Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Thyroid?

sweetiet
sweetiet
Canada
2003/01/27, 03:49 PM
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about minor hypothyroidism? I went to my doctor who says I would have a goiter if I had it but my nutritionist at the gym told me to do a simple temperature test to see and my temperature is indeed below average consistently upon waking (among other characteristsics...fatigue, feeling cold, dry skin). I read about this technique as well in a book called FAT WARS. She suggested taking kelp to regulate it. I want to get my doc's opinion but he doesnt support herbal rememdies, surprise surprise! My nutrionist also suggested i stay away from fat burners (even ephedra free) if I do have hypothyroidism. Can anyone help me??

Thanks!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/27, 08:48 PM
My wife has hypothyroidism. Life still goes on, she goes to the gym regularly, not to mention she is at the min dosage of syntroid .50mg.
The ONLY way to confirm, is through blood tests. She doesn't have a goiter.
She has not had any side effects from the med, and feels alot better.
The meds, combined with excersise and eating right are a good combination.
Hope this helps.

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
sweetiet
sweetiet
Canada
2003/01/28, 07:27 PM
Thank you....was just wondering if this is what is inhibiting my weight loss as I train diligently, try to eat well. If you have minor hypothyroidism can it be a blockade to weight loss? my nutritionist says yes. Anyone know about kelp to help regulate it naturally? or should i post on the supplements board?

thanks!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/28, 08:39 PM
Her trainer agrees with your nutritionist regarding the weight loss.

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
FIREDISPBABE
FIREDISPBABE
Canada
2003/01/31, 05:38 PM
Are you currently on any meds? I take .200 of synthoid a day and Iwas advised to avoid kelp and soy as they can impact the meds!

--------------
Deb
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/02, 09:22 PM
Hi Sweetiest, I too have hypothyriodism, and yes it does have a big effect on your weight, which is how i discovered i had it along with feeling fatigued all the time, i had a sudden weight gain. i have been on synthroid and have switched to herbal remedies, one of those being taken is Kelp and the other is L-Tyrosine. So far so good,so if you are taking meds, just stick with those if not, try kelp or l-tyrosine but do not take both meds together. good luck and let me know how it goes.

--------------
Bettia.... You are nothing less than Beautiful in my eyes.
sweetiet
sweetiet
Canada
2003/02/03, 04:33 PM
I guess I have a mild form of it (determined by temperature tests...have not called my doctor yet to see if the blood tests show even a mild disorder). Thus I dont qualify for doctor prescribed medication.

Its the only thing that seems to make sense because I've made drastic changes in my diet and work out dedicatedly and cannot budge my weight.

Can you take both kelp and l-tyrosine at the same time? What is the dosage you take for kelp? Any ideas on how to determine mine?

Thanks!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/04, 01:43 AM
Hi sweetiet, I take 1000mg (2 tablets) of l-tyrosine daily and 660 mg of kelp (once tablet a day.) They don't suggest a higher use of the kelp but for the l-tyrosine you can add another 500 mg daily if 1000 mg isn't sufficient. thanks Ravenwolf for answering that for me.

hope it works out okay.

--------------
Bettia.... You are nothing less than Beautiful in my eyes.
sweetiet
sweetiet
Canada
2003/02/12, 09:49 PM
thanks guys....

guess we'll have to see!

;)
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2003/02/13, 07:14 AM
Get a blood test to confirm. Many people do have it but not as many as some may think (I know of many people who think they have it...but get tested and nope. One they really broke down what they were eating and doing they realized it wasn't their thyroid) Incidently dogs are common to get hypothyroidism and cats hyperthyroidism...so if you have pets be aware. (I am a vet tech and see it all the time)
enjoy the day!!
PAT