Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Strength Training: frequency

Starlight87
Starlight87
United States
2003/01/20, 07:50 PM
My first strength training workout was this morning and I absolutly loved it! I was curious if it would be bad for my muscles to strength train 5 days a week (mon. - fri.) instead of 3 times.

----------------------------
*Starlight*
therainmaker
therainmaker
Denmark
2003/01/31, 10:59 AM

Essentially what you are doing when you train your muscles is that you’re tearing your muscles apart, so in order for you to get stronger you need to allow time for your muscles to heal in between workouts. If you do not do this you’re going to find yourself in a lot of pain and with minimal gain. Since this is your first strength training you should take it easy and settle into a steady routine. After you feel comfortable doing the exercises, and you’ve worked out the weights you need, you could consider upping your strength training to 4-5 times per week. Should you choose to do this you need to balance your exercise plan so that you work different muscle groups every day, i.e.:

Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Arms
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Back
Friday: Chest
Saturday: Abs
Sunday: Rest

That way your muscles will have time to heal before being pulled apart again. Just remember: Patience is a virtue.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/01/31, 11:19 AM
It really depends on your goals, and therefore, your intesity. If you are strength training for something in particular, such as powerlifting or olympic lifting, and your intensity is relatively high as a result, 3-4 times a week is sufficient. Anything more than that can end up being quite detrimental to your body.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/02/03, 04:05 PM
Even more so if you are training heavy. You need to rest to grow!!! and eat LOL my fav!!!!!

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!