Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

sprained ankle and fitness recovery

Estherd
Estherd
United States
2007/07/15, 11:51 AM
I sprained my ankle last week-end for the second time in 4 months. Last time, I was mobile with only modest pain within a week, and almost pain free within 2 weeks. This time around, any amount of walking seems to make things worse. Went to a ball game yesterday with hub and had to walk to and from parking lot and do stairs in stadium. Today, I'm basically finished -- icing and painkillers. So, question 1 is how soon will it be before I can do just basic activities like walking around the house and picking up clutter?

Second, as a post-menopausal female with osteo issues, I have been doing a mile and a half walking program for my fitness, combined with yoga 2-3 times a week (at least one power session) and weights 2 times a week. I "lost ground" with fitness and weight the last time I was injured, and only just regained my former level. Now, I'm back where I was, only even more immobile. In one week, I've already put on 3-4 lbs due to inactivity, even with eating less than when I'm active -- I don't have much appetite. I'm concerned about turning into a blob, losing all muscle tone, etc. My spouse had ankle surgery a few years back and gained 80+ pounds in about 6 months. Short of a starvation diet (and that might not be too hard because at my activity level, I'm not that hungry) what can I do to avoid turning into an obese, unfit person because of my injury?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/18, 10:23 PM
Have you gotten an Xray yet? I turned my ankle in high school and had a nasty break/tear. Could be worse than just a sprain.

I am no expert (yet), but I personally like proprioception stability work for ankle re-hab. I would get my hands on some good resistance bands and some kind of wobble board or something.

The best advice I can give fitness wise is to pick up rowing and keep your nutrition in check. This won't only help keep you in shape, but it will help your ankle recover quicker.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Estherd
Estherd
United States
2007/07/20, 12:30 PM
I went to the doctor's this week, and it turns out, I didn't sprain my ankle, but broke the 5th metatarsal of my foot. She now has me in a boot cast on crutches for 4-6 weeks! She wants me off that foot or I will mess up healing the break. How on earth can I stay in shape and keep from turning into a blob? Obviously, my upper body will stay fit because after a day on crutches, those muscles already hurt. But what about the muscles in my right leg? won't they atrophy? also, won't I have to follow a very low cal regime, maybe 1000 cals per day or less to keep from gaining weight?
LisaScott18
LisaScott18
United States
2007/09/28, 01:47 PM
Ohh.. that sucks at least you caught that it was broken.. it would be worse if it never healed properly..
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/09/28, 01:57 PM
wow your body is injuried. Do not starve it. Eat clean and do waht you can in the gmy sitting down.....

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/10/02, 12:50 PM
Great advice!