Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

There's a women's community?!

micheleg77
micheleg77
United States
2001/10/14, 11:27 AM
I started with FT two weeks ago and just discovered that there was a community section for women. I'm wondering how many women out there are trying to lose weight and how much lifting weights has been helping? This is the first time I've ever tried lifting weights as part of any diet and exercise routine, and I've tried every routine out there! So far I'm down 11 pounds over 6 weeks, but I've only been weight lifting for the last two.

I would love to hear some feedback from others about what weight lifting has done for them.

Thanks,
Michele
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2001/10/15, 10:00 AM
Hello Michele!

Weight lifting is _so_ important if you want to lose weight. Last summer, I started a program at the gym to lose weight, and lost 20 pounds and close to 10% of my body fat because of weight lifting. Of course, I stopped exercising, and have been a couch potato since June of this year, so now I'm back at it. The reason weight training helps is because your muscles burn more calories than your fat does! The more muscle you build up, the more calories your body will burn when you are just sitting around doing nothing. You do want to be careful when weight lifting though, and not build up muscle too quickly. You want to be able to do at least 8-12 reps of any exercise, otherwise, you run the risk of marbleing your muscle. You know when you go to the grocery store's meat dept and see the meat with fat lines running through it? That's what can happen to your muscle if you start powerlifting and gain muscle too quickly. The fat becomes embedded and is very hard to get rid of then.

So, it sounds like you are doing an excellent job in the weight loss dept. Just under 2 pounds a week is perfect! Be careful to keep up your calorie levels when you are weight training as it burns more calories throughout the day, and your body may think it is starving and kill your metabolism.

Good luck to you!

184.6--184.6--140
starting weight--current weight--goal weight
micheleg77
micheleg77
United States
2001/10/15, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes the weight lifting program seems so hard. But it's nice to know it will be well worth it in the end.

Good luck to you too!

180--169--134
eener
eener
United States
2001/10/25, 11:15 PM
Hi, Michelle

Alorle gave some excellent advice. I've always been more of a cardio buff but have recently found the more weight training I do the more iI like the results. Keep up the weight training you'll burn fat throughout the day whereas with cardio only 1/2 hour after workout. Don't get me wrong cardio will definately help you reach your goal, but in the long term the more muscle you have the easier it will be to keep the fat away!! Good luck in reaching your goal!!
micheleg77
micheleg77
United States
2001/10/30, 11:17 AM
Thanks! What kind of a program are you on?
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/10/30, 12:15 PM
Great advice from alorle....

Train hard and eat right!

Good Luck!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/10/30, 01:28 PM
It's funny 'cause I always get so tired when I'm not working out...... Maybe it's just the fact that I sleep a lot better when i'm physically tired too.
I have been doing sport all my life and weight training for now 8 years. We women don't weight train in the same way as the men, but still if we are afraid of taking heavy then will never really reach the muscles and get the results as we want.
I'm not bulky but still I weight train 5 days a week, and trust me I take heavy. it's all a question of the right way of working out. Luckily we have sites like Freetrainers.com who can help and guide.
Good luck with the progress!
Ban
Ban
United Arab Emirates
2002/07/20, 05:40 AM
Hi!
I've been weight training for almost 2 years now and i've just recently discovered FT.I have been looking for some insight into powerlifting for women. I've tried several programs and reached different levels of strength but recently i've not been able to lift as heavy as i used to. Any advice on how to get into powerlifting again?

thanx in advance!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/07/20, 05:55 AM
ban - check out my remarks under the "powerlifting" thread.......

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"