE 19 INCH ARMS I SEEK, WHO KNOWS MAYBE MORE BUT THE ONLY WAY I CAN FIND OUT IS KEEP TRAINING AND EATING RIGHT. IN ONW WAY I AM GLAD IT IS NOT AS EASY AS I WISH IT WAS RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE I WANT TO BE IN AN ELITE GROUP IN THE FUTURE I WANT PEOPLE TO SAY DAMN HE TRAINED HARD AND LONG TO GET THOSE RESULTS.
Panther
Panther
United States
2002/02/24, 11:43 PM
Hi all, (first post)
Wood, I am a classic hard gainer and have had the same dificulty. I too went crazy eating for a while and found myself liking how I looked and felt fully dressed but had very faint lines where my six pack USED to be and some love handles starting to show. Here's how I blasted past my plateau and gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks AND my sixpack is making a come back. (this is not to say that any program won't work... This is just what I tried.) The key is olympic lifts... huge, compuond movements. and try NO CARDIO for 4 weeks. You'll Grow.

1. Eat really clean but eat alot 3,000 - 5,000 calories divided into 6 meals (sucks when you try not to eat junk).
2. Keep up the carbs! 60-65% carbs and 30-35%protein. Let the fat be incidental if you can. (try to eat the good fats)
3. Sleep as much as possible!
4. I took 4 weeks and did (day 1)7-10 sets of moderately heavy squats x 10 - 12 reps (also sucks... almost lost control of all bodily functions) then one set of extensions to failure (15-20 reps). (day 2) 7-10 sets of bench x 6-8 reps followed by one set of dumbbell presses off of an exercise ball to failure (15-20 reps)
(day 3)Dead lifts 7-10 sets X 10-12 reps (Heavy as possible)
Followed by 4 sets of bent over rows X 8-10reps (day 4) jerk/press 5 sets x 10 reps follwed by 3 sets to failure of verticle flyes (moderate weight - 30-35 lbs)

Day 1
skip
day two
day three
skip
day 4
skip (repeat for 4 weeks and I guarantee... Brand new You!)