Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

The truth about us - gasp!

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/08/30, 12:33 PM
I saw this article on MSN, and damn near LMAO! Can you imangined what the author looks like? I mean, look at his author qualifications! Sheeeeeeeesh....

"Workout Obsessions
Can you ever be too big?
by Ian Lee
From our partner, AskMen.com

More Links from
AskMen.com

• Great fitness and health tips
• Fashion and style for men

Do you squander hours away looking at your body in the mirror every day?

Do you spend more than 2 hours in the gym each day?

Are you always worried that your muscles look too small?

Well, if you answered "yes" to any of these questions, be careful because you could be suffering from what doctors call "muscle dysmorphia" (MD) or what bodybuilders refer to as "bigorexia" and "reverse anorexia."

Big worries

While anorexics starve themselves thinking they're too fat, men suffering from MD think they look too small. Suffering from MD isn't life threatening, but its symptoms could lead to problems, which could become life threatening. That's why it's critical to identify MD in its origination before it gets too serious and damage becomes permanent.

A healthy lifestyle should be a given for every man. Always keep an eye on your diet and exercise regularly -- but the question remains: when do exercise and diet constrains become problematic?

Are you big enough?

Before you answer that question, ask yourself these:

Are you obsessed with building mass?
Do you check out your physique in the mirror more than twice a day?
Do you weigh yourself once or twice a day to see if you've gained weight?
Will you avoid going out to restaurants with friends because you're scared you'll cheat on your muscle-building diet or because you might lose muscle definition?
Do you dress in baggy clothes (at the gym or in public) because you're ashamed of your body and scared people will think you're too small?
Are you below average in body fat and still think your muscles could be more defined?
Do you experience mood swings and anxiety attacks because of your unhealthy diet?
Are you generally dissatisfied with your body?"

I only have one thing to say to this guy: Keep your low-weight, high-reppin, bicep curlin', "I just wanna tone" @$$ out of my power cage!!!!

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/08/30, 07:47 PM
============
Quoting from rev8ball:

I only have one thing to say to this guy: Keep your low-weight, high-reppin, bicep curlin', "I just wanna tone" @$$ out of my power cage!!!!

=============
AMEN, Brother!!! According to this Richard Simmons-loving, "I'm proud of my 11 inch thighs because I'm happy being me" stick boy, I should see a doctor because I'm obsessed?!?!? ITS CALLED D-E-D-I-C-A-T-I-O-N!! I do it because I love the adrenaline and testosterone, not because I have a low self esteem! I don't want to brag that 'I'm in shape'; I want to tell everyone "Hell yeah I can bench 360!' This guy seriously needs to come over on Monday and do a heavy squat/deadlift workout with me.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/08/30, 11:03 PM
"Bigorexia" LOL!! c a n't tY p e mU s t s tO p lAu g h ing !

--------------
\"Knowledge & persistence is all one needs to succeed"
---Patrick L.
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/08/30, 11:03 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/08/31, 02:29 PM
....AMEN!!!!

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
borpillicus
borpillicus
Canada
2003/09/02, 11:39 AM
I am not a huge guy by any standard, but I have a lot of respect for the guys that get huge. I know the kind of hardwork, dedication and disipline required to get that big and that powerful.

Hehe. Sometimes I wonder if articles are like that are written by stickmen that are jealous of what they could have, but won't take the time or effort to achieve.

--------------

- Its never about how much you can lift, or how many reps you do. Its just about doing it, and doing it right.

~Brad~
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/18, 10:38 AM
But guys, come on now - when you get to the point that you are taking more steroids than a race horse and can't fit through doorways, but still feel inadequate, there is a problem. There was a similar article in ACE's publication this month, and while I feel sorry for the guys with 'bigorexia', I also feel like, weel, it is about time men had their own eating disorder, women have suffered long enough! I am sort of crabby today, sorry.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/09/18, 12:18 PM
I agree with your first statement, asimmer. But I've seen this condition discussed in three other places since posting this, and believe the following:

1. I don't think "bigorexia" is as rampant or as mainstream as the media makes it sound.
2. Women "suffer" from this as well, not just men.
3. It's not an eating disorder; and men can suffer from other eating disorders as well, not just women.

....And I'm always crabby everyday - LOL!

--------------
Michael

jefado
jefado
United States
2003/09/18, 01:54 PM
Yeesh!!

Yeah....
I think that's all I have to say.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/19, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I can't seem to get big enough...but i have no trouble eating!! LOL
Oh, and nothing is as rampant as the media makes it sound, thank goodness!
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/10/17, 10:28 AM
I'd rather be obsessed with working out then obsessed with watching TV and getting fat.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/10/17, 01:06 PM
Bingo, gatormade...

--------------
Michael