Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Steroids: Benefical or Destructive

Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/08/24, 04:51 AM
No I'm not always up at 430am, but I just got home from work and decided to have a shake before I crash. Tonight on Fox News they did a story on wrestling. Of course, they touched on steroids. I was amazed by all the wrestlers under 40 years old who have died from alleged steroid side effects. Healthy looking people who dropped dead from heart problems, ect...

Then you've got people who do and have done them for years without any problems

Chris benoit's doctor was prescribing him 10x the average amount of testosterone every month. Wonder if this is close to an average cycle
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/08/24, 08:54 AM
show me one person who has done them "without any problems"

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/08/24, 01:04 PM
Here you go

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z0LEj8IPHGU
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/08/24, 01:11 PM
ok now show me someone who has done them "without any problems"
They do have BAD side effects in EVERYONE that does them.... here read this...

http://www.steroid.com/side.php

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/08/24, 01:45 PM
The article backs up the video. When done correctly the irreversible health threatening side effects appear to be negligible.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/24, 01:46 PM
I can show you lots of people who have done them without problems Nadine. From the article you posted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I´m here to assure you that those types of horror stories are few and far between, and after consulting with literally hundreds of athletes and bodybuilders, I´ve almost never heard of anything even remotely resembling the popular "horror stories" we see in the media almost daily. I´ve certainly never seen anyone become the Green Goblin from using them, either.."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the side effects are from orals, and the media GREATLY exaggerates their negative effects. In fact, I would go so far as to say that most men over 40 would benefit a great deal with HRT under the advising of a doctor.

The people that do educated cycles are not getting their information from CNN or from

That said, I am violently opposed to their use in sports where they are considered an unfair advantage.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/08/24, 02:36 PM
and on the other hand every person I know has had side effects from them.( Includeing my husband and an ex-bf) I am not saying that they are as bad as the media hype, but they are there. These people may not end up with life threatening issues, but they have had consequences from their use. Some long term and some short term.

Steve I agree on the use in over 40 men... but they way they are used for bodybuilding... and I assumed that was the context here... there can be massive issues.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/26, 03:20 PM
Yea. But then again, too much water can cause electrolyte dilution and kill you. Should I stop drinking water because the media reports a story about this? It would make a great 6 o'clock news segment.

You do orals, you stack improperly, you don't cycle, you don't use estrogen blockers... you deserve what you get. Steroids are harmful because they are MISUSED. People that know nothing about them and nothing about their body attempt a cycle based on what they can get from some guy at the gym, and they get what they deserve.

The reason they are so misused is because they are illegal. In legal, doctor supervised hormone replacement therapy, and in countries where they can be obtained legally, these problems are rare.

This is one of the topics I can't stand, because people bring it up all the time without knowing what they are saying. There is more misinformation about steroid use than probably anything else in the fitness industry. I hate when it comes up, because I grew up in Newburgh, I have seen what cocaine, meth, and lsd do to people on a regular basis. I have witnessed hundreds of people hurt or killed, in clubs and on the street, in every day life, and yet congress insists on going after steroid users instead, when I can walk downtown in my hometown and watch people overdose outside a pizzeria.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/08/28, 09:14 PM
Not sure whats worse somtimes....uneducated people taking steriods/supplements...or uneducated people talking "bad" about steriods/supplements...

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
grafbusterbris
grafbusterbris
Australia
2007/09/08, 06:42 PM

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

I can show you lots of people who have done them without problems Nadine. From the article you posted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I´m here to assure you that those types of horror stories are few and far between, and after consulting with literally hundreds of athletes and bodybuilders, I´ve almost never heard of anything even remotely resembling the popular "horror stories" we see in the media almost daily. I´ve certainly never seen anyone become the Green Goblin from using them, either.."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the side effects are from orals, and the media GREATLY exaggerates their negative effects. In fact, I would go so far as to say that most men over 40 would benefit a great deal with HRT under the advising of a doctor.

The people that do educated cycles are not getting their information from CNN or from

That said, I am violently opposed to their use in sports where they are considered an unfair advantage.

