Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

the creatine/coffee issue

bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/13, 03:46 PM
ive looked extensively into the fitbuddy postings and done additional research into this issue over the past few days, but have come up with mixed results. some advocate coffe and creatine as ok, as long as the caffeine is within moderation and the 2 are separated. some advocate that the 2 contradict each other, as one is a diuretic and the other is involved in water retention. so what is everyones opinion on this?
oh and i have another question concerning cell-tech specifically. during the loading stage, you consume 4 scoops daily (= 20 g creatine) which is all fine and dandy. however, the directions state for the maintenace phase to consume 2 scoops (= 10 g creatine) daily. however, dont you only need about 5 g of creatine a day during the maintenace phase, so would it be safe to split this maintenance serving, or should i stick with the directions? could just be muscletech trying to get me to overcompensate so i have to buy more.. rev8ball or anyone??
2005/04/13, 06:35 PM
you can drink coffee/tea but separate it from creatine by at least an hour ...because caffeine negates creatine's effects...

cell-tech=overpriced supplement...not worth the money even at cheaper prices online

also 20 grams is only if you need gains quickly...you can just take 5 a day for 30 days and no loading is necessary...

10 grams a day maintenance is too much for an average person...I would say 3-5 grams is plenty ....with the new CEE creatine 2-3 grams might be plenty becomes it is absorbed by the body better....I would say take maybe 5 grams on days you train and 2-3 grams on days you don't....
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/13, 06:42 PM
so as long as they are separated by about an hour, they shouldnt negatively accent each other? And yeah, I know cell tech is extremely overpriced.. ive had this container for awhile now, so might as well use it up. I'm going to switch over to CEE for the next phase. merci menace
yert
yert
United States
2005/04/13, 09:28 PM
By CEE do you mean Creatine Ethyl Ester?

If so what brand would you recommned?
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/13, 09:57 PM
yeah thats what i mean, but i havent experimented with it yet. bb1fit did a test run of the CEE from Serious Nutrition (you can check out his thread) and sounds like he had good success with it.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/04/13, 10:12 PM
Coffee is a diuretic. I wouldn't recomend it while on creatine. You would only be wasing your money and defeating the purpose of the creatine.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/14, 07:47 AM
i was just wondering carivan, cuz im in exam time, and i usually hit the gym in the am. i was thinking of taking creatine post workout, then go home (shower, etc.) have my post workout meal, head off to the library, and grab a coffee on the way. its at least 2 hours after i take the creatine.. and i can probably cut out the cup i take early in the am preworkout.
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/04/14, 09:04 PM
Anytime you drink any type of caffein I would drink an extra glass or two of water, since it is a mild diuretic. I'm with Ivan on this one, I would just avoid caffein while on creatine just to be on the safe side. Since cell tech is so expensive ˆwouldn't want to risk the chance of wasting your money.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2005/04/15, 02:24 PM
This from http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hp/creatine.html :

I heard that creatine and caffeine can be consumed at the same time. But an article I read claims caffeine inhibits the absorption of creatine into muscle tissue. Which is true?

There was a controversial research study published in 1996 in the Journal of Applied Physiology about creatine and caffeine; however, if you study that article closely, you'll find that caffeine had no effect on creatine uptake into muscle. A more recent study by Vanakoski, et al. in 1998 investigated the pharmacokinetics of caffeine and creatine, both alone and in combination. They reported when creatine was used alone or even in combination with caffeine that, "creatine was rapidly and efficiently absorbed, as reflected by plasma concentrations." Because researchers concluded that creatine was efficiently absorbed even when combined with caffeine, it does not appear from the results of this study that caffeine exerts a negative effect on the uptake of creatine into muscle tissue.

--------------
--It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.--
Aristotle
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/04/15, 03:26 PM
yeah ogun, its articles like that that put me to ease, then i end up finding another with the counterclain that it actually inhibits absorption. i think im going to stick with just the cup of coffee in the morning, then creatine after the workout and lots of water..
2005/04/15, 05:37 PM
ogun I am not sure....last time I checked caffeine had a negative impact on creatine's absorbtion by the body...

'Another common dietary component is caffeine. Caffeine is known to boost the activity of the transport system that shuttles creatine from the bloodstream across into the muscle cells. It also increases the amount of adrenaline coursing through the blood, which should also encourage uptake of creatine. A team of Belgian researchers therefore recently investigated the effect of taking creatine supplements with caffeine. They anticipated that caffeine would lend a helping hand to creatine. They were surprised and disappointed to find the opposite - caffeine actually counteracted creatine's positive effects! ('Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading', Vandenberghe et al, J Appl Physiol, vol 80, pp452-457, 1996).'
thedominator
thedominator
United Kingdom
2005/04/15, 07:42 PM
i would stay on the safe side.. whats the point of using creatine and then killing the effects with caffine.. even though its not clear.. its better to stay on the safe side... but if u can't stay away from coffee.. then give a BIG gap between the two...

just my thoughts...

--------------
A life worth living is a life lived with honor and dignity..bow to no moral.. THATS ME

Me and My Body are competitors... we compete each other for different goals..

supplements are Helpers.. not the Drivers of Health wagon
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/04/15, 09:06 PM
They may use the same receptors.....it may be best to be safe and separate them.

And your 10 gr. maintenance dose, they are advocating 5 gr. pre and 5 gr. post workout. This is not really necessary, one or the other will do. With cell tech due to the high sugar content, I would opt for post workout.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2005/04/16, 12:31 AM
It's the first result I could find so I posted it; I have no personal proof...just post what I see.
tessia137
tessia137
United States
2007/05/08, 01:28 AM
Tessia
We eat coffee yogurt every day for our breakfast and I
grind up 2 tablespoons ground up flax seed and 1 tablespoon
of lecithin in our coffee yogurt, which is Dannon coffee yogurt. This is not bad for your health, in fact it's great for the liver, cardiovascular and digestive tract.
jimntess2001@yahoo.com
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/09, 08:58 AM
What does that have to do with creatine, and why drag up a 2 year old post?