=============
although i dont do roids myself i dont see any problem with atheletes using them. the idea of competitive sport is to win, push the boundarys. think what the records would be now, also there are a lot of supplements being used with no true research done. is that safe? i was reading on this site that creatine is banned in france, not all that fair for french atheletes, always being beaten by others with a performance enhancing product(creatine)in them. my thoughts only
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/08, 07:07 PM
It's immoral and against the rules. The idea of competitive sport isn't to win, it's to actually BE better than the competition, and not get there through the use of aids. It's about pushing yourself to the boundaries of the human body. It's not about how good your doctor is or who can go the longest without getting caught.

You mean to tell me you have no problem with athletes that compete in something cheating? Is using a corked bat in baseball wrong? Would cutting the course on a cycling competition be wrong? How about when argentina won the world cup by hitting a goal in with the hand? Steroids in sports are no different. If you are explicitly prohibited, than it is CHEATING.

Saying that records would be better if everyone used gear is a damn insult to the men and women already in the record book who worked their asses off to get there.

I don't care how strong you get by jabbing a needle into your ass check, have the moral fortitude to stand up for what is right.

Strength comes from the heart, not from the needle.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2007/09/08, 09:58 PM
Wrestler,

I agree what you are saying, just curious where you draw the line. For example, what about the athlete that needs to take a cortisone shot to play? If he/she does not get the shot they will not be able to compete or if they do not at a high level. Is that an unfair advantage? They are taking something to make them "better". In a way that is a performance enhancer. I am not trying to agrue the point, just curious where you stand.
grafbusterbris
grafbusterbris
Australia
2007/09/09, 06:01 PM

============
Quoting from KA:

Wrestler,

I agree what you are saying, just curious where you draw the line. For example, what about the athlete that needs to take a cortisone shot to play? If he/she does not get the shot they will not be able to compete or if they do not at a high level. Is that an unfair advantage? They are taking something to make them "better". In a way that is a performance enhancer. I am not trying to agrue the point, just curious where you stand.
=============
how many times have we watched the football and see an injured player get a pain killing shot and then continue playing, that is performance enhancing as they could not have continued without it. how about shirts that help people bench more weight than they can shirtless. unnatural, some say cheating. i think sport has to be either totally natural(no supplements, nothing) diet and training only or else take sport to the max where it should be, no restrictions. lets face it ben johnson still beat the world record all those years ago didnt he
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/09, 06:08 PM
Cortizone shots aren't anabolic steriods....they are ANTI inflamatory steriods...BIG differance.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

grafbusterbris
grafbusterbris
Australia
2007/09/11, 05:40 PM

============
Quoting from bigandrew:

Cortizone shots aren't anabolic steriods....they are ANTI inflamatory steriods...BIG differance.

============= imo any drug that allows you to continue on in sport where the body could not normally operate is obviously performance enhancing, how can you deny that?
2007/09/11, 05:41 PM
Thus sayeth the neckid man.

--------------
From aboard MV The Shop
Johns Island

Charlie
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/11, 10:06 PM
They are ILLEGAL and BANNED performance enhancing DRUGS. That is the key.

Besides that, think for a moment. A cortizone shot allows an athlete to CONTINUE playing at a level they are already at. Steroids allow them to exceed these levels.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/11, 11:33 PM
You evidently have no clue what your talking about...

============
Quoting from grafbusterbris:

=============

--------------

2007/09/12, 12:10 AM
Am I the only one who noticed the guy is neckid? Y'all are arguing with a neckid guy.

--------------
From aboard MV The Shop
Johns Island

Charlie
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/09/12, 09:05 AM
Charlie....you're so funny...

I don't argue with these guys anymore...naked or not...

wheres menace...thought he'd be all over this...

I agree with wresler...he's the smart one around here

I HAVE gotten to the point where I realize side effects on any drug(preformance enhancers and otherwise)...the ugly ones...tend to come when the person taking them is uneducated and abuses them...menace gave me that...with a big slap in the head(yes....I hold a grudge...I am a women afterall)
Mel4Short
Mel4Short
United States
2007/09/12, 12:24 PM
LOL Charlie
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/14, 01:16 AM
KC, it works that way with a lot of things. There are a lot of good things out there that get a bad rap because people take them too far (swiss balls, low carb diets, stretching... etc.)

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/09/24, 06:54 PM
They seem to be alright if done properly. I'd like to try them eventually. Not really in a hurry though, actually making good gains with just food and rest. Before starting a cycle i plan on knowing the in's and out's way way better.

Looks like I'd have to wait to try them anyways according to the news. Everybody and their cousin is going to jail for distribution. I think I heard "Hundreds of thousands" when refering to people associated.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/09/24, 08:41 PM

============
Quoting from olibobwa:

They seem to be alright if done properly. I'd like to try them eventually. Not really in a hurry though, actually making good gains with just food and rest. Before starting a cycle i plan on knowing the in's and out's way way better.

Looks like I'd have to wait to try them anyways according to the news. Everybody and their cousin is going to jail for distribution. I think I heard "Hundreds of thousands" when refering to people associated.
=============

How could they be alright if used properly??? Over the long run they still cause damage to one self and sometimes others involved??

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/25, 12:26 AM
Have you read the other posts?

What about HRT? There is a perfect example of long term use not hurting people. How about the thousands of elite athletes that use them for their entire competitive careers without ending up sickly or dying? The entire Tour de France and every olympic swim team (with the possible exception of your truly own canadian team)? If one of these athletes were to come down with some of the supposed "damages" associated with anabolics, the media would do what the media does best.

How about in countries where it is legal (though still banned from sports)? Do these people experience the same "problems"?

To say that anabolic steroids are always dangerous is a complete blanket statement, and an ignorant one at that. If I believed everything they told me at health class in high school, I'd still think swimming was the ultimate form of exercise and that marijuana would make my fingers fall off and my eyes turned yellow.

============
Quoting from carivan:

How could they be alright if used properly??? Over the long run they still cause damage to one self and sometimes others involved??

=============

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/09/25, 12:32 AM
The consensus I got was that damage to the user and others involved comes from uneducated misuse
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/28, 01:17 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=729242

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/09/30, 07:55 PM
Lots of info on this site... The steroid article is spot on thanks for posting it
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=729242

=============
grafbusterbris
grafbusterbris
Australia
2007/10/13, 01:54 AM
there are a lot of supplements being used with no true research done. is that safe? i was reading on this site that creatine is banned in france, not all that fair for french atheletes, always being beaten by others with a performance enhancing product(creatine)in them. my thoughts only. but is the advantage of creatine any different than steroids, in the USA they have many products that are illegal in AUST. pretty unfair imo if ever i compete againt americans. look, i am not saying large amount are good, like every thing moderation is the key
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/10/13, 02:49 AM
It's your own fault you live where they have stupid laws. If you want to compete all's fair that's allowed by the rules
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/12, 05:45 PM
Earlier in the thread I mentioned how people get their idea of steroids from the media, and I remember specifically mentioning CNN.

Well check out both of these interviews...
http://www.wwe.com/inside/cenaoncnn/

To say that I am disgusted with CNN, as well as the whole of American media, would be an understatement. It is because of things like this that I get my news from overseas sources (RTE and al Jazeera). When you watch this, you should realize that this most likely not only applies to how the media portrays steroids, but that it can happen to other topics as well.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/12, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately steroids in the uneducated's eye(yes the mainstream media applies here) are simply used by a bunch of obsessed musclebound oafs. The reason for this is because that is what they choose to portray, due to a few unfortunate issues by abusers.

HRT is a wonderful undertaking, but many, by just hearing the name testosterone see it as an evil and dark thing.

Education is the key, knowlege is power. Read, educate, and enlighten your horizons.

Taking responsibility for your actions is a lost virtue.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/12, 10:06 PM
Seems like the link isn't working.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/10/wwe-bashes-cnn-over-editing-john-cena-interview-on-steroids/

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk